Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bios password

Options
  • 05-05-2005 7:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I need to get access to a pc with a bios password on it. Is there anyway of overriding the bios password. The owner forgets what it was

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I believe if you remove the CMOS battery it overrides it, though with a user that forgets a BIOS password, you will probably have more problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

it massively depends on the motherboard/bios version, and then just google them... with alot of pc boards you can do a bios reset with jumpers on the mobo which will clear it, where as laptops tend to be harder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Find out what type of BIOS it is, and do a google search on backdoor passwords, or look for an update for the BIOS, it should remove the password when it updates, or try removing the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

3 replies in 1 minute... thats crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Easiest thing to do is Jump the board, find out what board it is, the go to manufacturers site and yo shoud get exact details of how to jump the board, should take no more than five minutes.

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Well ye see somethings like the newer dell laptops store the bios password details in nvram so bios/mobo style resets have no effect

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

on some of the older Dell laptops there was a utility to override the BIOS password - when it failed you needed a new motherboard.

old PC's you could leave the battery out for 15 mins.
    some newer ones need to be unplugged from the mains and have the battery removed over night or even longer !

other older pc's used a Dallas realtime clock a chip with a built in lithium battery soldered onto the motherboard .. not fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

you say you want to get the password out of A PC but not yours, hmmm..... /me rolls eyes suspiciously

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Wigertoods

most bios manufacturers have a "master" password that
    will work.you need to get the model no. right though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

dawballz wrote:
    A title of ........... is probably not the best as I would imagine a lot of people would overlook that thread thinking it was tripe/spam whatever

Advertisement