Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a Broadband Provider

Options
  • 05-05-2005 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm contemplating moving into a new apartment at the end of May. However, there is no broadband there at the moment, but the landlord has told me the lines are broadband enabled, as an apartment just under mine has got it in.
    I'm presuming I am going to have to pay for the install myself and the landlord won't help me out(I'm not sure but I'm assuming the worst), and obviously enough, I want the cheapest possible option for me, with the best broadband.
    I dont mind if it's cable satellite, wireless etc...

1. Can I get BB from any BB supplier or does it have to be Eircom(since the landlord told me the apartment downstairs is Eircom)? Or is it up to the landlord?

2. How much will it cost? For install? Per month? Is that offer still going where they install it for free and everything is free for the first 3 months?

3. Is there any catch to the above?

4. What equipment do I need/would they supply? Could I take this equipment along with me when I leave?

5. Is there a minimum contract with any providers? I will possibly only be staying in the apt for approx 3-4 months.

6. I have BB where I am at the moment, and my max dl speed is 180KB/s. How does this compare with eircom/esat etc.?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

1. You can get BB from any supplier you want, if the line is yours (I presume it would be in your name). I doubt the landlord will allow an aerial such as those needed by IBB.

2. Why don't you just check out www.broadband.gov.ie?

3. It's expensive? (Although check out BT's €49pm BB Plus inc Line Rental)

4. Depends on the provider, BT/Eircom/UTV usually provide equipment. Depending on which package you are on it may or may not be yours to keep.

5. Several providers now offer no min contract/6 month min contract (eg. Eircom/Netsource/BT)

6. That's good if it's Kilobytes/sec, but with any provider YMMV

<edit>That title is misinformative, and attention grabbing, leaving you open to spam etc. Why couldn't you just use "What broadband is best for me?" or something?</edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Title Changed

Advertisement