Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you invest your money?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Eh, I wouldn't feel comfortable with all my money in "risky" investments.

I like to keep it spread out etc.

Although, if another SSIA comes up I'll defo be taking it on. Was a fantastic way to save imo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I still have a certain amount of cash but just don't use banks for "saving".

I would not consider investing in stocks risky - if the right tools are used.
    Usual rules though - don't invest more than you can lose.

My job has plenty of other savings/stock schemes.
    Options/share purchasing and bonus to share programs !!

So I am fairly spread out alright but nothing associated with Irish stocks - I'd be the last one to find out anything !!!!!!

Would I be right in saying that Irish people in general are afraid or reluctant to invest - possibly after Eircom !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

karltimber wrote:
    The reason I invest in US stocks ,is so in years to come I can pay off my house and have no cash worries. Whatever happens in Ireland/Europe in the next 10 years, will not effect me the same as joe-blogs with his e250k morgage.
    Why do you assume that the US economy will beat the European economy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boa-constrictor

Pips and Peps are a complete waste of money. They are very agressively marketed by the banks and I've never met a person yet you was happy with them. You dont stand a chance with the bank gleaning off all the contribution fees and management fees. It would need to be invested in all the top performing shares for you to have even a small chance of gaining after all the bank will siphon off. Several friends of mine have signed up to them only to get out at a loss a couple of years later, and the guy in the bank will always tell you to wait it out (so he can make another 3 or 5 years commission out of you). There are mis-sold too. A friend of my younger brother, went in to start a saving scheme when he was around 20. He hadnt even a house and obviously that would have been his first aim so a 3 - 5 year savings product would have been appropriate but they gave him a 20 year PIP!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I suppose I made that assumption because I trade/invest in emerging companies and there will always be those around - in an up or down market !!

I really don't have a huge knowledge on economy's etc to disagree with you !!

I'm sure there are trading accounts for European stocks with the same level of info but I have settled with US stocks !! and there are probably just as many folks who trade Euro stocks and won't touch US ones.

I'm just happy with US stocks -- appologies if I made a blunt statement out of context or without merit !!

karl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

The stamp duty associated with Irish (and to a lesser extent British stocks) really put me off. I currently don't hold any Irish equities, only British and US. That said, purchasing non-Euro based equities (such as British or US) using Euros means that currency flucuations will effect your bottom line. For example, the dollar has strengthened so much since purchasing Company X stock six months ago, even if the stock price remains the same as on the day of purchase, I will make a good 10% if I choose to sell now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I queried your US-focussed policy because you didn't mention anything about currency risk. Any investment outside the Eurozone carries this risk. Ionapaul is lucky in having made a significant gain on the dollar movement in recent months, but it could just as easily have been a significant loss.

I'm not suggesting that you never invest outside the Eurozone, but I would suggest that you aim to get some balance into your portfolio and not leave yourself completely exposed to FX movements.

Advertisement