Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going For Gold

Options
  • 30-04-2005 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, who remembers Going For Gold?? Just after Neighbours '..with your host Mr. Henry Kelly...'

Ah those were the days.. either off sick from school or on mid-term break!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭acri

I loved that show. I can still sing the theme tune! magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

"the heat is on, the time is right, it's time for you, for you to play the game."
    "People are coming, everyone's trying, trying to be the best that they can."
    "coz we're going for, going for... GOLD!" :D

haha! I salute thee. all I remember from the show is the old presenter smiling all the time. theys were good days.... how old is that game now?

God only knows, but I remember being i Primary school so a good 16/17 years!! Ahhh :eek:

And here's the man himself

http://www.ukgameshows.com/index.php/Going_for_Gold

I loved the big buzzers they had to press! All gold and shiny! lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

henry kelly rulez! :) legend, anyone know if he done anything else but that fantastic show?

• Advertisement

so much gold....

I think he's on a radio station in England now, like radio 10 or someting. I'd say he's getting on a good bit. He was on 'Jack and Ali' on Spin a while back. He's Irish but moved other to Liverpool i think. I just remember he normally wore beige/tan suits and the hair parted to the side.

Here's info on the man himself..

http://www.moribundman.co.uk/Kelly.html

these sites are bringin back some fond memories. wadda legend.

Yeah, use to like the bit of Catchphrase with Roy. Good Auld Roy

• Advertisement

Do you remember that one by Des o'Conor 'Take your Pick' That was sooo funny!! Or where in the World on RTE with Theresa Lowe. That was quite boring I think I used to just watch that to try and stay up later on a Sunday night. It was on sometime after Glenroe and the news I think.

I loved that!! when the backround was all black and it wasnt shít! that was the best gameshow ever. bar none. well, possibly the crystal maze with the baldy lad. that was mega.

Oh yeah!! With Richard O'Brien. That was sometimes kinda scarry. I thought the people who got locked in the industrial zone would be stuck there forever!! And then he'd get out the harmonica and or start some weird conversation with the camera.

which one prefer Where in the World or Take your Pick?

what was Take Your Pick?

Take Your Pick was with De o'connor and he was tak to contestants and they werent allowed answer with Yes or No. And if they said it the girl banged the gong. And when they got through the 60 secs they got to pick a key and open a box with a prize or a tin or paint or whatever. My whole family used to watch it. Was great.

I havent actually watched that. Where in the World was ok. but still, "Say what you see". there was somethin else he always said. what was it!? i used to love Cant Cook Wont Cook aswell. ive no idea why. i was 9/10.

Oh you tlaking about Catchphrase. Ah Yes, Roy walker. Used to be so proud if i got it before the people on the show. Alot of the times they were just stupid! and you'd end up screaming at the tv! Or do you remember that one with Twink and Derek Davis, like Charades. Cant for the life of me remember the name!

Charades? hmm... not sure. Who's Line Is It Anyway? was a friggin hilarious game show. oh yeah, charades. erm...was it Win, Lose Or Draw by any chance? man, these are signs of a mis-spent youth.

no, but that reminds me of another show on ITV. Used to be on before This Morning adn there were two teams and one person would draw pictures to describe something on a white board. Oooh now that gameshow is annoying me, the one with Twink and Derek Davis. Ronan Collins used to present it. Ah Supermarket Sweep was the joy of being sick and staying at home!

• Advertisement

Play the Game it was called. Yes!! Knew it was in there somewhere. If only I knew all my maths equations, i would have passed honours! lol

ah Supermarket Sweep. always somethin good on the giant turtle. The Price Is Right was another good 'un. I cant think of any other morning shows though.

I know, Im racking my brain! I remember years ago there was a crosswords type of gameshow presented by Tom O'connor. Remember? There was of course Blockbusters and Blackboard jungle but I was kinda too young to be interested in that. I liked the gameshows with flashy backgrounds and at leat one or two questions I could answer!! lol

Crosswits? i didnt like that one so much. Talkabout!! remember that!? where one member of a couple got into a booth with headsets and then had to guess words and stuff. god i loved that. though i never admitted it to anyone.

With that awful eejit Alan Hughes. The stripey blazers he used to weat. Oh Dear God!! The knackers who wen on that show! And if the partner didnt get it right, there was war!! Family Fortunes was great with Les Dennis. Or physiquiz with that guy Kevin from Tallaght. I was meant to go on that but they were filming it two days after I went to Holland. Was gutted. My friend took my place. I so would have won!!

damn. i....i cant think of any more 80s-90s gameshows! hmm... a giant cheese pizza and Gladiator was my typical saturday evening.

couldnt watch gladiators as we had to go to 6.30 mass! There was that one with Bruce Forsyth, the generation game and noels house party (well not really a game show)

i never liked the generation game. dunno why. or family fortunes. i liked Lucky Break though. loved watchin the trick shots.

oh its comin back to me now Strike it Rich, which became strike it lucky with Michael barrymore. God bless him! "top, middle or bottom.."
    Family fortunes was class!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Kelly5.jpg

I didn't know Ryan Tubridy was the product of artificial insemination?

Advertisement