Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Poor state of D01

• 29-04-2005 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Anybody else think that D01 is a disgrace? Last count there was 10 pcs down. Think it’s a disgrace that the college have refused to anything about it. They really don’t give a sh*t about multimedia students. Over the past few weeks multimedia students have struggled to get assignments in on time (seen a girl in tears one night, her pc had crashed) because there is not enough working pcs to go around and the software that we use does not run properly on the pcs in the room. The new I.T. building has been little or no help to multimedia students. Lectures are also unable to teach classes properly in D01 due to equipment failing, can’t understand how they can put up with such poor teaching conditions. Can’t believe the college has been looking for university statues because what ive seen over the past couple of years, they don’t deserve it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Talaghn

I agree i dont got to the WIT but alot of me friends have said how bad the conditions are in there. Why should the government give money to them so they can become a UNI when theydont even have the standards to be and IT at the moment. They needto fix it up first!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭p~b

whats the difference between a uni and an It

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

p~b wrote:
    whats the difference between a uni and an It

Funding...

And Unis dont do sub degree level courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Talaghn wrote:
    I agree i dont got to the WIT but alot of me friends have said how bad the conditions are in there. Why should the government give money to them so they can become a UNI when theydont even have the standards to be and IT at the moment. They needto fix it up first!

It will take a while for WIT to do anything. Last year in d05 there was a leak in the roof and it took a couple of months to fix. Its not a nice feeling doing work on a pc when there a bucket filling up with water beside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

angry_fox wrote:
    It will take a while for WIT to do anything. Last year in d05 there was a leak in the roof and it took a couple of months to fix. Its not a nice feeling doing work on a pc when there a bucket filling up with water beside you.

d01 is bad but d04 and d02 are worst.

d02 is supposed to be for 4th year projects but you cant do anything in there because the pc's arent working or are a complete piece of sh*te- windows media player doesnt even work in there

• Advertisement

Good news is it that d04 has been cleaned out. I’m praying that they will put in better machines but they will probably turn it into an ordinary classroom. Think they have media player 7 installed on the machines in d02? It’s shocking that ye had to do a fourth year project in that room. Were ye completely ignored when ye complained about the room? Early in the year did anyone have to fill out a questionnaire about what we think about the college and what are future plans are?

im not sure what version of WMP it is but it dont play mp3's anyway.

when we complained they just ignored us to be honest

no i dont remember filling out or hearing about any questionaire that had to be filled out- i would of loved to of filled one out because i would of let them know in no uncertain terms what i thaught of this place

Lads, if you complain that you cannt listen to MP3's they arn't going to care...

i was just giving the example of mp3, if i was to mention everything i would be hear until tomorrow.

all the rooms in the D corridoor are rubbish and the I.t building aint much better

one would wonder why they call it an I.T building when on numerous occassions i was kicked out because there was a first year class for chefs or a class of agriculture.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,969 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'm getting fed up of being kicked out of the IT Labs because some lecturer wants to teach 3 bleedin students! there are, what, 30+ PCs in each IT room? so irritating. Also, too many of the PCs do not allow you to safely remove hardware(USB key, MP3 player ect.)

• Advertisement

Well if I were you id pick a better example, maybe something related to college work?

I.T. building is a bit of a joke alright, alot of it is offices some not realting to P&Q. I thought they were going to leave alot of the rooms in the E block for the other cources but obviously not...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

one would wonder why they call it an I.T building when on numerous occassions i was kicked out because there was a first year class for chefs or a class of agriculture.

Your dead right Bribren, i remember last year Dunphy told us that we would have a dedicated room for Multimedia in the IT building and that D01 would be brought up to standard!! I don't what planet he is on half the time.

only a few weeks ago when the two new dells for Video Editing where introduced he practically told people not to use them in case they get broken!!! Er, take a look around dopey!! Nothing works! God knows what the two boyo's get paid for in the little office they have?

i'm sick of these friggin night courses as well! why do they have to be in D01 when all they are been tought is how to use Dreamweaver, which is on a load of other computers! ?

Somebody robbed the flat screen for one of the new video machines. Security camera should be installed in d01. Had a phone robbed on me to. Somebody even robbed Dunphys memory stick.

Dunphy has been promised a new multimedia room, dvd burners etc, but as always he just gets f**ked by the college. He cant really give out because it might cost him his job, its really up to use to bring change, but what can we do?

New fourth year multimedia is trying to be pushed through by dunphy, but as usual he is getting the run around by the college.

Who is head of P&Q any way?

angry_fox wrote:
    Who is head of P&Q any way?

New guy, Micheal O' hEigeartaigh, came from DCU.

4th year multimedi!
    sounds good, but i suppose its all down to the subjects

What subjects would ye like to see introduced in a 4th Year Multimedia?
    If your a first/second/third year student what subjects would ye like to see introduced in your current years?

i think its disgracefull that we never get asked for feedback on these issues, never is our opinion asked. I know the college needs to think finances first but us students should have more of a input on the course. Maybe if a few of us(now in 3rd year) kicked up a fuss about the subjects in first/second year then we might have seen change?

For fourth year id like to see us learning 3D apps, more flash, php or coldfusion. The subjects in first and second were pretty crap (Communications, HCI......). Don’t worry second years it gets worse in third year. To be honest there's very little multimedia in third year. It felt more like an IT course. A lot of third years are un-happy and worried. Many feel they have wasted a year and some feel that they have learned nothing new. Its saddens me that at the end of a degree course im looking to go to other colleges. I dont blame the lectures, sure what can they do, but the college..... its a disgrace. They insult all computing students and me when they say they deserve uni status. It should'int even be called an "Institute of Technology"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like you need to by-pass the WIT entirly and get the local media onside

may I suggest writing/e-mailing/ the editors of Waterford Today, Munster Express and News and Star. Oh and Billy McCarthy on WLR FM

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Legend_Killer

Funny how were told time and time again that any serious graphic designers all make use of mac's yer their all safely locked away down the hallway..... oh the genius thats running this show deserves a medal!

Funny how were told time and time again that any serious graphic designers all make use of mac's yer their all safely locked away down the hallway..... oh the genius thats running this show deserves a medal!

A serious graphic designer!! WTF is that! i think what you meant to say was a serious graphic designer who can read, just as anyone else, the contents of a computer Arts tutorial and then sucsessfully click buttons as illustrated by a black and white handout!!

i don't want to sound like a complete "toilet seat", but whats a MAC?
    is it like pimp talk--for example -"hey yo MAC-daddy i'm going to fail you, mo-fo"

Legend has it that their like the computers in D01 but.............. WORK!

• Advertisement

i can't even spell MAC, let alone use one!
    much is the pity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 AC Slater

angry_fox wrote:

Quite like the fact that, the ahh leak is still there and the room is as **** as ever! DO4 is equally as bad, the size of them monitors should be illegal nowadays.
    I'm doin the 4th year IT course, and i'd say i have about 2 classes over in that building. Half the time its reserved for cookery or some crap, and dont get me started on some of the retarded students (not cookery) ... lets say the older lemons. ... one day theres 2 of them in the room with no lecturer and she goes "theres a class on in here" time being about half 10 or somethin like that, no lecturer, the two of them are auld first years that didnt have a clue anyway 1335.gif and hence theres no f*****g class in there . ignorant as hell anyway 188.gif

Good luck gettin UNI status, dosent deserve it at the moment anyway, puttin up a new building and all, why cant other "small" things be done, common repairs etc.....

Slater, would you recommend people do fourth year?

We had a networks class in D04 this year and id say we done about three classes. It was crap. Them monitors really hurt your eyes after an hour.

Freehand is crap.

angry_fox wrote:
    Freehand is crap.

Gettin that written as my epitaph i am! maybe ill even expand further and add that indesign is too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 AC Slater

some would like it, theres one or 2 multimedia girls dominatin in our class this year ... so ya never know, i'll let ya know when i get results! If they change the rooms around and plan it better, it could work out ok. We got projects thrown at us from all angles this year, wasn't handsome!
    Duno how semesterisation will work out for ye, better or worse, suppose just wait and see.
    We were lucky do get the course this year, was coming in to the year not knowing what was going on and thinkin we only had the other BSC course to do, which i probably would have droped out of after a few weeks.
    After doin F all for the year really, just crammin, im gettin by ... same for the last 4 years, remember college is all about crammin for exams, u learn sfa

AC Slater wrote:
    remember college is all about crammin for exams, u learn sfa

thats so true, especailly when it comes to crammin, you can remember stuff to a certain extent prior and during an exam but as soon as its over you pretty much forget it all again, and at the end of it all your no better than a goldfish.
    Expect of course that goldfish ain't got legs, ohh and a education, ohh and a student bank loan, but remember they are in schools!!!! HA AH HA HA AH HA HA HA..........HA!

It would be cool if we could have done some sort of work placement cuz in a job interview situation you'll always get asked "what did you do and what did you learn from your work expierence?". They are more interested in the practical side of education and learning rather than theory.

AC Slater wrote:
    some would like it, theres one or 2 multimedia girls dominatin in our class this year ... so ya never know, i'll let ya know when i get results! If they change the rooms around and plan it better, it could work out ok. We got projects thrown at us from all angles this year, wasn't handsome!
    Duno how semesterisation will work out for ye, better or worse, suppose just wait and see.
    We were lucky do get the course this year, was coming in to the year not knowing what was going on and thinkin we only had the other BSC course to do, which i probably would have droped out of after a few weeks.
    After doin F all for the year really, just crammin, im gettin by ... same for the last 4 years, remember college is all about crammin for exams, u learn sfa

im told that we wont actually have to go through semesterisation should we go on to fourth year. their only gonna do it for anyone starting in fist year!

so why did we not get a exam in AGD this easter, the reason given to us that we would no longer be doing easter exams as a result of the change and we ain't in first year!

so why did we not get a exam in AGD this easter, the reason given to us that we would no longer be doing easter exams as a result of the change and we ain't in first year!

Well that would be for future multimedia students wouldnt it? i for one dont plan on doing the year again and as a result wont have to think about the possibility of a third year easter exam in advanced graphic design!

• Advertisement

erh, what! It also be that the lecturer doesn't really know whats going on!!!!!!

Advertisement