Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finally finished my comp. what else can i do?

Options
  • 28-04-2005 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

hey again.

ive finally finished my custom p.c but now im stuck for ideas on what to do with it or to it.

what ive built so far.

i decided to built my own case. spent weeks looking for something i liked but wasnt able to find anything.
    ive made my case out of a type of mirror plastic.
    inside ive got...
    4 shelves for cd/dvd drives.
    floppy drive.
    and 6 spaces for hard drives.

it might sound big, but its very compact and light to carry. i installed 2 carry handles on either side, but removed them for 1 large handle on the top.

ive custom made my motherboard.
    i took the gigabit socket 939 pci exp. and shrunk it down.
    took me 3 attempts at it before i got it right.
    ive got 3 250 GB sata hard drives in side.
    its got 4 x 1024 dual channel ddr ram sticks in it.
    as i said its all custom built.
    ive put the amd athlon 64 4000+ 2.6ghz with watercooling around the cpu.
    not over heated yet. runs silent as a fox.
    ive got a 16 x 8 x 4 dual layer speed dvdrw ( liteon )
    and a 52 x 24 x 52 x 16 speed cdrw / dvd combi drive.
    256mb radeon rx600 pci express
    some wierd sound card 7:1.
    karmon hardon II sorround sticks.
    win xp pro.
    wireless keyboard and wireless optical mouse
    19" crt ( i hate flat panels )

the subwoofer, tower and monitor are all dark red mixed with dark orange metallic paint. the speakers are black with red/orange streaks through them. ( took a nads of a job to paint them properly concidering the casing is see throigh so i had to replace the casing. )
    every second key on the keyboard is red / orange / red / orange so on so forth.
    its got 6 x 2.0 usb ports, 4 ethernet ports, data card reader, tv card so i can copy movies off sky to dvd.

mainly i use it to play cs, copy dvd's, surf and design stuff. im planning a business soon so it will be used as a model design to what im gonna be selling.

but now since ive finished im pretty bored.
    anyone any suggestions to what else i can do?

the total price for the lot excluding manual labour was about £1400. ( thats sterling ) lol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Set it on fire and try to fix it...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

ive custom made my motherboard.
    i took the epox gigabit socket 939 and shrunk it down.

YA WAT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

lol. was thinking of that but then im scared my curtains will burn aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i reckon since you're finished and bored not knowing what to do i'd say you should, boot it up.

joke.
    any pics?
    i took the epox gigabit socket 939 and shrunk it down.

ye what? explain.

as in 3 boards? :)

4GB of RAM! :eek:

games?

YA WAT?

lol. well it took about 2 weeks, a lot of kicking stuff around the place, but it now about 2 inches smaller on all sides.

ill try get some screen shots but i aint got a camera handy.

• Advertisement

and yes. 3 epox boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Hey man,

Remember me? You agreed to sell me your Bond DVD collection way back in January and I haven't heard anything from you despite sending ya a gazillion pm's!!!!! Not on :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

lookin at my mobo now, its not an epox, but if i took half an inch off any side i'd be chopping off an ide port, or s-ata one or something important like that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

hmm.... don't know what to do ........ GIVE IT TO ME...... will find tons of things to do with it....... PROMISE

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Please post pics-dead interestd. Mmmmmm summertimes coming - too much time on my hands Mmwwwuuuhaaahhaaa

Nukem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Pics of EVERYTHING.

Inside/outside case from all different angles!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

i took the gigabit socket 939 pci exp. and shrunk it down.
    lol. well it took about 2 weeks, a lot of kicking stuff around the place, but it now about 2 inches smaller on all sides.

As the auld lad over the road says: Haa?
    Sorry for harping back to this but I am still kinda reeling in shock at this part. How did you manage to chop 2 inches off a printed circuit board with about 6 layers of circuitry, God only knows how many tiny resistors,transistors,diodes,capacitors,etc., not tomention dozens of IC chips and connectors - and it still works????
    Are we picking you up wrong here and are you by any chance referring to the plate of the case onto which the main circuit board of your pc is attached, ie. the motherboard mounting plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

maybe he bent the sides up...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Shrunken motherboard eh? This i have to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

need to see loads of pics of this, mainly the motherboard!
    Why did you Get cheap on the Gxf card, would have been a very decent machine apart from that. can you give more detalis on the ram (speed, timings)

Can you explain how you "Shrunk" the motherboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

aaf wrote:
    Hey man,

Remember me? You agreed to sell me your Bond DVD collection way back in January and I haven't heard anything from you despite sending ya a gazillion pm's!!!!! Not on :mad:

Why does me thinks we'll never see pics of this rig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

SwampThing wrote:
    Why does me thinks we'll never see pics of this rig :D

sorry? are you a bit sceptical? :-)

Who? Me?? Not for a moment Uber - never!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

aw now come on, any eeeejit can shorten a motherboard by 2 inches.

Sure ya don't need half the layers of silicone in em theses days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

how the **** did you shrink your mainboard?? :confused:

you'd have to cut all those circuts built into the board, and lots of other impossible stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭ozmo

bounty wrote:
    how the **** did you shrink your mainboard?? :confused:

you'd have to cut all those circuts built into the board, and lots of other impossible stuff

I've worked with a company that produced a 10 layer board - took 6 months r&d to produce a board rom scratch with no crosstalk interference and get it working. It would however be completly impossible to modify an existing board - even 6 layer - and anyway why would you even bother.

Also a pc with 4 ethernet ports ?? whats that about?

bit late for april 1st...

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

who would waste that cash on three mobos and 4 gigs of ram if this is true why the hell do u need that many..

did u have ur waffles for breakfast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

So, did you use regular solder to put in the extra ram slots? Or did you use high quality solder? I'm also interested in how you got the bios to recognise 4 gigs of ram. Did you rewrite the bios to take advantage of the extra ram slots you added in?

As for shrinking the motherboard, could you do that for mine? I'd prefer if mine was pocketsized, so i could carry it around with me so that i could use it anywhere. You never know when you might need one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Talk about a load of ****e. Anybody that even remotely believes this is mad. Even if the mb was cabable of 4 gigs of ram, anybody putting 4 gigs in their machine would already have a use for it. You wouldnt be on here looking for suggestions on what to use it for. pfffft.

aaf wrote:
    Hey man,

aff, I think that Bond DVD collection might turn out to be Noddy & BigEars in ToyTown; on betamax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

SwampThing wrote:
    aff, I think that Bond DVD collection might turn out to be Noddy & BigEars in ToyTown; on betamax
    If it's the pron version, I'll take it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I can smell BS tbh :)

Also, how can you hate flat panels? You should get a nice flat panel like my 2001fp. I can't even look at crts anymore. They give me a headache!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

just to go along with the theme of this thread...

... did i mention that last week while on my lunch break, i modified my playstation 2 to run windows xp? it took a bit of hacking and tinkering with the old solder and hammer, ceating a new pci express slot was a little tricky, but i finally got it to install and now im running half life 2 on it :p screenshots coming soon

bounty wrote:
    just to go along with the theme of this thread...

... did i mention that last week while on my lunch break, i modified my playstation 2 to run windows xp? it took a bit of hacking and tinkering with the old solder and hammer, ceating a new pci express slot was a little tricky, but i finally got it to install and now im running half life 2 on it :p screenshots coming soon

Bounty, that's nothing!!

I've got the fastest CoD server, in the world!!!, running on a senior infants abacus; with 10 petabytes of storage on play-dough disks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I've got a 10 gig penis.

Advertisement