Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norway woman convicted for rape

Options
  • 28-04-2005 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Norway woman convicted for rape

OSLO, Norway (Reuters) -- A Norwegian court has sentenced a woman to nine months in jail for raping a man, the first such conviction in the Scandinavian country that prides itself for its egalitarianism.

The 31-year-old man fell asleep on a sofa at a party in January last year and told the court in the western city of Bergen he woke to find the 23-year-old woman was having oral sex with him.

Under Norwegian law, all sexual acts with someone who is "unconscious or for other reasons unable to oppose the act" are considered rape.

The court sentenced the woman on Wednesday to nine months in jail and ordered her to pay 40,000 Norwegian crowns ($6,355) in compensation.

"This is a very harsh sentence," the woman's lawyer, Per Magne Kristiansen, told the Norwegian news agency NTB. The woman argued the man had been awake and consented.

The prosecutor had sought a 10-month sentence and argued the court should not be more lenient with a woman than a man. It was Norway's first conviction of a woman for rape.

Norway has long traditions of equality -- 40 percent of the cabinet of Prime Minister Kjell Magne Bondevik, for instance, are women.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Poor guy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

kasintahan wrote:
    Poor guy :rolleyes:

wow - you just condoned rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Jeez Thats damn harsh, he probably was consious for some of it...
    and really, its not like it hurt or he's going to have scaring memories of this.

Over the top!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

kjt wrote:
    and really, its not like it hurt or he's going to have scaring memories of this.

Over the top!!

How do you know whether it hurt or not? Or the emotional and mental scars that may be left as a result of it? How different is it to a woman waking up to find a man having sex with her? Is it because there is penetration that you beleive it's more serious or aggresive?

rape and abuse is unacceptable whether it's male on female or female on male, it should be punished and a clear deterrant set out to prevent it happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

kjt wrote:

Over the top!!

Omg the double stander's are alive and well i see Man gets raped = ok Women gets raped = biggest evil on the planet If a man did this he would be in prison and rightfuly so a women is sent to jail for it to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Silent Grape

why is it over the top? if i woke up and found a man going down on me, i would be very distressed, probably suffer from anxiety after the incident, and i would definetely report him for sexual assault. why should a man feel any less violated.

i enjoy oral sex, just like men do, but that doesnt mean i would enjoy a random stranger doing it to me, against my will, while im unconscious.

just like i enjoy sex very much, doesnt mean i enjoyed having a man have sex with me while i was unconscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I bet she wasn't hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

^^ rofl. So very true.

uberwolf wrote:
    wow - you just condoned rape.

I don't condone it but it's not rape IMO.

1. Men and women regard sex differently (with regards to the separation of the physical and emotional aspects of it). There is no getting away from this.
    2. It wasn't against his will at the time of the occurrece only possibly against his will. I would consider the probability that the average male would accede to such a request a mitigating factor.
    3. It was only oral (still rape yes, but less so).

Of course, as with everything I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.
    In fact given that I highly regard Scandic society I would expect to have my opinions changed on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Perhaps the incident distressed him, or otherwise caused him hassle. I know if I woke up and some bint sucking me off, I'd be worried 1. What I might catch off her and 2. what would happen if my girlfriend found out - "She did it without my consent" wouldn't wash with most girlfriends.

[Edit - It also only said "He awoke to find her having oral sex with him". How do we know he didn't wake up with a mouthful of fur? I know that'd distress me.]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Giblet wrote:
    I bet she wasn't hot.

was kinda thinking the same, but then again, he was asleep, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Interesting. If I fancied the girl before hand and awake to this I would be very happy. If it was a random stranger who was ugly I'd tell her what the ****. If it was a random stranger who was pretty I'd probably let her continue.

In all cases I would not report her to the police.

However, I understand I am not everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Double standards indeed. You don't even know the purpose she had intended. Isn't there a case of a gay woman doing something similar to get sperm? She had a baby with said sperm and then sued him for child support!
    The woman could be HIV positive he could be married and one for the simple minded she could have been ugly. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

kasintahan wrote:

rape1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rp)
    n.
    The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.

1. Men and women regard sex differently (with regards to the separation of the physical and emotional aspects of it). There is no getting away from this.

regardless of whether you feel that men are capable of seperating emotion and sex, that's hardly relevant in this case. At best it's invasion of space and body, at worst it's also deeply embarrassing and a mental and physical violation.

2. It wasn't against his will at the time of the occurrece only possibly against his will. I would consider the probability that the average male would accede to such a request a mitigating factor.

She didn' wake him to ask him was he up for it did she? No, she took advantage of him when he wasn't in a position to defend himself. How different is this to a girl waking to a guy on top of her?

What makes you think it was less traumatic or invasive? Do you think that the act of penetration causes greater emotional and mental damage than being forced to subject to other sexual acts? I would argue that the kind of attitude and thought process that would bring you to that conclusion is immature at the very least and shows a complete lack of awareness as to the impact that any kind of a sexual or phsyical assault has on a person

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In fact, another question. Would this be more criminal if the man was gay, or it was a hetero woman she was performing the act on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Maybe he was gay.. nobody think of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

kjt wrote:

Yeah and sure most women who are "raped" are really sluts who are up for it and then have second thoughts ... :rolleyes: :mad:

i think it is about time there was a ruling like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The woman could be HIV positive he could be married and one for the simple minded she could have been ugly. :eek:

Not trying to go off-topic here, but you can't get HIV from "normal" oral sex.

By "normal" I mean your penis is not bleeding, and her mouth is not bleeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

seamus wrote:
    In fact, another question. Would this be more criminal if the man was gay, or it was a hetero woman she was performing the act on?

The only real question you need ask youself is what would happened if a man did this to a women ? and i think we all know the answer to that plus this thread wouldnt be here with insane people claiming the woman wasnt raped because it was "only" oral

kasintahan wrote:
    WTF?

That arugment is right up there with saying a girl in a sexy dress is asking to get raped.
    kasintahan wrote:

It was only sexual assault then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kasintahan wrote:
    what would you call it then, sexual assault? It is rape in the courts definition
    kasintahan wrote:
    So you think rape laws should be sexually discriminate? what about other laws? Are there any crimes you think men should be sentenced to less than women?
    kasintahan wrote:
    Reminds me of the old "she was asking for it" line. She was wearing a low cut top so there was a high probability she wouldnt mind me licking the box off her while she slept, your honour....

kasintahan wrote:
    now you sound like bill clinton

Iago wrote:
    rape1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rp)
    n.
    The crime of forcing another person to submit to sex acts, especially sexual intercourse.
    Sure, but even your definition eludes the common understanding that rape is generally accepted as being penetrative. The penetration I would consider a lot more violent.
    As a crude example I would ask you whether, hypothetically, you would prefer to be sucked off or penetrated?
    Iago wrote:
    regardless of whether you feel that men are capable of seperating emotion and sex, that's hardly relevant in this case. At best it's invasion of space and body, at worst it's also deeply embarrassing and a mental and physical violation.
    Agreed, I do believe what she did was wrong.

Iago wrote:
    She didn' wake him to ask him was he up for it did she? No, she took advantage of him when he wasn't in a position to defend himself. How different is this to a girl waking to a guy on top of her?
    Penetrative rape is much more involved and requires the physical domination of another human. Men are usually bigger and stronger. It's not like he woke up and knew he couldn't stop her.
    Iago wrote:
    Do you think that the act of penetration causes greater emotional and mental damage than being forced to subject to other sexual acts?
    Yes. Not to mention physical damage.

kasintahan wrote:
    Penetrative rape is much more involved and requires the physical domination of another human. Men are usually bigger and stronger. It's not like he woke up and knew he couldn't stop her.

The guy was asleep. If you sexually assault a woman while she is asleep, are you saying that is not that bad? What if a priest sexually assaults a boy? Is that not that bad because penetration doesn't take place?

Rape is type of sexual assault. ALL types of sexual assault is just as horrible

Wicknight wrote:
    WTF?
    It was only sexual assault then

The are different, both crimes, but different. That's how our law sees it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

dublindude wrote:
    Not trying to go off-topic here, but you can't get HIV from "normal" oral sex.

By "normal" I mean your penis is not bleeding, and her mouth is not bleeding.

Agreed it is unlikely but would it freak you out! And this does not sound like "normal" oral sex so it definitley would cross your mind.

Wicknight wrote:
    The guy was asleep. If you sexually assault a woman while she is asleep, are you saying that is not that bad? What if a priest sexually assaults a boy? Is that not that bad because penetration doesn't take place?

I believe that if priest A (or whoever) is caught with his hand on the alterboys knee and priest B inserted up to the hilt - that they have both comitted different crimes, yes.

kasintahan wrote:
    I believe that if priest A (or whoever) is caught with his hand on the alterboys knee and priest B inserted up to the hilt - that they have both comitted different crimes, yes.

What if a priest is caught with the boys genitals in his mouth and if he is caught penetrating the boy. Technically they are different actions, but I think you would be a long time trying to convince people that the first action is not as bad as the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So if the woman had been penetrating him with a dildo while he was sleeping do you think she should have got a longer sentence?

Or would he again have been a "poor guy :rolleyes: "

Reminds me of the female schoolteacher cases where they molest male pupils, "jesus the lucky little bastard"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, what should put a stop to the "whether it was rape or not" argument is the paragraph that says:
    Under Norwegian law, all sexual acts with someone who is "unconscious or for other reasons unable to oppose the act" are considered rape.

Therefore she raped him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

kasintahan wrote:
    Sure, but even your definition eludes the common understanding that rape is generally accepted as being penetrative. The penetration I would consider a lot more violent.
    As a crude example I would ask you whether, hypothetically, you would prefer to be sucked off or penetrated?

So if your mother or little sister woke up to find some man sucking their vagina, or fingering them, this wouldn't be a problem?

If she rammed a dildo up his behind would that have made it okay? Or if he woke up to find a man with his penis in the victims mouth? Where do you draw the line exactly? Or is it acceptable to you because the victim is a man and the rapist a woman, and he's supposed to love it anyway?

Double standards indeed.
    It's not like he woke up and knew he couldn't stop her.

What difference does that make? Does that mean that if a woman manages to get a rapist off her while he's doing it (by spraying mace in his eyes or whatever) - it's okay? She should just run along home and forget about it, because he didn't get to finish what he started?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement