Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good bars for the over 30's?

Options
  • 18-04-2005 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Hey all,

I've recently moved back to Dublin and I am currently single (boo! hiss) To remedy this situation I was wondering can anyone recommend some good bars/clubs where the late twenty to thirty something single ladies hang out? I am 33 myself. Don't tell me Copper face jacks! :-)

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭almostagassi

break for the border on drury street has that age category,

but if u want style and class, dawson street which runs paralle to grafton street has upmarket bars like cafe en seine, ron blacks to name two. you will not find 18 yr olds in runners getting in there.

or try my fav, the market bar off georges street, but its not good for meeting new people, trendy for late twenties.

there is The Bank on dame street, but seems more for after work drinks,

avoid q bar, redz, the palace, boomerangs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Avoid town tbh.

Drink in Ranalagh, Rathmines, Donnybrook, Terenure, Milltown, Clontarf.

They all have large locals stuffed to bursting point on weekends with the age impared.

Usually the more flash/exclusive the venue, the older the crowd. Be prepared to spend big money on drinks in those places in town though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭fischerspooner

Previous poster - what bars in clontarf are packed with 20 somethings? I moved to clontarf recently and all the locals are mostly filled with middle aged people and none bar harry byrne's are even that busy, unless you include that Bar Code which is a teen-fest.
    Also - meeting women in Dublin is not an easy task, especially in that age group. Most decent looking women in Dublin tend to be settled by that age, with a ridiculously impossible mortgage and living in a boxy apartment/duplex somewhere on the outskirts of dublin with their boyfriend.
    But there's probably a few wrote-off birds around the place that you can ask out if you have the courage, if you can be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

All the city centre pubs and clubs are full of 17-23 y/o muppets who have the energy to que to get in, the stupidity to pay in, the patience to wait for a barman to eventually serve them in a sea of people.
    The publican makes a fortune, the young people get laid, but if youre over 25 and want to simply relax in a mature environment with decent service- youre ****ed, especially on a weekend night.

Personally, wherever I go there is usually some sort of compromise being made, wether its the conceited gits I might have to mix with in Dawson street bars, the lack of seating in Solas, or the uber-trendy twats and astronomical prices of Dame Lane and so forth.
    You may just be better off avoiding the city centre, especially on the weekend.

On the northside a nice mature crowd can be found in The Ivy House, Drumcondra, where the staff treat you like a human being and there is usually a few decent lookin single people knockin about. Also you can play cards or jenga.

Similary, check out the Botanic house, Glasnevin, which serves late every night and exudes distinctly tangable 25-30 year old meat market vibes.

Just down the road from that, Porterhouse North is spacous and has a decent crowd, but they tend to stick to themselves a bit more so your chances of scoring there are a more limited. Its still a nice pub.

If youre on the Southside Im sure there are plenty of great bars around Rathmines etc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Hogan's on George's Street has a very mixed age group. Usually a little bit older if you want to check it out. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

or try my fav, the market bar off georges street, but its not good for meeting new people, trendy for late twenties.

Noisiest Place I have ever been in my life. :p
    Stay out of town,apart from a few of the quieter spots. I'd recommend O'Neills on Pearse Street. Fine pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

break for the border on drury street has that age category,
    What? :eek: It's a kip full of kids. And anyway, once you get to this sort of age why would you be daft enough to pay to get in a pub? They'd have to pay me to go in there!!
    I'd second the places womoma mentions. All very good indeed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

But there's probably a few wrote-off birds around the place that you can ask out if you have the courage, if you can be bothered.

and of course all the single men of the same age are all Brad Pitt lookalikes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Stags Head, Dame Tavern, The Palace Bar on fleet street or Grogans, there's always a mixed bag. Although I do have affection for auld lads pubs. :):) McSorelys in Ranelagh or Mother Reillys, Slatterys in Rathmines. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Previous poster - what bars in clontarf are packed with 20 somethings? I moved to clontarf recently and all the locals are mostly filled with middle aged people and none bar harry byrne's are even that busy, unless you include that Bar Code which is a teen-fest.
    Also - meeting women in Dublin is not an easy task, especially in that age group. Most decent looking women in Dublin tend to be settled by that age, with a ridiculously impossible mortgage and living in a boxy apartment/duplex somewhere on the outskirts of dublin with their boyfriend.

THe Parlor Bar ( where the hollybrook hotel used to be) is filled with 25 + crowed most weekends, and it's usualy packed too. if i do head there i usualy get there about 7:30 just so i can get a seat. Most of the pubs in clontarf you will be doing very well to score in tbh. I have been chatted up a few times in the parlor , so it's decent enough there =)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

The porterhouse just off temple bar. Sod looking for a date the beer is great. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

This might sound like a slightly off-the-wall solution to your situation, but rather than wasting your money in **** bars trying to meet desperate women in their 30's, why not save yourself a lot of money/bother/time by taking a nice holiday to Estonia (no uglies) and meet a beautiful/slim/non-depressing girl there? You could easily talk her into moving to Ireland.

Sure, if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out. But at least you'll get a holiday out of it/won't feel like you're feeding shamu when you have sex.

dublindude wrote:
    trying to meet desperate women in their 30's

what is wrong with you people? just cos you are in your 30's doesn't mean you are desperate for some 40 something, beer bellied, balding bloke....

might I also point that he is looking for pubs like this cos he desperately trying to find a woman....

Beruthiel wrote:
    what is wrong with you people? just cos you are in your 30's doesn't mean you are desperate for some 40 something, beer bellied, balding bloke....

might I also point that he is looking for pubs like this cos he desperately trying to find a woman....

In my experience, when women hit their 30's and they are single, something in them clicks and they become desperate. They might claim otherwise as they sip their white wine and read "The Rules", but I assure you, I have never met a non-desperate single woman in her 30's.

Some just hide it better, but it's there...

dublindude wrote:
    In my experience, when women hit their 30's and they are single, something in them clicks and they become desperate. They might claim otherwise as they sip their white wine and read "The Rules", but I assure you, I have never met a non-desperate single woman in her 30's.

Some just hide it better, but it's there...

really
    so tell me
    how come you know so much about these women?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Beruthiel wrote:
    really
    so tell me

can't you figure that one out yourself ;)

Gilgamesh wrote:
    can't you figure that one out yourself ;)

oh I know exactly
    but I'm waiting to see if he'll admit it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

Beruthiel wrote:
    really
    so tell me

probably because he has been with more of them than you have.

women in their 30's are usually fairly hot and heavy in the relationship stakes... last chance dance and all that.

' hello, my name is Ben Dover, and am looking for someone to ...errrr..... Interview, yes, that's it, interview about ....err..... Landscaping', hehe

Ruthie, don't think he will fall for your 'trap' now, X-)

Beruthiel wrote:
    really
    so tell me

Well, I can't name every experience I've had in my life, but the obvious one which comes to mind is my 31 year old single flatmate and all her 30-something-single friends. Sure, they're a laugh, but the one thing they have in common (apart from the obvious) is their desperation factor. They all have a deep sadness because they have no man. It's all they care about.

They're the kind of women who think the "girls" from sex and the city are cool (when in fact, they're desperate, pathetic and ruled by men.)

I'm not trying to be overly harsh for no reason, but I think if women in their 30's were honest they'd admit meeting a nice man is the number 1 priority in their life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

dublindude wrote:
    Well, I can't name every experience I've had in my life, but the obvious one which comes to mind is my 31 year old single flatmate and all her 30-something-single friends. Sure, they're a laugh, but the one thing they have in common (apart from the obvious) is their desperation factor. They all have a deep sadness because they have no man. It's all they care about.

They're the kind of women who think the "girls" from sex and the city are cool (when in fact, they're desperate, pathetic and ruled by men.)

I'm not trying to be overly harsh for no reason, but I think if women in their 30's were honest they'd admit meeting a nice man is the number 1 priority in their life.

Funny stuff -
    Men mature like fine wine wheras women mature like milk ;)

scribs wrote:
    women mature like milk ;)

you mean they turn Lumpy and the smell of them makes you want to throw up???????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

dublindude wrote:
    but I think if women in their 30's were honest they'd admit meeting a nice man is the number 1 priority in their life.

how is that different for any other age group?
    also
    number one priority?! :eek:

Beruthiel wrote:
    also

I don't really want to get into a debate on the internet.

I agree that everyone is looking for someone, but there seems to be something about women in their 30's... they snap out of it a bit in their 40's (maybe they give up hope?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Beruthiel wrote:
    also

I don't think it is the same for all age groups. Peope in their 20's can meet people a lot easier and are generally at the peak of their looks. There are lots of other single people about and most of your friends are also single. By the time you are in your 30s many of your friends are in steady relationships and having kids so you have less people to go out with. You may have began to look a bit worse for wear or at least feel like you aren't the best. There are less people single around your age and have similar interests. There is also the biological clock which does certainly kick in on people and can make people really desperate to have kids. This on it's own can make woman appear really desperate. I have friends who are girls and some of them find out about men wanting children in the first date and dump them if they don't like the answer. It's a very different singles market.
    Blokes have the same problems but the biological clock doesn't kick in the same way. Blokes also go for younger woman creating more desperate 30s woman.
    Many of my friends have bought houses and/or got engaged within 2 years of meeting somebody which seems really sudden to me.

Gilgamesh wrote:
    you mean they turn Lumpy and the smell of them makes you want to throw up???????? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Its been known to happen :D

Many of my friends have bought houses and/or got engaged within 2 years of meeting somebody which seems really sudden to me.

Scary S*it - Anyone have a look at teh Irish Independent today. Ilfe magazine has an article on it All not Happy Ever After.
    Marriage isnt something that shoul dbe jumped into just because your feeling left on the shelf.
    Personally im going to wait till im 50 then marry Britney spears daughter :D

scribs wrote:
    Personally im going to wait till im 50 then marry Britney spears daughter :D

What age are you now? She may not last until her 30's... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

dublindude wrote:

Amen brother! You speak the truth. In general most women don't age well, plus they have that pesky biological clock ticking away... eventually they realise that Mr. Brad Pitt isn't going to come knocking for them, because he's not real and the woman is more bet down by the day.

Then, it's decision time, stay alone and keep cats or settle for any ugly/personality deficient male that comes along.

A handsome male like myself, if groomed and kept properly, can pull a 20 odd yo girl even up to 40 (and I've seen older lads do it!). Plus, we don't get periods. I'm so glad I'm a man.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

good bars for the over 30's?

Hey all,

I've recently moved back to Dublin and I am currently single (boo! hiss) To remedy this situation I was wondering can anyone recommend some good bars/clubs where the late twenty to thirty something single ladies hang out? I am 33 myself. Don't tell me Copper face jacks! :-)

Thanks for any advice!

i HEAR YOU! :cool: i'M IN A SIMILAR PREDICAMENT - most of FRIENDS ARE engaged and getting married - all in the same year! So if you need a wingman with no sense of shame by all means count me in! :cool:

Advertisement