Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite classical piece

Options
  • 18-04-2005 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

I have a few but at the moment it's overture to william tell.

am also a big fan of pacobells (sp) cannon. Anyone know where to track this down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

Pachelbel's Canon has got to be one of my fav's aswell... although I love Air on a G String too... soo nice!

other than that, Hadyn's Te Deum, and Oh Fortuna from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana...

looks like you can get a copy of it here: (about 3/4 down the page!) http://www.soundclick.com/pro/?BandID=311999 - I don't know how good it will be though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

oh fortuna is brill

sang that in the concert hall with my school choir, was magic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭conformist

heres where you can get some great classic pieces
    but this one is my fave

www.purevolume.com/stevenotroney

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Pachelbel's Canon has got to be one of my fav's aswell... although I love Air on a G String too... soo nice!

Pachelbel's Canon in G Major is certainly one of my favourites too (being a viola player I might also be a bit biased). I used to love playing that with the string quartets on Grafton St. many moons ago.

I also really like Albinoni's Adagio in G minor & Barber's Adagio for Strings (even if it was an absolute git to perform)

Other favourites would include

Mozart: Symphony No.40, the overture from 'The Marriage of Figaro'
    Pergalassi: Nina
    Mendhelesson Violin Concerto in E minor

A couple of Tchaikovsky symphonies (including No.4 if I recall correctly?) which escape me right now and a Shostakovic Symphony that I had great fun performing.

There is also a Viola Concerto by Teleman that I used to love performing, and a Viola Duet concerto by him also. Can't recall the exact names now though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

oooh, those two guys who used to play on grafton street with the "pimp my violins" were brill at the cannon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

I love le Onde by Einaudi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 JamesMcFenlon

Requriem by mozart is my fave piece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Geranium wrote:
    I love le Onde by Einaudi.

I like that too.

Rachmaninov Prelude in C Sharp Minor Op. 3/2 is one of my all time favourites. Those first chords are magical. In fact, I love all of Rachmaninov's music. :)

I also enjoy most of Chopins work (esp. Minute Waltz in D flat Op. 64/1), aswell as Mozart (k331 Sonata).

oh, Beethoven aswell!

Brahms....Lizt....Debussy.....Schumann.....Einaudi.....Nyman......man, there's so many! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

Two of my favourites have already been mentioned:
    • Albanoni's Adagio for Organ and Strings
    • Mozart's Requiem - my favourite movements/sub-movements would be the opening 'Requiem Aeternam', 'Rex Tremendae ..' and 'Recordare ..' (..that might save one from sitting through the entire mass)

They're both quite dramatic works, and dripping with ... :confused: 'pathos' I think is an appropriate word. I seem to be quite susceptible to that type of music.

Minor key pieces always move me more than a piece in a major key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

Yeah, I seem to be the same.

It's intriguing - why this is - in my opinion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tommy Turtle

Clare de Lune by Debussy , Romeo And Juliet Overture by Tchaikovsky and of course Moonlight Sonata download them now if u never heard them (or buy them if u wana be proper bout it)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I do Love Sabre Dance by Khachaturian.
    Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven
    Canon by Pachobelli
    L'oiseau Rebelle (or whatever it's called) from Carmen by Bizet always had a special place in my heart.
    Ave Maria by Schubert is lovely also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Don't know if this counts but I love Pie Jesu - is hauntingly beautiful.
    Moonlight Sonata is also a favorite.
    Claire De Lune is very relaxing - just end up floating away listening to it.
    I still regret not taking lessons in piano - even feeling the keys is magical.

Saties Gymn. No.1

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Varese - Amériques

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ania

I'm a big fan of Chopin and Haydn.

Although it's barock (not classical) I love Bach and Antonio Vivaldi's "Four Seasons", especially "Spring".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Saties Gymn. No.1

Gnossienne no1 isn't bad either...spent the weekend listening to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 voo-doo-wop

Gotta be Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights or Danse Macabre by Saint-Saens. Proppa good!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Oh I love Danse Macabre...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

How could I ever choose? Anything from Handel's Messiah or Mozart's Requiem, eh... Serse: Larghetto by Handel, 3rd Movement from Beethoven's Symphony No. 3....
    I suppose if I had to pick one piece, I do think that Allegri's Miserere is really something special.

Just listening to Lizts Mephisto Waltz No.1.

So so cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 G-RÓID

prelude inc sharp minor op3/2 by the one and only Rachmaninov

he the man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

When the question was asked about your favourite piece of 'classical' music, did that mean music from the classical period or was it the more generic term which throws all music played by an orchestra into the same banal pit? ;)

The banal one I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

yup, banal.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Alqua

Yep, but do feel free to specify your favourite Baroque, Romantic, Renaissance etc. pieces if you want to. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana
    Musica Poetica by Carl Orff
    Love them......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I like that too.

Rachmaninov Prelude in C Sharp Minor Op. 3/2 is one of my all time favourites. Those first chords are magical. In fact, I love all of Rachmaninov's music. :)

I also enjoy most of Chopins work (esp. Minute Waltz in D flat Op. 64/1), aswell as Mozart (k331 Sonata).

oh, Beethoven aswell!

Brahms....Lizt....Debussy.....Schumann.....Einaudi.....Nyman......man, there's so many! :)

lol. I'm learning that Prelude at the moment. Well, learn is a loose term, i haven't been playing half enough lately. That piece is one of the most powerful pieces going on the piano.

As for favourites, there's so many. I love Liszts Liebstraum (sp) and any of his Rhapsodies. All Rach's preludes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 warpath

Well, many of you will disagree, but my favourite peices are all Mozart. Schubert's Piano Sonata in B flat, 3rd movement D.960 and his Moment Musical No.3 in F minor "Air russe" D.780 are close behind along with Haydn's String Quartet No.5 in D major Op.64 "The Lark": (1-4) - but Mozart's fearful symmetries are just too amazing to have any other peices come into the same catagory. (No offence intended) I say that particular statement because most people don't realize just how much Mozart hid his genuis. Beethoven's peice are very pleasing to the ear, but are nothing in comparison to having a beautiful symmetry take you completely by surprise and fill your eyes with tears from not only "happy" tears, but sad ones also. It is sad because how can one man create so many masterpieces so unlike any other composer. (I've counted rughly about 50 genuine symmerical MASTERPIECES) I can list about 40 of Mozart's top slow and fast compositions but i will only go to 5 each.

Favourite Slow
    i) Piano Concerto No.24 in C minor: Larghetto (K.491)
    ii) Piano Sonata No.11 in A major: Andante Grazioso (K.331)
    iii) Piano Concerto No.19 in F major: Allegretto (K.459)
    iv) March from his opera Idomeneo <
    Would be my fav but too short
    v) Serenade No.10 in B major "Gran Partita": Adagio (K.361) <
    (ingenuities aren't very hidden so most will like this one the best, the reason I don't is because it is exactly that. I had to put it never-the-less because once in awile there is nothing like "Gran Partita" to examplifly Mozartean grace and perfection)

Favourite Fast
    i) Piano Sonata No.11 in A major: Rondo: Alla Turca (K.331)
    ii) Piano Concerto No.22 in E flat major: Allegro (K.482) <
    I listened to it so much in the past I totally forgot about it. Kinda bored of it now, but it is an incredible peice never-the-less.
    iii) Piano Quintet in E flat major: Rondo: Allegretto (K.452)
    iv) Overture to Marriage of Figaro: (K.492)
    v) Violin Concerto No.2 in D major: Rondo: Andate Grazioso-Allegro Ma Non Troppo (K.218) <
    just try and find ONE note that isn't absolute PERFECT
    vi) Violin Concerto No.5 in A major: Rondo: Tempo Di Minuetto (K.219)

There are about 40+ other compositions that are relatively weaker in attack, but still far surpasses the next leadind composer. (Haydn)

To give you an idea of just how many masterpieces the man created... Listen to his Oboe Concerto in C major: Rondo: Allegretto (K.314) This particular peice probably isn't even in the standard Mozart concert repetoire but it is a very nice MASTERPIECE. (40-51 seconds in there is a very nice bass line) Even his Basson Concerto written when he was about 18 is in my mind ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr superior to anything any other composer has create at that particular age.

P.S. Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" is very complex (individual fugues written for each change in key and form) but as many a composer has said in the past; "Music, no matter what the situation, no matter what the theme, must never cease to be music." In other words, music must be symmetrical unless it is bubblegum music. Symmetrical sounds are beauty, not coarse violent ones heard in Chopin, Beethoven, Ravel, etc... The reason most composers resort to coarse junctions or passages or orchestral statements is because the ability to create thirds, fourths, and fifths (notes that are the same but diff octave) as a statement or theme itself demands a symmetrical outlook or concept in relation to music. Haydn and Schubert did this very well and that is why they are in MY mind 2nd and 3rd place. (D.960 to prove it)

"Before God and as an honest man I tell you that your son is the greatest composer known to me either in person or by name. He has taste, and what is more, the most profound knowledge of composition." -Joseph Haydn to the simpleton Leopold Mozart

P.S.S. One last example. (sry) Listen to Piano Concerto No.19 in F major:Allegro (K.459) It doesn't seem like an incredible masterpeice at 1st, but just keep listening to it so you are able to understand the main theme, then try to listen to the relatively hidden woodwind and ochestral string conversations in the backround while the piano plays the main theme and initiates the developement.

P.S.S. I didn't mean to undermine any other composer and I also didn't intend to cause offence to anyone. It is just.....

"Many people make a mistake who think that my art has come easily to me. Nobody has devoted so much time and thought to composition as I. There is not a famous master whose music I have not studied over an over." -trazoM suedamA gnagfloW

P.S.S.S. I don't personally like vocal compositions as they tend to make me shiver and my ears hurt. (No offence intended) ie. whenever I fall asleep and forget to create a playlist on a CD that has singing, I am ALWAYS violently awaken by the vocals even if it is an aria. (I never am awaken by his instrmental works)

Advertisement