Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best horror movie ever???

Options
  • 11-04-2005 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

I just wanna know in everyones opinion, whats the best horror movie you've ever seen????? :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well, it depends, it really does. Mainly on whether I should be thinking in OMG!!!!!!!!!111111ELEVEN!!!! mode when replying or not.

I can't pick one without immediately thinking of another film that equally deserves the title. In the interests of humour, I'm picking Reanimator :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think I'll have to go with The Shining.

Very scary and very well made with some great performances.

Not just an example of a great piece of horror cinema, but an example of great cinema.

The Thing. While it may not be the best horror movie ever made it is certainly one of my favourites...though this may be due to fond childhood memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Tusky wrote:
    The Thing. While it may not be the best horror movie ever made it is certainly one of my favourites though this may be due to fond childhood memories.

i know exactly what you mean :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

The Eye was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭klingklang

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

I'm going with The Relic. I'll probably be stoned and shunned for picking it but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

garred wrote:
    I'm going with The Relic. I'll probably be stoned and shunned for picking it but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

...Get out of this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

garred wrote:
    All I can remember about that film is that it was really bad and that the main character wore a rather fetching little black dress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mo_thoin

Anyone ever seen last house on the left??? :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

No i havent. I couldent pick a favroite thought there have been some good recent ones. !3 ghosts certianaly, also ghost ship, but im more partial to the cheasy 80`s horrors and 80`s zombie flicks.

No i havent. I couldent pick a favroite thought there have been some good recent ones. !3 ghosts certianaly, also ghost ship, but im more partial to the cheasy 80`s horrors and 80`s zombie flicks.

hehe. I was joking about 13 ghosts donkey ! It was a shaaam! Each to their own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

The Exorcist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

the wicker man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Rebel Jaffa

The grudge. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

The original The Haunting or Carnival of Souls have to still be scary now a day's?

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Etain

I recently rented The Prince of Darkness. It's an 80's movie. I remembered it being scary, but I hadn't seen it in years. It is still very good.

It's very hard to pick a favourite horror field as the genre is made up of so many differant types.

For pure unadulterated horror I would have to go with either the Wicker Man or the Thing. Both contain everything a horror films hould. A slow build up of tension, isolation, some very well handled scares, a director and cast comfortable with the material and a sense of foreboding throughout.

For gore films it would have to be something like Re-Animator. It mixes blood, gore, some dark humoure and the best screen adaptation of a H. P. Lovcrafts story.

For good old chills I would go with the Devil's Backbone. Easily the best ghost story I have ever seen. There was o shock twist ending or over the top camera work. just a simple story finely acted by some of the most impressive child actors I have ever seen.

If Del Toro's adaptation of the Mountains of Madness is half as good then were in for a treat.
    Then there's the whole Asian horror genre. Many of which are currently being raped by hollywood. The Eye and the Ring being two of the best.

Then ther's the classics from directors such as Tod Browning and Terrance Fisher. Two of the finest horror directors of all time. Both almost single handldy resurrected the genre in two differant decades. Browning with Dracula in 1931 and Fisher with Dracula in 1958.

And lets not forget the new age of remakes. Many of which have been very, very good. The Amityville Horror and Dawn of the Dead the two best. Both films are highly enjoyable and surpass the originals in many respects. I think that the reason they are so good is that both films build on an old idea to create something so much more by creating original scenarios and genuine scares.

I could go on all day about the horror genre, but Im currently trying to edit a paper on the Evolution of Horror Within the Confines of Modern Cinema down from 3,000 words to 1,500 for college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Heresy

I going to zee cinema tonight and was thinking of going to see "The Amityville Horror". Any reason why I shouldn't, i.e. is it rubbish?

Check out "Salo" (1976), Passolini's final offering, a vision of pain, suffering and sorrow.

• Advertisement

Then ther's the classics from directors such as Tod Browning and Terrance Fisher. Two of the finest horror directors of all time. Both almost single handldy resurrected the genre in two differant decades. Browning with Dracula in 1931 and Fisher with Dracula in 1958.

If your talking about Terrence Fisher you have to mention Curse of the werewolf and the devil rides out both classics! and dont forget Browning made Freak's.

Also Michael Reeves(Withfinder General).Pity he died!

X

Xcom2 wrote:
    If your talking about Terrence Fisher you have to mention Curse of the werewolf and the devil rides out both classics! and dont forget Browning made Freak's.

X

Ah, Freaks, a true classic. Its been released on DVD this month at long last.
    If I was to mention all the great Terrance Fisher films then the list would be quiet long.

As for Michael Reeves well he had one classic and then he killed himself, it's a shame when talented people kill themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chica

mo_thoin wrote:
    I just wanna know in everyones opinion, whats the best horror movie you've ever seen????? :p

The best horror movie I have ever seen is the ring, scared me so much couldn't sleep properly for weeks :eek: ! Another good horror movie is the Japanese film "Audition".

Xcom2 wrote:

X

Devil Rides Out is a classic ! have you read the book ?

Tusky wrote:
    Devil Rides Out is a classic ! have you read the book ?

I picked up a load of Dennis Wheatley books at a jumble sale years ago but the devil rides out was not among them unfortunatley.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I'll have to say The Thing too. Great film and one that I never get tired of :). Also the bloodtest scene where the guys are tied to the seat is superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Creature wrote:
    I'll have to say The Thing too. Great film and one that I never get tired of :). Also the bloodtest scene where the guys are tied to the seat is superb.

The Thing is defintatley one of the best in this genre and that whole scene is a classic. The discovery of the real creature and the walking head is brilliant. The bit where the Doc attempts to revive his infected collegue with the defibrulator is truly unforgetable. Love the end of that scene too : (sic) "We're all in shock but if its not too muCh trouble GET ME OUT OF THIS F*****G CHAIR!!"

"Why dont we we just wait here for a while... See what happens?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I know you gentlemen have been through a lot. But when you find the time... I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS ****ING CHAIR!

Heh brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Creature wrote:
    I know you gentlemen have been through a lot. But when you find the time... I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS ****ING CHAIR!

Thats the one! Excellent. :D

Advertisement