Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java being superceded

Options
  • 05-10-2000 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

They're always saying **** like that.
    He's probably referring to M$s new C# (pronounced C sharp) which is supposed to take the best of Java and the best of C and blah blah etc who knows. They said Java would kill C++ and it hasn't.
    Bear in mind that if this lecturer in college was any good as a programmer he'd be off programming, and not lecturing where you only get a salary of about IR£20,000.

Java is SO nineties....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

and lecturers dont ever have time to consult industry. and therefore earn more than programmers ever do.

java thing reeks of bs to me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Otak

Yes. I'm not a porgrammer but it's being suggested that XML will supercede Java, or (more specifically) a collection of XMl stylesheets (when they're developed)
    Originally posted by Baz_:
    Well I've heard a rumour that java is on the way out, and although I know that some of you would prefer to see this on the webmaster board I happen to think it is more of a programming topic. What I heard is that one of the guys in my college was told by one of his lecturers that java is on the way out and is about to be superceded, has anyone else heard this, and if so what is it being superceded by???

I'm off to www.w3.org to try and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Last time I looked XML and Java are two completly different things.

XML is just a coding structure for documents, where as Java is a programming language.

The only way a new language will supercede another is portability. Ease of use is all well and good but if you can't port your scripts to the new language easily people are going to stick with what they have (hence the reason COBOL is still around).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Well I've heard a rumour that java is on the way out, and although I know that some of you would prefer to see this on the webmaster board I happen to think it is more of a programming topic. What I heard is that one of the guys in my college was told by one of his lecturers that java is on the way out and is about to be superceded, has anyone else heard this, and if so what is it being superceded by???

I'm off to www.w3.org to try and find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

I say NO to you all and claim quite foolishlessly that Java will be around until the sun goes Supernova.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Originally posted by Otak:
    Yes. I'm not a porgrammer but it's being suggested that XML will supercede Java, or (more specifically) a collection of XMl stylesheets (when they're developed)

this post made me smile on a dirty wet monday morning, thanks smile.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by El_Presidente:
    I say NO to you all and claim quite foolishlessly that Java will be around until the sun goes Supernova.
    http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum19/HTML/000047.html
    You obviously speak with great authority on the subject.

touche

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Void:
    Bear in mind that if this lecturer in college was any good as a programmer he'd be off programming, and not lecturing where you only get a salary of about IR£20,000.
    ...or maybe they like teaching? A mate of mine quit a £100K a year job to do lecturing, I've just started a job in Maynooth college that pays less 'cause I'll get the chance to do a small bit of teaching. Money is nice, but it is not everything.

Draco

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

OMG!!! YOU are going to be given access to unsullied minds??? What the F*** is the world coming to!! eek.gif

nah, seriously though, a good point. Not everyone is in it just for the money. Some lecturers actually like teaching, some just want to have the time and grant for their research, some just don't want the ****e that comes with most other jobs. And don't forget teh extended holiday time!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by LoLth:
    And don't forget teh extended holiday time!

I'm entiled to something like 35 days holidays. Bad part is that most have to be taken at particular times, but fu<k it, a month off in the summer? Great!

Draco

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by El_Presidente:

It may just, but that doesn't mean that it will achieve widespread use. Frankly I don't see the ideals of a year or two ago happening - those of a Java powered everything... from washing machine to wristwatch...

I would still avoid using Java on any web site I write.

Bard
    _____
    -me-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

maybe i'll see you around here draco.
    are you doing anything with csse2 by any chance?

Originally posted by Bard:
    It may just, but that doesn't mean that it will achieve widespread use. Frankly I don't see the ideals of a year or two ago happening - those of a Java powered everything... from washing machine to wristwatch...

Who knows? The language was originally developed for that purpose, and with the advent of jini, they're a hell of a lot closer to making it happen.

I would still avoid using Java on any web site I write.

I'd disagree there. Use of servlets or jsp for front end combined with the Java Enterprise API is a pretty decent platform for n-tier development imho.

Originally posted by X_OR:
    I'd disagree there. Use of servlets or jsp for front end combined with the Java Enterprise API is a pretty decent platform for n-tier development imho.

Well that'd be where you and I disagree then, - and that's fine. I'd still think Java is a little too slow, and there's little or nothing you can do on the web that you'd NEED Java for- i.e.: little or nothing you can do in Java that you couldn't do without it.

JSP has it's possibilities alright, but isn't it still a tad slower than pure ASP?

Bard
    _____
    -me-

Well that'd be where you and I disagree then, - and that's fine. I'd still think Java is a little too slow,

Slow for what exactly? Is this speaking from experience, or benchmarks or what?
    Interpreting Java bytecode is not, and never will be, as fast as executing natively compiled code. However, People are starting to cop on to the fact that online compilers can produce code that is much more specifically optimized for the platform that it will be running on than a traditional offline native compiler, which can lead to your java code running as fast as (or, in theory, faster then) native code. So, the biggest remaining bottleneck is starting your JVM, which isn't an issue in a proper servlet setup ...

and there's little or nothing you can do on the web that you'd NEED Java for- i.e.: little or nothing you can do in Java that you couldn't do without it.

And to counter that brilliant argument, I could say "Well, there's little or nothing you can do with java's alternatives that you couldn't do with java", but it wouldn't be very convincing. I will point you again to the Enterprise APIs, and of course, Java's portability.

JSP has it's possibilities alright, but isn't it still a tad slower than pure ASP?

Recent comparisons I have seen show JSP to be faster. (not independent comparisons I must add, I'll look for something unbiased).

Originally posted by Excelsior:
    maybe i'll see you around here draco.
    are you doing anything with csse2 by any chance?
    Only if there are cute girlies in the class wink.gif

I seriously doubt it - I'd say the only thing I'll be doing is kicking you lot out of my lab (the lab is SMA is now the EE lab)

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

As for Java and speed...
    IBM's Visual Age for Java has a big selling point that lets you compile your Java to native code for x86 and Alpha.
    Haven't tried it out though....

Originally posted by X_OR:
    Slow for what exactly? Is this speaking from experience, or benchmarks or what?

Speaking from experience, and completely from a web developers point of view, java applets embedded in a web page are just too slow to render and execute through a browser to be completely viable.

Interpreting Java bytecode is not, and never will be, as fast as executing natively compiled code.

I'm not arguing with that, and I'm not drawing comparisons, I'm saying it's unacceptably slow- I didn't say anything is necessarily faster - like I said I'm talking from a web developers standpoint, so it's java on the web that concerns me, be it applets or servlets. Applets are too slow, servlets require extra training for our existing developers (and that training is unnecessary as theres nothing we can do with servlets that we cant do with existing ASP technology), so I'm saying I won't be implementing Java on any web sites soon - theres simply no call for it.

If JSP is faster then ASP then sure! it has potential!... but our developers know ASP inside out and there is little or no point in them wasting time learning JSP when there's little or nothing extra they can do in it that they couldn't previously do.

bard.gif

Supernova I say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Applets are too slow

Bwaaah? You might want to get yourself a better machine.

I only find badly written applets slow. But that's just me. At least they tend to work under all browsers too. Remember when the net actually meant having a choice?

Bard. Just a couple of points:
    1) As I pointed out, Java can in fact be quite fast, and badly written java is the main reason for java being slow. I did say that interpreting java bytecode is inherently slow, but that is not the only way that java is executed ...
    2) Your business reasons for not using Java weren't really what I was discussing (this is the programming board after all), I was more interested in discussing the it from a technology point of view. I use technologies all the time that I wouldn't if business reasons weren't an overriding factor.

As for why use java when you can use asp, and you know it/are experienced in it? Well, I use asp quite a bit, but I think that investigating the alternatives is a good idea in general, and as I've pointed out a few times already, the Enterprise APIs are actually very good (or the Java APIs in general for that matter) and worth investigating for a large scale web project.

Originally posted by Hobbes:
    Bwaaah? You might want to get yourself a better machine.

What? I need something better than a PIII-500 with 128MB RAM, WinNT4.0 and IE5.1 to run Java applets smoothly?

I only find badly written applets slow. But that's just me. At least they tend to work under all browsers too. Remember when the net actually meant having a choice?

"all browsers"?

HotJava, Netscape, IE and the new version of Opera. That may be 90-odd percent of the market but its not "all browsers". Besides that, a lot of people will turn support for Java off (as well as javascript/jscript). If you want to write a site that can be viewed and viewed easily by all potential viewers, it's simple - keep client side scripting to a minimum and don't use java applets.

But that's just my opinion of course.

bard.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

And what a good opinion too, just last year here in the college, java support was switched off, which meant I couldn't get into any goood chat rooms. That ****ed me off, I'm not saying java is ****, I'm just saying Bard made a good point there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Java will continue to be superceeded in some of the things it is currenly used for. It is already superceeded in some things (i.e. who in their right mings would use it for things that can now be done by dHTML, or perhaps Flash), but not others. More uses for Java will appear also (e.g. when it first came out you couldn't use it to write ActiveX controls like you can now).

I thought most web designers would know that you really have to design for (at least) last years browser, - last years technology (if not further back) to hit the widest and biggest target audience, and that this CAN be done without sacrificing functionality OR good design.

As well as that, it's naturally best to do as many things server-side as possible and avoid relying on the client's browser capabilities or those of its plugins, if any. This is not, therefore, a comment on JSP, but on Java applets.

My comment on JSP is that if we have a room full of developers who all know ASP inside out, (which is quite common in web design companies, including the one which I am employed in), and if and there's very little or nothing that JSP can do that ASP can't, I can see no reason to reccommend that time and money should go into training these developers to learn Java or JSP.

Sure, X_OR, I agree that investigating alternative avenues and technologies is always a good idea, but Java as a technology just doesn't look as appealing to me, these days, as it used to. I'd love to be able to explain why in more detail, but I can't really- it's just a non-starter as far as I'm concerned. I've read up on it, - believe me! - and yes, it is an excellent technology with a lot of promise, but until the penetration is such that the likelihood of a person viewing my web page being able to view any java applets I want to throw at them, and view them sufficiently quickly, increases significantly, I won't be using this technology.

I think I've said my piece wink.gif

bard.gif

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 13-10-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

"This is not, therefore, a comment on JSP, but on Java applets"

Who said anything about applets?

This isn't a thread about applets.
    This isn't a thread about JSP.

This is a thread about Java.

Originally posted by Talliesin:
    "This is not, therefore, a comment on JSP, but on Java applets"

Who said anything about applets?

This isn't a thread about applets.
    This isn't a thread about JSP.

This is a thread about Java.

If the thread concerns Java, then discussion on applets IS relevant as far as I'm concerned. I'm a web developer, and the only way I've ever used Java thus far is naturally in an applet embedded in a web page, so I stand over my words.

bard.gif

Sure, X_OR, I agree that investigating alternative avenues and technologies is always a good idea, but Java as a technology just doesn't look as appealing to me, these days, as it used to. I'd love to be able to explain why in more detail, but I can't really-

Well, thats one convincing argument you got there.

it's just a non-starter as far as I'm concerned. I've read up on it, - believe me!

I'll send you a medal.

- and yes, it is an excellent technology with a lot of promise, but until the penetration is such that the likelihood of a person viewing my web page being able to view any java applets I want to throw at them, and view them sufficiently quickly, increases significantly, I won't be using this technology.

Well, that's fair enough, but I agree with what Talliesin said on that issue.

I think I've said my piece wink.gif

As have I, probably nothing more for either of us to say here.

• Advertisement

If the thread concerns Java, then discussion on applets IS relevant as far as I'm concerned. I'm a web developer, and the only way I've ever used Java thus far is naturally in an applet embedded in a web page, so I stand over my words.

You haven't been paying attention. All of my talk on Java and web development was focused on server side technologies. Fair enough, you use asp, so do I for most things but to say "I'm a web developer, and the only way I've ever used Java thus far is naturally in an applet embedded in a web page" is ignoring all of it's other uses in the area you claim to be expert in.

Advertisement