Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Terry Schiavo issue in the states, right to die?

Options
  • 28-03-2005 5:12pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

I dont know if this news has been broadcast in Ireland or the UK but right now all you hear about in the news is Terry Schiavo and the right to die or live issue.
    here is a link if you havnt heard about it:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Schiavo/

Basically, she had an eating disorder, she would eat and then purge. One day her heart stopped and the lack of oxegyn to her brain caused her to be a vegetable when brought back to life. She would never be able to speak or move, kind of in a coma but her eyes are open. She would never recover yet her parents kept her alive for the past 15 years on a feeding tube alone.

The husband requested to have the feeding tube removed so she could die in peace, the parents have been trying to have it put back.

As most of you know the Schiavo case has been brought infront of congress, federal and supreme courts.
    They all denied putting the feeding tube back in.

I'd like to know your views here on more than one topic.

#1- Do you think the feeding tube should have been put back in?
    #2- Do you think the country has had its head turned away from the social security issue by this on purpose?
    #3- although inhumane to starve her, was it more inhumane to keep her alive in her current state?

I feel much sympathy for the parents and the husband as well as for Terry and though I think its wrong to starve her to death, I also dont think its right to keep her hanging on so her parents can hold on to a notion of her recovery that will never happen.
    I think they should have gone about it another way.

I do think that the light has been shining on this case to make us ignorant to what is happening to the social security administration.

With no hope of her ever coming out of the vegetative state she was in I believe it was wrong to keep her alive. Its no life, and for all we know she doesnt even know she is alive or who the people are that are keeping her alive. The damage done was so extensive, it just looks like her parents cant find a way to let go so they keep her hanging on to make themselves feel better...which is very wrong.

What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I don't think they wanted to make themselves feel better. I think they didn't want to starve their daughter to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They should have pulled the plug on her years ago. I don't know if she'll suffer starving to death - they should use a more painless method like a morphine overdose or something.
    #2- Do you think the country has had its head turned away from the social security issue by this on purpose?

What social security issue is this? (Maybe it's explained somewhere on that page you likned to but there's so much stuff there I don'y have time to go looking through it all).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

nuero-praxis, perhaps its a little of both.

Simu, they have her on a morphine drip to ease any pain she is feeling.
    It would have been the decent thing to do as you say, morphine overdose, it happens all the time. I think because the case is so publicised they couldnt in this case.

The social security issue I brought up,
    Bush is trying to take away Social Security. There was an uproar when he came out with the plans to make it happen, then all the sudden news was taken off of it and switched to Steroids in sports then on to this Schiavo case, people in the media have said that perhaps these stories are getting so much play and that Bush himself got involved was to take away attention from something that affects everyone, the social security issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

There is a law in Texas which legalises pulling the plug on people who can't pay for their health care. Check this out.

So there's another social security issue right there.

Also, anyone find it curious that the guy who's running across the country to fast-track "life"-saving legislation is the same guy who signed 152 death warrants when in charge of Texas state?

I think that the religious people should shut up and go away. All the medical advice from the doctors who have been working on her case says that she's in a non-responsive coma and will never recover. Her ex-husband says that it's her wish to die under those circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭paulcr

I live in the states and am curious how others view us. Do you seperate us as citizens from the administration of George Bush?

• Advertisement

For the record Terry Schiavo case is not only about distraction of US Social Security Issue it is also playing to the Evangelical, Fundementalists, and Born Again zealots that support George Bush and his crazy view of the world both here and aboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mikros

simu wrote:
    they should use a more painless method like a morphine overdose or something.

I think there might be a difference between actively doing something (e.g. a morphine overdose) as opposed to the withdrawal of assistance, in this case a feeding tube. Granted the end result is the same, but the two means are very different. I'm not sure if it is a legal issue or not – maybe someone could clarify that.

Personally, I don’t think the tube should be reinserted. While it must be very difficult for her parents to let go, I think it is inhumane to actively prolong her life when she has no chance of recovery from a vegetative state.

I do think the whole case has been hijacked by various religious and political interests to promote their own agendas. I don’t know enough about social security in America to comment on whether this case is been used as a smokescreen, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Mikros wrote:
    I'm not sure if it is a legal issue or not – maybe someone could clarify that.

Yes, it is a legal issue.

Witholding aid when it has been determined to be the wishes of the patient is completely legal. That is what has happened here.

ODing someone is either euthenasia or murder (or both), and is illegal.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

i would agree with paulcr, this is not just a smokescreen for his social security policy. it is widely known that Bush and many of his fellow republicans are very religious and very much pro-life people. he has shown a strong stance on pro-life issues like abortion. the schiavo case is just a way to his views across. it shows them as hypocrits. they have no problem letting anybody have a gun, but when another person is suffering they would like her suffer a bit more to further their causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

• Advertisement

ghost26ie wrote:
    it is widely known that Bush and many of his fellow republicans are very religious and very much pro-life people. he has shown a strong stance on pro-life issues like abortion.
    You are aware that only last week in Texas, a child had his life-support pulled for no other reason than because his insurance company decided it was too expensive to allow it to continue.

Where was Bush then?

This has little if anything to do with pro-life belief, and everything to do with political opportunism. If the GOP "save" Terri Schiavo's life, they become renewed heroes to the religious right. If they fail - which they presumably will, and presumably always knew they would - then they simply get a bunch of the religious right holding up "Remember Terri" posters come next election. In effect, she will become a GOP martyr, and even though it wasn't the Democrats who actually will have been the cause of their death, they will be the ones to lose out as a result.
    the schiavo case is just a way to his views across.
    What views? He's signed orders to have prisoners executed. I may be mistaken, but I believe he has also signed orders allowing the removal of life-support more than once during his political career.

The hypocracy is in Bush claiming the sanctity of life is something he deeply believes in, whilst his actions belie the fact that he often only lives up to this sentiment when it is opportune.
    but when another person is suffering they would like her suffer a bit more to further their causes.

Either :

1) Terri Schiavo is not in a Persistent Vegetative State (PVS), in which case she can suffer and it is right to try and keep her alive because she is not without hope of recovery.

or

2) Terri SChiavo is in PVS, and therefore is incapable of actually suffering.

Neither of these fit with what your alleging. For the Repoblucans to want her to suffer a bit more, they have to believe she falls into category 1, at which point they are fully correct to try and save her life.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

paulcr wrote:
    For the record Terry Schiavo case is not only about distraction of US Social Security Issue it is also playing to the Evangelical, Fundementalists, and Born Again zealots that support George Bush and his crazy view of the world both here and aboard.
    This is what I find most sickening, these people(born-again Christians etc...) are trying to force thier extreme religious and thier moral 'values' onto more 'liberal' people,
    When I can't think of anything as immoral and cruel as keeping your daughter alive with a machine.

These people are supposed to be religious, well if they really knew what Christianity teaches, they'd know that our body is only a vessel for our soul, our body is NOT us, our soul is what makes us who we are, and when we die, our body is buried, but our soul lives on. To all intents and purposes it seems this poor girl is beyond any help we could give her, she'll never recover no matter how long her body is 'kept' alive.

I just think she should be allowed to die with the dignity she, and indeed all of us, deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

dearg_doom wrote:
    I can't think of anything as immoral and cruel as keeping your daughter alive with a machine.

Can't you?

Lucky you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I never quite understood the issue here ... she isn't in a lot of pain .. they are not sure if she has higher brain functions, but they aren't certain she doesn't .. the parents say she has moments of what appear like baby like expressions of emotion or awareness.

My question is - Why kill her?

She has been like this for 15 years. The idea that she is wasting away, or that she should be left to die in peace is nonsense. She doesn't have cancer or anything, they are not prolonging her life for a few hours/days/weeks. She is capable of living for years.

Just because she now appears to be in a baby like, semi-conscious existence doesn't give us the right to end it. TBH and this may seem extreme to some, but this answer, that we should starve her to death because we want ... well I am not even sure what the rational is, it reminds me of the Nazi "solution" to mental disabled people in 1930s Germany.

dearg_doom wrote:
    When I can't think of anything as immoral and cruel as keeping your daughter alive with a machine.
    Er, my grand father was kept alive by a machine for weeks before he died. And I bet he was glad of those extra weeks.
    dearg_doom wrote:
    I just think she should be allowed to die with the dignity she, and indeed all of us, deserves.

That argument is 15 years to late .. and I think starving to death is hardly "dignity" ... there is not reason to kill her, the parents are willing to look after her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mrhankey88

well if you believe in god and what he says then you do what you can to save life, simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Hester

Wicknight wrote:
    She has been like this for 15 years. The idea that she is wasting away, or that she should be left to die in peace is nonsense. She doesn't have cancer or anything, they are not prolonging her life for a few hours/days/weeks. She is capable of living for years.
    She is not capable of living on her own. She is being kept alive by artificial means.

The argument here is that she wouldn't have wanted to be kept alive like this. Personally, I wouldn't want to be kept alive in those circumstances and I would hope that my family would respect my wishes.
    Wicknight wrote:
    My question is - Why kill her?
    I disagree with your choice of words there. Removing the feeding tube is not in itself killing her. However, in this case I feel that euthanasia would be more humane than letting her starve. If it was legal, that is.

Her husband's motives have been questioned a number of times. I'm not sure where I stand with regards this situation. I don't believe it's morally wrong to allow her to die if that was her wish. Her parents are contradicting what the doctors have said even claiming that she tried to say "I want to live" before the tube was removed.
    "Judge Greer, who had previously ruled against the couple, said their claim could not be believed in light of the medical evidence already considered."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4385027.stm

I think I tend to side with her husband on this one.

When does keeping Terry alive via artificial means end? Sure the family is willing to keep her hooked up as long as they can distribute the insurance monies. But eventually this will run out...then what?

You are talking about a country that does not provide mandatory health insurance coverage. So, should we keep her alive while the uninsured that are capable of enjoying a fruitful life suffer?

I think its a sad state we are in...but as long as Bush can find money for the military and can't fund universal health care we'll be revisiting this subject in the near future.

Also, I'm curious....do you think as much attention would have been paid to Terry if she were African-American?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

in response to bonkey, did you know that one of the main opponents to her feeding tube being removed is a US senator, a republican, who in 1988, had a family member in the same position as Mrs Schiavo. his father was in an accident and was so badily injured, if was allowed to live he himself would have ended up in a vegative state also. on this occasion he and his family decided to allow him to die. kind of hipocritical. the senator's is Delay {don't know his first name}

ghost26ie wrote:
    in response to bonkey, did you know that one of the main opponents to her feeding tube being removed is a US senator, a republican, who in 1988, had a family member in the same position as Mrs Schiavo. his father was in an accident and was so badily injured, if was allowed to live he himself would have ended up in a vegative state also. on this occasion he and his family decided to allow him to die. kind of hipocritical. the senator's is Delay {don't know his first name}

His name is Tom Delay and he is one of the most unethical and dishonest senators to date. He is under investigation for numerous unethical practices and even stated that Terry Schiavo was a blessing to the republican party.

Its also worth noting that after his father suffered from this accident which was of his own design Mr. Delay turned around and sued the manufacturer of the device that allegedly caused his father accident.

He then tried to put forth legislation to limit liabilty law suits. I guess he got his.

• Advertisement

Tom deLay - Senate Majority Leader, if memory serves....

<edit>
    Beaten to it....
    </edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

Do you seperate us as citizens from the administration of George Bush?
    I know I do.
    Why kill her?
    No one's killing anyone. The proposal is that she be allowed to die.

solo1 Do you seperate us as citizens from the administration of George Bush?

Thank God you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

solo1 wrote:
    No one's killing anyone. The proposal is that she be allowed to die.

Lets be clear about something here, she is not being "allowed to die" .. she does not have a wasting illness that is slowly killing her, like cancer or AIDS. She will die because she lacks the mental and physical ability to feed her self. Without assistance she will starve to death, in the same way a baby will starve to death without assistance.

What they are doing is not giving her food. That is not the same as allowing her to die. To me it is far more like killing her.

Wicknight wrote:
    Lets be clear about something here, she is not being "allowed to die" .

There's nothing clear about that at all. That is simply your opinion of how the situation should be interpreted.
    she does not have a wasting illness that is slowly killing her, like cancer or AIDS. She will die because she lacks the mental and physical ability to feed her self.

Convenient distinction. She will die because it would require continuous medical intervention to do otherwise. This is no different to many people suffering from terminal (or potentially terminal) diseases whether they be curable or not.
    Without assistance she will starve to death, in the same way a baby will starve to death without assistance.
    She will also starve in the same way a hunger-striker would, if not co-erced to take sustenance. Its just another convenient parallel.
    What they are doing is not giving her food.
    They are not giving her food after determining to the (arguable) best of tehir abilities that this is her wish. Unlike your starving infant, but like my starving hunger-striker, they are not denying her food - they are not forcing her to have sustenance agaginst her wishes.
    That is not the same as allowing her to die. To me it is far more like killing her.
    By that token, one could argue that by allowing someone to smoke, the State is killing them.

Whether or not the court is correct in determining that these are Mrs. Schiavo's actual wishes is - incidentally - a seperate issue. If the process is flawed, then the determination is unsound - no question of that - but it would be unsound regardless of whether they chose to keep her alive or to let her die.

As it is, they have decided to obey what have been determined to be the patient's wishes. That is not akin to killing her.

I'm not, incidentally, saying that this is the only way to view it. I'm more trying to point out that comments like "lets be clear here" are somewhat misleading, as there is most certainly no clarity on this case. Its all about how you view someone's rights regarding their own life.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I would hate to be in this position
    the thoughts of spending my days on earth, for years on end, stuck in a bed with no quality of life seems horrific to me, I personally would want to die.
    if she had stated in her will that this was her wish, would it have made any difference?

I have thought about euthanasia for myself if it ever came to this and it would be what I would want to do.
    Of course as there is no law for this in Ireland, it makes things difficult, if I have enough wits about me at the time I will take a flight to Holland and hope to get it there. That's something I must research in fact as I know very little about their requirements.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Beruthiel wrote:
    the thoughts of spending my days on earth, for years on end, stuck in a bed with no quality of life seems horrific to me, I personally would want to die.
    if she had stated in her will that this was her wish, would it have made any difference?

Apparently, legally, it would. Eerily, I discovered this through a link someone sent me to the Ultimate Warrior's blog (yes, the ex-wrestler). Apparently if she had made a living will, there would be legal grounds on which the feeding tube could be disconnected and the rest of the life support machinery turned off. (I'm not 100% sure about this, but it sounds on the level and I haven't seen any convincing refutals of the point disseminated anywhere.)

From tshirthell.com:

a464.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

Wicknight wrote:
    Lets be clear about something here, she is not being "allowed to die" .. she does not have a wasting illness that is slowly killing her, like cancer or AIDS. She will die because she lacks the mental and physical ability to feed her self. Without assistance she will starve to death, in the same way a baby will starve to death without assistance.

What they are doing is not giving her food. That is not the same as allowing her to die. To me it is far more like killing her.
    Let's be *very* clear here - "she" [in so far as "she" still exists] has been in a PVS for 15 years. Contrary to public opinion, that does not mean "she's a little under the weather". It means her brain is broken - kaput. An ex-brain.

Terry Schiavo the woman, the human, the person, has been dead for over a decade. The ethical thing to do would be a barbiturate overdose, but that isn't allowed by law in her state. The best alternative is removing the feeding tube.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

Beruthiel wrote:

I have thought about euthanasia for myself if it ever came to this and it would be what I would want to do.
    Of course as there is no law for this in Ireland, it makes things difficult, if I have enough wits about me at the time I will take a flight to Holland and hope to get it there. That's something I must research in fact as I know very little about their requirements.
    Thing is, in that state you wouldn't be aware of your situation - to me, the thought of that is much more terrifying. That's why I've made it *very* clear to my family that I am *not* to be kept alive if diagnosed with a similar condition.

I'm looking into getting a living will and maybe a form of the medicalert bracelet - there seems to be a version in the states for 'living will' type things, DNRs etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement