Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate Dan Brown

Options
  • 22-03-2005 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

I know, I know, it could be I'm flogging a dead horse here, but honestly, the books aren't that bad, but also.. THEY'RE NOT THAT GOOD!
    Sweet mercy, am I alone here?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

no, no you are not

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

The Da Vinci Code is addictive but I was bitterly disappointed with the rushed ending, on that strength (or weakness as it were) I wouldn't read any of his other books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Me too! I hate that a small number of not very talented authors get do much attention. Waste of brain-power!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

*choking on rage*

I hate him the most! you guys are fans by comparison...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

The Da Vinci Code is addictive but I was bitterly disappointed with the rushed ending
    Have to agree, here it ended abruptly and too quickly, may work for a film but not in a book like this.

Haven't read any of his other books, but he wouldn't be an author that I would regard as really standing out. Apart from all the anti-christian stuff with the da vinci code, how really good was it, okayish but a bit far-fetched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i'm 2 thirds done with the da vinci code, good read, but yes, i agree, nothing amazing.

it's no harry potter :D

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

i definetly have to agree with deedee lepoopoo. although the way through i was so excited about how it ends and then when it did i was like heh?? i heard angels & demons is supposed to be much better. anyone read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The Dan Brown craze reminds me of being at school when EVERYONE read Sweet valley high, Judy Bloom or Point Horror books. Everywhere you look there's someone reading a bloody Dan Brown book!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Only read the daVinci Code but I enjoyed it. I've read better books but I've read alot worse...I'd definitely be prepared to read more of his work before judging him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carpocrates

theCzar wrote:
    *choking on rage*

I hate him the most! you guys are fans by comparison...

go on.. go on express your rage.. let it out... let it all out

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I've managed to avoid the Dan Brown books so far, and it's a good thing judging by this topic... My brother has read at least three of them, and says that while the first one he read (Angels & Demons) was good, once you read more than one of Dan Bron's books you realise they're very similar. I'm not sure what he meant by that, not having read them myself, but I figured that he meant Dan Brown is very formulaic? Would that be correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Best thing you can do is read it for yourself, and make your own judgements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

i definetly have to agree with deedee lepoopoo. although the way through i was so excited about how it ends and then when it did i was like heh?? i heard angels & demons is supposed to be much better. anyone read it?

It is good! I have only read this one of his but am not too pushed about reading DVC. Even this was just a bored at the airport buy. It was exciting but nothing to scream and shout about.

My dad loves DVC but he is a devout athiest so he would. Probably what is turning me off reading it TBH.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Didn't like the Davinci Code at all, despite liking Brown's first book (Digital Fortress) quite a lot

This happens every few years - an author who's been around for a while, churning out books that sell OK, gets one book that sells really well, lots of hype about it, then they eventually 'disappear', selling books to their fans again. Happened to Neal Stephenson with Cryptonomicon in 2000 - he'd been writing books for nearly 20 years at that stage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

MYOB wrote:
    Didn't like the Davinci Code at all, despite liking Brown's first book (Digital Fortress) quite a lot

digital fortress was his first? hmmm, it shows. I enjoyed A&D as a distraction, DVC was ok but nothing spectacular. Thought deception point and digital fortress were actually laughable. Digital fortress just made baby jeebus cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

Dan Brown is a VERY clever man.......wait, dont reach for the torches and pitch forks just yet. I am not trying to imply that he is a good writer. His books are predictable, characters shallow and language basic. but he is a VERY clever man.
    why, you may ask?
    He wrote what people wanted to read. He noticed the rather large anti Vatican sentiment thats been spreading around the world. millions of Christians have become disenchanted with the religion. therefore Brown writes a book that villifies the Vatican - score. but also his main character sort of "exposes" the Vatican as dark and "evil" (im sure i could have used better words there but alas). Readers who were irritated at the church for one reason or another were, able to put themselves in Langdons position and fantasise about "bringing down" the church, and see themselves as a kind of anti-religious hero, or as a way of getting justice for themselves for the "wrongs" the faith did them. thats why DVC was so popular. Although i dont really like to say it - Kudos Dan Brown.
    not saying this is absolute truth, just my 2 cents. anyone agree/disagree?

sephirosis wrote:

I agree with you, a large reason for it's popularity is it's promotion of the homer the heretic religion, that most of us lead (eg. i'm a good person, isn't that enough for God without spending time in church). DVC basically says that this is just like Jesus and the wife would have wanted.

Plus we all love a bit of scandal, and we love a bit of mysticism, look no further than the catholic church for buckets of both...

But no kudos to DB from me, he's a millionaire off the back of a manipulative and fictional story, that was badly written. The only reason it's such a page turner is the complete dependence on the cliff-hanger...

theCzar wrote:
    The only reason it's such a page turner is the complete dependence on the cliff-hanger...

The DaVinci Code 2, The Revenge of Jesus

Chapter 1

Langdon awoke from his hotel bed, disturbed by an odd ringing sound that could mean only one thing.......

Chapter 2

The phone was ringing! Ye ghads! It was the Spanish chief of police, Senor DingDong, and he had a life changing message for Langdon.....

Chapter 3

His wife Sophie had called, asking how his trip to Spain was going. Damn that b1tch, he thought. Took control of my life the minute I met her. Fuucking French. But there was that other message he had recieved from el Chiefo. What was it? Oh yeah......

Chapter 4

Someone else continue, Im getting stuck for cliffhangers. :)

lol

c'mon what happens next!? It's so compelling!

chapter 4

Langdon decided it was it high time for some coffee, but before he could reach the door, Satan reared up, 8 foot tall in front of him, and pointing a clawed finger squarely at robert, roared "Human, you must know this before you step from this room, If you go for coffee..." he could speak no more, for he was mysteriously cut short by................. chapter 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chapter 5
    meanwhile, deep within the vatican's hidden torture chambers, which could only be accessed if you could decipher the ancient code of....

chapter 6
    backwords writing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

ROFL

chapter 7
    Reader rolls dice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 scotsmurf

Just finished reading Deception Point, and wish I hadn't bothered.BORING.And I may be a sad old git, but I HATE when someone tries to be clever and fails.At one point somewhere in the book , DB refers to a DVD, but being "clever" he can't call it a DVD, he has to call it a Digital Video Disc.....................which it isn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

Dan Brown is a lucky fool. He hit all the right buttons in trashy Da Vinci Code. It's amazing how popular it has become though - it's no better than your average airplane novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

I have no respect for a book that demands nothing of me, or that assumes I'm so stupid that the author has to put a special stupid character in the book to follow the hero around and to whom he has to give mind-numbing speeches of exposition.

I read the whole thing in two days. And I was working those two days.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

it's no better than your average airplane novel.
    It's aeroplane actually... Unless you're American?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

ah DvC was ok.. i enjoyed a lot, twas a good read...
    i read angels and demons, and its crazy how much it seemed like the DvC was the same book but with different character names...
    still, its absolutely insane the attention dan brown's gettin! its still no.1 innit? its been there for so long...
    how....and more importantly, why....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

The Da Vinci Code is addictive but I was bitterly disappointed with the rushed ending, on that strength (or weakness as it were) I wouldn't read any of his other books.

I totally agree!!! What a cop out at the end, it's like he got bored or something. For a good read, well not so much good as enlightening, have a look at The Da Vinci Code de-coded... it's a real eye opener. I'm sick of these people who read the Da Vinci Code and believe it all and think that fiction is fact... HELLO PEOPLE.... FICTION!!! :mad:

Well, in all fairness, the author did go around spouting lies, saying the "fiction" was fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Well, in all fairness, the author did go around spouting lies, saying the "fiction" was fact.

Really? Coz when I read it I knew it was a fictional book... and so did the person that recommended it to me.
    Did the author actually say this stuff is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I just don't understand. I really don't get it. I've recently tried and given up on the Da Vinci Code. Utter tripe. I got about half way.

It boggles the mind that it would have become so popular. Absolute tripe. Dan Brown repeatidly uses cheap insuting tricks in very artificial attempts at forcing a sense of intrigue, suspense and intelligence. His puzzles are so contrived and his characters bland beyond reason. Nothing short of painful to read.

Cliffhangers cause tension right!? So lets put one at the end of every GOD DAMNED chapter...

Sorry, just needed to vent. If you liked this book I hate you.

Oh, and I almost forgot. He lies. He spouts filthy knowing lies and knows that people will guzzle them down.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Read DVC, thought it was a very ordinary potboiler that plagarised a half a dozen well known sources. Cant understand the hype either, Stephen King could wipe the floor with him, (and Im not totally raving about him either, hes past his best.) Many parts of the book were totally unconvincing. I suppose the best thing hes done is provide a springboard for people to read more on the subject, which it did for me, and it was only then I could see where he nicked his plotlines :D

(off topic) Zillah, whats with the name?? Whassit mean, Im intruiged, can we all have a new id? ;)

Advertisement