Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home brewing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Aid the Blade

yeah my young one used to give out about it untill one nite i put her sittin on the floor of the bathroom for 2 hours puttin sugar into bottles and then fillin them while i capped them.she didnt complain bout me doin it from then on.
    do any1 know of a good economical capper.da yoke i got a lend of was a plastic handled affair whic was finicky and felt like it would break with each press.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

haven't moved onto capping yet - i just use my keg and 2 litre coke-bottles :o)
    Found this website though! http://www.thehomebrewcentre.ie/ they may have a better one. thinking of moving towards proper bottling meself though, so would be on the lookout for one as well.... have 4 crates of bottles I saved up from when I lived in Holland and moved (full bottles) home! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kenmc wrote:
    haven't moved onto capping yet - i just use my keg and 2 litre coke-bottles :o)
    Found this website though! http://www.thehomebrewcentre.ie/ they may have a better one. thinking of moving towards proper bottling meself though, so would be on the lookout for one as well.... have 4 crates of bottles I saved up from when I lived in Holland and moved (full bottles) home! :)
    Me too ... the 0.45ltr Grolsch jobbies with the porcelain tops! The rubber seals are getting a bit iffy though ... time to drive back over there with the empties, and swap them for full ones, methinks!

Alun, are you another brewer????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

My first brew turned out like a fine malt whiskey. Shame I was trying to make beer :-D

Will give it another go soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Just have to add... not having brewed in years... the kegs are a waste of time -bottles is where its at... kits waste of time - brewing from first principles the best way! Get very large pot - or burco boiler and do "mash" from raw ingredients - eventually you will work out how to get to right maltose/dextrose yield and which yeast/hops to add... used to get all this in easons.

Book I had was "Beers of the world" can't remember author... just remember was picture of him with note... "Survived by his loving wife... etc"! :p

But seriously for strong beers you need patience - i.e. a year or so - otherwise it's suggary p!ss! Any beer - best after 3 months... the amount of piss beer i drank when I started out... well maybe some of you would believe! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kenmc wrote:
    Alun, are you another brewer????
    I was when I lived in Holland, but I haven't done any since I moved here. I've still got all the kit, and I can get beer kits locally in the Health Food shop in Greystones, but for some reason I've not got a round tuit yet :)

Just have to add... not having brewed in years... the kegs are a waste of time -bottles is where its at... kits waste of time - brewing from first principles the best way! Get very large pot - or burco boiler and do "mash" from raw ingredients - eventually you will work out how to get to right maltose/dextrose yield and which yeast/hops to add... used to get all this in easons.

Book I had was "Beers of the world" can't remember author... just remember was picture of him with note... "Survived by his loving wife... etc"! :p

But seriously for strong beers you need patience - i.e. a year or so - otherwise it's suggary p!ss! Any beer - best after 3 months... the amount of piss beer i drank when I started out... well maybe some of you would believe! ;)
    Unfortunately I don't have the space for doing it from first principles, but eventually I reckon I will move onto that, when I have somewhere to do it all. For the moment the kits work well, and by all accounts they've come on a long way recently. The keg is handy for parties though, ppl like the fun of pouring their own stuff. First brew turned out ok, 2 litre bottle had me pissed one night! Second batch went in last nite and it's sitting her bubbling away beside me! So far so good :)

Alun wrote:
    I was when I lived in Holland, but I haven't done any since I moved here. I've still got all the kit, and I can get beer kits locally in the Health Food shop in Greystones, but for some reason I've not got a round tuit yet :)
    Doit! :)

Advertisement