Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Versus New

Options
  • 21-03-2005 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

I know the argument is old but I was wondering, how many people think that all the retro sounding bands from the last few years stand up to the original post-punk/new wave artists?

Personally I think most of the new bands are awful but then while listening to lots of post-punk records recently I've noticed that most of them didn't have that much going for them. I mean the likes of Joy Division and Blondie will be tough to beat but equally I think Franz Ferdinand knocks seven shades of whatnot out of a lot of the original new wave (the old wave?).

Although I can never understand why you'd bother with a Strokes cd when you can get a Television cd instead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

kinda different to what ur saying, but still relevant - i much prefer the 'old' stereophonics to the new..

Their first album (Word Gets Round?) was brilliant, not a bad track on it..
    Their second one (Performance and Cocktails) was very good, but had one or two fillers

Anything after that has been tripe. Apart from one or two tracks. I get the impression they discovered effects late in life, and used them as much as possible. Didnt put as much thought into the lyrics and melodies as they did for the first two albums!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

John2 wrote:
    I know the argument is old but I was wondering, how many people think that all the retro sounding bands from the last few years stand up to the original post-punk/new wave artists?

Personally I think most of the new bands are awful but then while listening to lots of post-punk records recently I've noticed that most of them didn't have that much going for them. I mean the likes of Joy Division and Blondie will be tough to beat but equally I think Franz Ferdinand knocks seven shades of whatnot out of a lot of the original new wave (the old wave?).

Although I can never understand why you'd bother with a Strokes cd when you can get a Television cd instead.

how many 15-20 year olds are gonna get the opertunity to hear a band from the 70's or 80's without new bands highlighting a paticular style of music. without a doubt marqee moon is a great album but i would never have bought it if someone hadnt of said "you know who the strokes sound like........television" and the fact that tower were seliing it for €6.99 ,but thats a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

That's true but with the web at your fingertips, finding your own path through music has never been easier and indeed never as open. I know everyone has their gateway bands (some more embarrassing than others to mention :)) but how many Strokes/Libertines/Yeah Yeah Yeahs records do you need to buy before you realise that they all sound shockingly similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I like some modern post punk hand hate a lot of it
    The Origonal post punk movement was so far superior its not even funny
    Joy Division
    Gang of Four
    The Birthday Party
    Killing Joke
    The Chameleons
    PIL
    Wire
    The Pop Group
    Television
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    Mission of Burma
    Big Black
    Cocteau Twins
    The Cure
    Depeche Mode
    The Fall

only a handful of the modern post punk movement come close to these
    as for Franz Ferdinand knocking seven shades of whatnot out of a lot of the original new wave thats bollox check out Joseph K. A scotish band from the early 80's franz look and sound the exact same as them and Joseph K wernt exactly that origonal or brilliant in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

I like some modern post punk hand hate a lot of it
    The Origonal post punk movement was so far superior its not even funny
    Joy Division
    Gang of Four
    The Birthday Party
    Killing Joke
    The Chameleons
    PIL
    Wire
    The Pop Group
    Television
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    Mission of Burma
    Big Black
    Cocteau Twins
    The Cure
    Depeche Mode
    The Fall

only a handful of the modern post punk movement come close to these
    as for Franz Ferdinand knocking seven shades of whatnot out of a lot of the original new wave thats bollox check out Joseph K. A scotish band from the early 80's franz look and sound the exact same as them and Joseph K wernt exactly that origonal or brilliant in the first place.

as a 20yr old bloke living in dublin how many of that list you just mentioned do you reckon i have seen live or how many do you think i ever will .forget all the crap of new v old. as a lover of live music franz, the strokes ,kings of leon killers et all are the only bands you get to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Well out of those bands you'll see exactly half of them. The Cure, The Fall, Mission of Burma and Killing Joke all played quite recently.

Derek, the list you made is pure gold but there were many many many other bands from the post punk/new wave scene that have just dropped out of site because they were mediocre, I wasn't comparing Franz Ferdinand to Joy Division but to the forgotten band wagoners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

eoinf wrote:
    as a 20yr old bloke living in dublin how many of that list you just mentioned do you reckon i have seen live or how many do you think i ever will .forget all the crap of new v old. as a lover of live music franz, the strokes ,kings of leon killers et all are the only bands you get to see

Im 21 in the past few years you could have seen 7 of the band mentioned and another 3 of the airtists that were in these bands in their newer bands

Advertisement