Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessibility of the campus for a mobility impaired person?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

in a hole different world

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

What did the romans ever do for us?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

crash_000 wrote:
    What did the romans ever do for us?!
    They made Russell Crowe into a star, for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

so what do people in industrial design do? are they engineers? after medical ppl, engineers have histortically been the next category of people to be severly up their own asses in terms of how important they are for civilisation.

Your quiet stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

i'm a more loud stupid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭osd

Boston wrote:
    Personally I found the labs I've had very accessible, that said you did mention off campus labs, while I've no experience of these, judging by oriel house and the like, I'd imagine access is very poor.
    osd wrote:
    In what way may I ask? Bear in mind that there are other science labs on and off campus not just the Cocker labs that (I think) you are refering to.

Sorry for dragging this old thread up again but...
    I had a check of my old emails and the Cocker Labs were highlighted as an access problem in a Board meeting in 2002. Also after some double checking I can confirm that there aren't any fume cupboards nor work stations that are half-height or meeting the any necessary UA requirements.
    I hope this clears up what I said before.

Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

Ah, but are there any *universally designed* fume cupboards? :rolleyes:

I also share Boston's appreciation of UD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

osd wrote:
    Sorry for dragging this old thread up again but...
    I had a check of my old emails and the Cocker Labs were highlighted as an access problem in a Board meeting in 2002.
    When in 2002?
    Bet it doesn't say WHO raised it.

How about those cobbles? Does anyone think there should be a "flat" path criss crossing Parliament Square for wheelchairs/buggies/trollies/walkers?

ISAW wrote:
    When in 2002?
    Bet it doesn't say WHO raised it.

How about those cobbles? Does anyone think there should be a "flat" path criss crossing Parliament Square for wheelchairs/buggies/trollies/walkers?
    Alexis Donnelly raised it and I've got the powerpoint presentation given at that meeting in some email folder some where...

There has already ben a fesablilty study done on the Front Square path idea (cost a bit too). The path itself will be made of granite and has been well designed so that it won't be an eyesore...

Indeed there are no UA fume cupboards which is a major problem considering the time spent at them by science students.

osd wrote:
    Alexis Donnelly raised it [disability access at the College Board] and I've got the powerpoint presentation given at that meeting in some email folder some where...

There has already been a fesablilty study done on the Front Square path idea (cost a bit too). The path itself will be made of granite and has been well designed so that it won't be an eyesore...

Indeed there are no UA fume cupboards which is a major problem considering the time spent at them by science students.

I would love to see that powerpoint presentation and the study. Can you direct me to a copy?

As regards Alexis Donnelly raising it... donnelly is not listed as a Board member in the 2003-2004 Calendar or 2002-2003. So if it came as a report in 2002 as you powerpoint presentation suggests, when did the Board see it? What month was that meeting and where in the minutes i.e. what part of the agenda? What committee did it come through? Why was a computer science person involved in the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

I would love to see that powerpoint presentation were they have pictures of girls in thongs and you click through it. Can you direct me to a copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

ISAW wrote:
    Why was a computer science person involved in the issue?
    Probably more because Alexis is in a wheelchair than because he's in Computer Science.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

yeah i was about to ask what relevance at all that comment had ISAW.

ISAW wrote:
    I would love to see that powerpoint presentation and the study. Can you direct me to a copy?

As regards Alexis Donnelly raising it... donnelly is not listed as a Board member in the 2003-2004 Calendar or 2002-2003. So if it came as a report in 2002 as you powerpoint presentation suggests, when did the Board see it? What month was that meeting and where in the minutes i.e. what part of the agenda? What committee did it come through? Why was a computer science person involved in the issue?

He was a member of Sites & Facilities at the time and was giving a presentation to Board.
    Regarding why he was doing it, he happens to be someone with a vested interest in disability and has got detailed knowledge of the subject. Due to the restructuring of all main committees in college last year he and no one with trained knowledge of disability issues is left on S&F.
    You'll have to ask him for the presentation, etc since it's not my place to hand it out. I will post the Board date when I find it.

crash_000 wrote:
    yeah i was about to ask what relevance at all that comment had ISAW.

I didnt bring his name into the issue. One relevance is this. Issues to do with disabilitity are not the sole preserve of people who are diaabled no more than race issues are reserved for asians or feminist issues reserved for women. Indeed one could argue that it is necessary for the majoity who are not black, diusabled, women etc. to support such issues. But I don't want to be sidetracked. the point about who raised it was whether it was done according to recognised procedures and whether a binding decision was made which should have been followed through.

My main point was that a claim was made that a report was made to Board on this issue. I wanted to see when and where that report was made. If things dont come through "proper" procedures then nothing much will be done about them. Indeed, somethimes even then nothing may be done unless people are aware of the history and press the issue. You can discuss the issues all day here but do you actually want to do anything about them? If so one needs to be aware of the circumstances in which they are originally raised.

No i DID raise the issue of whether people (and I include parents pushing pushchairs) had difficulties in crossing front square. Others who personally have much more difficult time in access are without doubt qualified to contribute to the issue but how do you propose the issue should be addressed. I suggest the problems first be defined and then brought through the proper channels to the attention of those who can do something. To do that one should be aware of the history. If you have a better way of effecting change then please tell me of it. I am quite open to any suggestion.

What I would like to know is whether any office or body involved in changing or implementing policy had a presentation and/or made a decision on this issue. When did that happen and where is the supporting documentation? I dont think that is irrelevant is it?

osd wrote:
    You'll have to ask him for the presentation, etc since it's not my place to hand it out. I will post the Board date when I find it.

Thanks for that. And the reason I asked the date was because from your post I was sure you knew that date just off the top of your head. I am interested in the issue and I don't want to appear I am trying to detract from anything you posted. I just wanted information clairified. If there is a history or a president to the issue than the case for supporting it is all the stronger.

ISAW wrote:

As regards Alexis Donnelly raising it... Why was a computer science person involved in the issue?

Sorry my mistake. I meant to write
    Why was a computer science person involved in the presentation of the issue.

I accept the argument from authority/experience here but on grounds of knowledge of the field and not just because someone happens to be in a wheelchair. After all a deaf person can compose music and a blind person do a PhD in visual arts. I am only pointing to judge people by their contribution rather than their personal circumstances. respect them all the more for the difficulty and challenge of those personal circumstances but in my opinion I wouldn't accept an argument about women's rights by highlighting the fact that the person making it was a woman. It wouldn't really matter as long as the points they make are correct and fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

jebus was that many replies really required? you know you can add quotes as you do a reply?

osd wrote:
    He was a member of Sites & Facilities at the time and was giving a presentation to Board.
    Regarding why he was doing it, he happens to be someone with a vested interest in disability and has got detailed knowledge of the subject. Due to the restructuring of all main committees in college last year he and no one with trained knowledge of disability issues is left on S&F.

Hands up.. Got it wrong...
    I found the email... It was a 43 slide presentation to Sites and Facilities on 4th June 2002.
    I'll try and figure out why a presentation to Board springs to mind...
    Again appologies for the mistake...

ISAW : I've PM you a link to the presentation.

Darth Bobo wrote:
    jebus was that many replies really required? you know you can add quotes as you do a reply?
    I am fairly new to these boards.

• Advertisement

osd wrote:
    Hands up.. Got it wrong...

Which is one reason for me making sure of the facts first.
    ISAW : I've PM you a link to the presentation.

excellent! thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ISAW wrote:
    Which is one reason for me making sure of the facts first.

Jebus, and you've never made a mistake?

and about the mutiple post thing...yet your doing it again? learning from your errors maybe?

Advertisement