Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Motor Museums

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I remember being in a museum in donegal years ago he had a yellow shelby gt350 and a 57 chevy amongst others anybody know if this is still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I remember being in a museum in donegal years ago he had a yellow shelby gt350 and a 57 chevy amongst others anybody know if this is still there?
    That Museum is in Buncrana and could still be operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Ballykine43

Buncrana Motor Museum.
    A friend went looking for it last year. Not finding it he asked around and was put in touch with the owner, who agreed to show him the collection. I think it would now be more correct to call it a private collection, rather than a museum.

And thanks to RS1700T for the info on Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 squid600

Just rang these guys - they said they have been closed for 5 or 6 years....

An Dun Transport And Heritage Museum
    Doon, Ballinahown,
    Athlone,
    Co. Westmeath.
    0902-30106

http://www.shannonregiontourism.ie/d...memberID=12173

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Hi, what a lot of effort put in by you guy's regarding collections, what a pity someone like Irish vintage could not collate all the information from it's readers as to where the collections are.
    Someone wrote about the one in Clonmel,. as far as I know yes the one in the town centre closed but is supposed to have moved up off the ring road not far from the race course or tesco which is on the wrong side of the road.
    Richard Strang might be a source of information as he sells classics near to Bulmer's plant.
    There are enough vintage,classic clubs to be able to obtain the info, trouble is getting them on to Boards, so many people are not aware of the interesting info available
    Have a good drive, regards Foxcover teddy, by the way there is nothing in Kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭gfwd

I visited the Clonmel museum 2 years ago. I had to ring to make an appointment, agreed a time and met the owner and his mate outside. They opened up, said take your time and toddled off to the local coffee shop and left me to my own devices. It was great. Took plenty of pics. I'll post some up later.

They arrived (in the pissing rain) in a 50s Ford Consul convertible. Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jaygile

there is a transport museum in Howth -
    http://www.nationaltransportmuseum.org/

there is also two or three cars on display in Dundrum Airfield - can't remember the model type now which is useless but they were the owners cars and have a story surrounding them which is quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

jaygile wrote: »
    there is a transport museum in Howth -
    http://www.nationaltransportmuseum.org/

There is also two or three cars on display in Dundrum Airfield - can't remember the model type now which is useless but they were the owners cars and have a story surrounding them which is quite nice.

I presume you mean 'Airfield House' in Dundrum (as opposed to an airfield in Dundrum)? I know of one of the cars there...a 1927 Rolls Royce. It was maintained by one of two sisters (who trained in the Rolls Royce UK factory to service the car back in the 1920's/30's). Apparently the sisters (who never married) used the car regularly up until the 1960's or 70's.

They subsequently left the house/lands/cars to the Irish State.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Silvera wrote: »
    I presume you mean 'Airfield House' in Dundrum (as opposed to an airfield in Dundrum)? I know of one of the cars there...a 1927 Rolls Royce. It was maintained by one of two sisters (who trained in the Rolls Royce UK factory to service the car back in the 1920's/30's). Apparently the sisters (who never married) used the car regularly up until the 1960's or 70's.

They subsequently left the house/lands/cars to the Irish State.

That is the Overend Rolls Royce. Z 287 is the reg. A lovely 20hp tourer.

The House, gardens, farm and small museum with the families cars is well worth visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tony.aspergers

If you zoom (on Google maps) into the area known as Kilmatead, which is located next to Corkagh Park in Clondalkin, Dublin...........

Most of Kilmatead, including the redundant greenhouses located towards the front by the N7 Naas Road, and the historic Mill House, is in fact currently up for sale at this very moment. Total price for the whole lot is in the region of 4 million Euro.

This, in my opinion, would make the perfect location for a new National Road Transport & Heritage Museum, easy access, lots of space, would need purpose built display areas, buildings, workshops..........

What does anyone else think?

• Advertisement

If you zoom (on Google maps) into the area known as Kilmatead, which is located next to Corkagh Park in Clondalkin, Dublin...........

Most of Kilmatead, including the redundant greenhouses located towards the front by the N7 Naas Road, and the historic Mill House, is in fact currently up for sale at this very moment. Total price for the whole lot is in the region of 4 million Euro.

This, in my opinion, would make the perfect location for a new National Road Transport & Heritage Museum, easy access, lots of space, would need purpose built display areas, buildings, workshops..........

What does anyone else think?

Sounds like a nice plot of land for a museum.
    However, I seriously doubt funds in the region of €4 million will ever be available for a national car museum in Ireland. The current museum in Howth struggles to even get a little state funding for its security measures.

A site in Mullingar was previously proposed, however I believe the premises was hemmed-in on all sides by railway tracks/roads and offered little room for future expansion.

Another idea could be to purchase/be provided with a large NAMA industrial premises outside of the capital to establish a new museum. Surely the govt/NAMA have many such premises which may never be put to any industrial usage?

The southern part of Kilmatead is being sold by NAMA.....

The southern part of Kilmatead is being sold by NAMA.....

However, being in such a prime location I doubt they would consider a token price for it to allow the establishment of a national car museum. It's more likely they would consider a low price for a premises outside of the capital.

One other thing that would be favourable about Kilmatead is the fact that South Dublin County Council wish to keep the lands preserved and used for heritage/community operations as opposed to further industrial or housing use.....

It strikes me that a Committee needs to be formed with a view to seriously attempting to develop a new Motor Museum, be that an extensive reconstruction of the existing lands at Howth or somewhere else. There is the potential to exhibit many hundreds of vehicles and to provide jobs and training too....

One other thing that would be favourable about Kilmatead is the fact that South Dublin County Council wish to keep the lands preserved and used for heritage/community operations as opposed to further industrial or housing use.....

Thats very positive. Maybe it could well be a suitable site so.

Silvera wrote: »
    I presume you mean 'Airfield House' in Dundrum (as opposed to an airfield in Dundrum)?

That's where I was referring too yea, a nice day out

It strikes me that a Committee needs to be formed with a view to seriously attempting to develop a new Motor Museum, be that an extensive reconstruction of the existing lands at Howth or somewhere else. There is the potential to exhibit many hundreds of vehicles and to provide jobs and training too....

that sounds like a great idea.

Advertisement