Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Influential Gun In History

Options
  • 08-03-2005 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Just thought about this last night. What is the most influential gun of all time. I'm not just taking about numbers made and stuff because then it would be all AK's. I'm talking about other aspects such as sheer leeps in technology etc... (and small arms only)

Do it under differant categories of gun if you want.

I currently dont have any clue on this one myself though :confused:

Comments

The Peacemaker Colt?? That and the winchester repeater really ended the Indians (Native Americans) chances...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

in ireland probaly the single barell shotgun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

The Peacemaker Colt?? That and the winchester repeater really ended the Indians (Native Americans) chances...

I can see that point and both guns were fore runners in technology, but from the point of their impact, surely then the Ak would have it because very little thing in the whole of history have killed more than it? (strange, i am starting to convince myself a little too)

I am failing to see the significance of the single bore shotgun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

The Maxim machine gun is credited with the most kills in the trenches of ww1
    In a pure slaughter no it still holds the record.
    The AK in the sense of simplicity of use,manufacture and availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There are several that could be pointed to - the 1898 Mauser as it became the standard design for nearly every military and hunting rifle for many years later; the original colt revolver; the Stg44 assault rifle that became the standard design for all modern military rifles including the AK-47.

Thing is, those are designs not individual firearms. Perhaps the rifle that shot Kennedy would be a candidate? Perhaps the pistol used by John Wilkes Booth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

My money doesn't go on a gun, but on a bullet - the Minie ball - which made rapid accurate rifled fire possible after centuries of design stagnation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

The original Gatling gun, the design is still used in mini-guns and as tank busters in the "Warthog" aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

from a ww2 perspective i think the ppsh from the ruskies has to be up there and also the terrifying mg42. as i recall this is still in the same design loop today give or take a small modd or 2.

the garand for being (apparently) the first ww2 auto rifle

more modern i think the current m4, the new m16 thing for it ability to change with the rail systems and i believe they have a gas directon change to allow for a 3 round burst without kickback until after last round...altho i am far from a expert so that could be total BS ...LOL!!!! i know there a lotta reasons for hating it but there u go...

the pistol front has gotta goto the glock range. remeber the plastic paranoia in the press about everyone sneaking them onto planes and thats why they should be banned. another reason to not believe the press...!!! i mean anything that blocky and reliable -- it has also become a bit of a design favourite with the hollywood types...

and the truly scary barrett .50. why. well a sniper rifle that big that fires, let be honest, a fecking anti tank round has gotta be a winner...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Maybe a certain Mannlicher-Carcano????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 stevenw

The Maxim machine gun is credited with the most kills in the trenches of ww1
    In a pure slaughter no it still holds the record.
    The AK in the sense of simplicity of use,manufacture and availability.

You're weird.

• Advertisement

You're weird.

I'm impressed that you apparently made the effort to register just to make that your first post. Any chance of following it up with some constructive contribution to the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I suppose that you have to look at the fact that guns were used in different places and different era's.

Anyone know what the longest serving gun is.

Civ,
    I'll take Stevenw post as a backhanded compliment :)
    Moving right along.On guns that changed the world how about a beretta,I belive that was used in Sarajevo in August 1914 on the Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife?Consuquences of that shot WW1 and quite possibly ww2,not to mind a very nasty civil war in Yougoslavia in the 1990s.

Longest serving gun?
    Proably the AK or the mauser 1896 type rifle in all its varients,followed by the M16.
    Most significant development in firearms the invention of the cartridge,followed by the easiest workable single shot action. Most recent the HKG11 caseless ammo rifle.Next stop hydrostatic ammo,or a man carryable railgun.[power and microcircutry ar a problem]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

I dont see the impotance of the Beretta , there only real contribution to the pistol design was that they exposed a section of the barrel. Id go more for the origional brownings.

The M16 has gone through several models etc since its first appearance, soo it isnt truely long running. The FCA and the Irish defense force still use Brens sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

The M16 has gone through several models etc since its first appearance, soo it isnt truely long running. The FCA and the Irish defense force still use Brens sure...
    Compared to some things I've seen in stores, the Bren is relatively new.

I'll take Stevenw post as a backhanded compliment :)

Proving his point then arent you - taking pride in being a total gun nut

A fact also being proven by your complaints about the ban on "unsporting semi auto rambo guns" which even you admit that thye "have no place in civilised society"

You wonder why people have bad impressions about the gun commununity??

I accept that you have a right to your belief, but see how bystanders like Stevenw view you?

I accept your views, you are entitled to them but you must accept that a large percentage of the population (who, as voters control the future of gun use) do not accept nor even understand your views on gun use.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Vinnie Jones would say .....Desert Eagle.50

kadman :)

Proving his point then arent you - taking pride in being a total gun nut

Thats right and PROUD of it!! :rolleyes:
    BTW do you think to have a moniker as "original psycho"on a gun board is painting you in a better light?Pot callin the kettle black and all that???

A fact also being proven by your complaints about the ban on "unsporting semi auto rambo guns" which even you admit that thye "have no place in civilised society"

Sigh!! go read the post again Psycho I was quoting what the more hidebound traditionlist shooters in the UK thought of them!!
    You wonder why people have bad impressions about the gun commununity??

To quote Clint Eastwoods chacter Dirty Harry"Opinions are like assholes.Everyone has one".
    People will make up their minds on things wether you or I say anything to the contrary.Well,if you and they judge a lifestyle on one arguement.I suppose I can judge all arguements and groups of humanity on one experiance or one arguement from one person repesenting that group.
    So all soccer fans are violent hooligans,all people who ever smoked a joint are drug dealers and will use hard drugs.All politicans are greedy and corrupt.Kinda simplistic outlook isint it??

Who is Stevenew anyway???A one poster possibly 12year old kid doing abit of trolling??
    .Hey,I know I am not pouplar in some parts,but I am not running for office somwhere and I belive in straight talking.There is no point in calling a spade a manual powerd earth inverting horticultural impliment.

I accept your views, you are entitled to them but you must accept that a large percentage of the population (who, as voters control the future of gun use)
    do not accept nor even understand your views on gun use[/

Oh thank you for allowing me to have a differing opinon!
    The large precent of the pouplation will vote anyway the devils aka the goob tube indoctrinates them to vote ,think or act,or what their daily dose of smut rag what they belive to be a "newspaper" tells them.

You of all people should know the voters control nothing in reality.They vote in one or the other bunch of scoundrels every five years who got in on some sort of promise to do somthing to keep the flock of sheep...er..voters from voting them out again when their job review comes up.It is the oldest trick in the book since Roman times.Panne Et Circense.Bread and circuses.Keep the pouplation occupied with distractions,in any shape or form,[in this case guns are baaaad,]arguement and bread[ban hese nasty guns and we the nice govt will look after all your saftey and security],and you can have a high old time ruling them as you please.When the bread or circuses runs out you have a problem.Or when he actual voters start to sit down and realise what a rotten deal they have been getting.Then you have a problem.

Anyway,my friend I think you have a problem with my opinions.If so and you want a flamewar so be it,but lets not use this board to do so.Other folk no doubt dont want to read us trading dopey childish comments.No doubt we can pm each other,and vent spleens in private.We can disagree in a civilised manner with each other on the board,without having to go to chacter assination,or we can discuss this by phone ,or mano a mano over a beer ,or in the back alley behind the bar.What's it to be?

Little wing
    I was talking about the gun type that was used to shoot the Archduke.Not it's historical development in firearms history.
    You are right about the M16 but so has the AK! Their original mechanisms havent changed much just their apperances. The m16a1 has pretty much the same function and action as the M4.As has the ak47 and the AKSU Krinkov

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

To quote Clint Eastwoods chacter Dirty Harry"Opinions are like assholes.Everyone has one".
    True, but everyone has a vote as well Glock...
    People will make up their minds on things wether you or I say anything to the contrary.
    Yes, but if you and I put forward a compelling argument, we can influence how they decide on things. Perhaps not for everyone, but for a sufficently large majority that we wouldn't have to worry about losing our respective sports. But that requires pursuasion, not coercion...
    Hey,I know I am not pouplar in some parts,but I am not running for office somwhere and I belive in straight talking.There is no point in calling a spade a manual powerd earth inverting horticultural impliment.
    Nope, but there is a point in not calling it a carrot-munching, tree-hugging, long-haired, commie pinko spade :D

right on sparks

• Advertisement

In fairness, I think IGF fan might have a point regarding original psycho's choice of username. Possibly one of the most frequent insults thrown at shooters by the ignorant is that shooters are "psychos" - so it hardly befits someone so apparently concerned about public perception to take the phrase as their username on a shooting forum.

You seem a very contrary individual, Glocky. Your postings seem to imply that you have a great deal of passion and enthusiasm for shooting in Ireland. Yet, if you were that committed to it, then surely you would recognise that shooting's greatest adversary is bad PR and that comments, such as yours, help propagate the bad image that shooting has in the public conscious. Whilst it might not matter in more obscure web-forums, this messageboard is quite open and well known across the sporting and web-community. It would be a natural starting point for anyone wanting to learn about shooting in Ireland, be they potential participants or curious journalists. If you were prepared to make more considered postings that included constructive comments on relevant issues, then I would welcome your thoughts, but as they are they do more harm than good.

For the members of the shooting community, who strive to fight the bad PR and generate strong, positive publicity for the sport, your comments are as infuriating as they are frustrating and they certainly don't help to present shooting in a positive light. In a nutshell, you can be a part of the solution or you can be a part of the problem and although your contribution may be small, you're definitely in one catagory or the other. It's quite clear that as things stand, you are part of the problem.

civdef wrote:
    In fairness, I think IGF fan might have a point regarding original psycho's choice of username. Possibly one of the most frequent insults thrown at shooters by the ignorant is that shooters are "psychos" - so it hardly befits someone so apparently concerned about public perception to take the phrase as their username on a shooting forum.

Whilst, you're undoubtedly right, Civdef, in psycho's defence, if you look at the list of names who have contributed to this forum, his name doesn't seem that out of place. At worst it's a natural extension of what you see. We've an Irish_Glock_fan, an Eagle (presumably in reference to the desert eagle) and a contributor who's perspective on shooting owes a lot to Civil Defence. It doesn't read like a list of well balanced athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

WTF? I'm no gun expert but I thought Glocks posts about which guns created history were pretty much on the money. Yet this thread has divulged into a moan about his passion for guns and about the bad PR with regards to guns in this country!

Is the thread not titled the "Most Influential Gun In History"?

Firstly, regarding my name: I am an extremely mild and uncompetitive character, and chose this moniker as a joke, a bad joke some might say and if it is causing such concern, I will change it, any suggestions?

Glock, Stevenw seems to have a very good turn of phrase for a 12 year old child and he has hit the problem spot on.

You claim that people will not listen to what you say and will vote what the box tells them to do?

If you sent your post about that childs death in Glasgow to the Times/Indo, people would listen, and all guns would have been blanket banned by 6.00pm that night.

Stop being so arrogant, and take in to account other peoples point of view, not just Joe non shooting Bloggs but target shooters like myself, who do not long for "rambo" guns.

you are alienating yourself from a very small community, one which needs as much support, both internally and externally as possible

Ardent - I agree this thread is drifting seriously, holding off on closing it because the original topic was a worthwhile one, and there have been good contributions.

Stevenw - I take it from your pronunciation on my username that you haven't the foggiest what Civil Defence is (here's a hint - nothing at all to do with guns). It seems that you've chosen to cast doubts on whether I'm "well-balanced" or not based on an ignorant assumption. To put it bluntly you're talking ****e, and that needs to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

The AK-47. Seems a bit trendy, but here's why...

The design dates from circa 1946 (although not really in use for ten years after). Its extremely simple to manufacture and operate, and is virtually indestructible. The ak-47 has spawned a host of imitators, and still remains in production today (Pakistan). The weapon has been used in more 20th century wars than any other, due mostly to the Soviet Union supplying them to 3rd world countries. To some its a symbol of liberation, to some of terrorism.

Ardent wrote:
    WTF? I'm no gun expert but I thought Glocks posts about which guns created history were pretty much on the money. Yet this thread has divulged into a moan about his passion for guns and about the bad PR with regards to guns in this country!

Is the thread not titled the "Most Influential Gun In History"?

Yes it is titled that, but what debate does not evolve?

This thread has highlighted certain people perspectives which, in my view, are not healthy to the gun community in Ireland and, again, in my opinion these perspectives should be openly debated.

Glocks post was worshipping a gun which has the most people accross more countries then ever before.

Why should this gun be associated with Irish Shooting? and why should Irish shooters be openly praising this weapon of mass destruction?

How does this benefit shooting in Ireland?

Glocks post was worshipping a gun which has the most people accross more countries then ever before.

Feel free to point out where you get the "worship" bit from. I don't read his post that way. Be careful about putting words in people mouths (or keyboards, as the case may be).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Yes it is titled that, but what debate does not evolve?

This thread has highlighted certain people perspectives which, in my view, are not healthy to the gun community in Ireland and, again, in my opinion these perspectives should be openly debated.

Why should this gun be associated with Irish Shooting? and why should Irish shooters be openly praising this weapon of mass destruction?

How does this benefit shooting in Ireland?

By all means, please feel free to start a new thread but, on this one, I don't care about your views with regards to guns in Ireland. I want to read about what people think are the most influential guns in history.

Advertisement