Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Course In Ireland

Options
  • 08-03-2005 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

i play a lot of golf and try to get to some the bettercourses but are there any hidden gems out there we all know the usual quality course that get all the expsposure but id like to know some of the lesser known ones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Powerscourt in Enniskerry is very good, not cheap though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dypso

yeah been their some savage views in it but when i played it it wasnt in good nick and a bit disapointing

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭8track

Cruit Island (pronounced Critch), West Donegal and City of Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Wicklow GC, quite cheap. fantastic views. quite hilly though, almost like a links course.
    Very tough to play when the wind blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

glen of the downs golf course....lovely views and a couple of amazing holes and a good few interesting ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

I think we are fairly spoiled here in Ireland for golf courses.... here is a list of some of my favourites

Naas GC
    Kilkea Castle
    Old Conna
    Woodbrook
    Charleland
    Mount Juliet
    Druids Glen
    Courtrown
    Knockanally
    Coolatin
    Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

You can see i live in kerry though

waterville<the best links course in kerry but expensive to play>
    ballybunnion<hope spelling is right?>
    killarney
    dooks

fota

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 supermakk

Mountrath, Co Laois

Green fees; €20
    A little gem, you will enjoy this course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Houllio

Esker Hills, European club, Headfort New, Nass, Mount Wolesley, Carlow, Tramore, Nenagh, Dundalk, Mullingar, Portarlington, Killkenny, Nuremore, Mountrath, Coollattin, Seafield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 John Boyle

Dypso wrote:
    i play a lot of golf and try to get to some the bettercourses but are there any hidden gems out there we all know the usual quality course that get all the expsposure but id like to know some of the lesser known ones
    Tullamore
    Edenderry
    Trim
    Blackbush

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Just played Seaview or Seacrest in Ballymoney Gorey. The best course I've played so far. Thought Powerscourt was the most overpriced/overrated course. Glen of the Downs is good value, think they still do the winter special Green fee/pint/steak dinner 45 squid.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

Ballyliffen
    Murvagh
    Rossapenna
    Portsalon (my home course 7k+ yds from c'ship tees)
    Portnoo
    Enniscrone
    (all in NW and all Links)

The list goes on and on.
    For those who say K-Club, Druids Glen etc, you are muppets. There is nothing to distinguish those parkland courses from any of the American parkland courses. Holding the Irish open at Druids glen or the K-Club is a waste of time If you ask me.
    We in Ireland together with Scotland and a few other parts of the UK hold almost all of the Links courses in the world. I think, but I may be wrong on this one, less than 500 examples of links courses are in existence worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭decdoc

I'm luckly a member of Naas GC, they done great work there over the past couple of years and its now a top quality course, with fantastic greens

Ballyliffen GC has to have 2 of the top links courses in the country, and plus it has much more reasonable green fees than some of the better known links courses.

Kileen GC is another excellent course in north kildare.

Dman_15 your a luckly man being a member of Portsalon, i've never played there but i've often crossed the course on the way to kockalla beach, and i looks like a cracking course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Played Lahinch in Clare a few times and loved it, damn hard though.

Down in Cork, I like Harbour Point, Fota and Water-rock

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭applehunter

Harbour Point : I like HP too, its a tough test.

Fota : I played it 2 weeks ago for the first time and I wasnt that impressed

Waterock : The front nine is too easy. But the back nine is great. Great course for players not joined a club.

For me, the two best golf courses in Cork are Lisselan down by Clonikilty and Cork Golf course on Little Island.

Ive only played Cork GC once but its excellent.

Best courses Ive ever played are Ballybunion & Waterville. Too pricey though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

Nice to see my own local - tramore mentioned. When its in good nick its a fine course, which it is at the moment.

Gowran co. kilkenny is nice same with waterford g.c, city west in dublin and carlow are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How about the best ones in Dublin (County)?
    Castle is a nice course, good greens. St Margarets is a nice links.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

played Carrick on Suir Golf Club for my Stag. Excellent course, great views. €30 for non members at the weekend but well worth it. It's on the mountain so it's fairly hilly. 1 of the tee shots actually cuts across the previous green which was a bit weird though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tonto2

There's a nice course in Rathcore, just outside Enfield. I play it regularly, its pretty tough if the weathers bad. reasonable pricing 30 bucks midweek up to 45 at weekends. Never seen it to busy, very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Folks,

None of you played Carne, Belmullet .... what a course !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dypso

Rathcore is horrible too short and easy. 6 holes uder 350 yards sorry not for me and i wont go back. ok il give it is very good for what they have some nice cultivation but otherwise a poor effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cddc3

Did u ever play berehaven golf course in west cork...
    Its a nine hole spectacular one of the best nine holes in europe and only twenty five euro for the day......
    It right along the coast on one of the holes u have to cross the water with your tee shot and then again with your approach to the green..........
    the last three holes u must play over water four times a true test of courage
    well worth playin and even if u play bad gaurenteed a good old knees up in the town!!!

i played it about ten years ago they changed a no of holes is it the 16,17,18 changed?. the course was a good test members are a sound bunch back there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mount Wolseley Tullow :D

i played berehaven about 6 -10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mickculchie

Portumna, Birr, Roscrea, Nenagh, East Clare, Rathdowney are all very good for about E25 a round.
    Esker Hills very good too but pricey.
    Don't go near Abbeyleix though, played it last weekend, rubbish, won't ever go there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cddc3

johnnyc wrote:
    i played berehaven about 6 -10 years ago.

they changed the 3rd, 6th, 7th and 8th its a totally different golf course now you should come back and play it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭SandhillRoad

Culchie:
    I laughed , well done!I hope you sent it to Television Studios etc.It deserves an award ! Top marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

I thought Hermitage and Faithlegg were nice courses.

Advertisement