Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's playing in Nolan Park This Year?

Options
  • 05-03-2005 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

Anyone know who's playing in croke park this year could'ent be anyone worse than James Taylor last year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Hope it will be someone good.. I've never even heard of james taylor before last yr... They dont even have to be that famous... Get a good few irish bands maybe and make a proper day out of it.. Like the Frames/Damien Rice/Damien Dempsey etc.. Not a great fan of any of those(although they are good) but they would draw a decent crowd I reckon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

last year was such a disaster i'm wondering if they'll even host it again.since this started a few years ago, GAA stadia all over the country are hosting these type of events, and I suppose it'll be harder to attract "big names" to the kip that Nowlan pk is. I'd like to see someone that will appeal to people under 40-James Taylors fanbase are middle aged, Shania Twain, c'mon my mother and all her friends went to it. Paul Simon and Bob Dylan I have nothing against their music, but, again they are from a certain era and appeal to a specific fanbase.
    Personally I'd like to see something in the rock/metal genre but I know i'll be waiting some time before i see something like that in Nowlan pk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Was there for Paul Simon. One of the best weekends of my life! It's a great spot for a gig. If you get the right act. Although as has been said it'll be tough to attract other bigh names there with the other stadia around the country hosting similar events. Pearse Stadium being one example.

Missed James Taylor last year, although I don't think that kind of gig would have suited him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

BingoBongo wrote:
    Anyone know who's playing in croke park this year could'ent be anyone worse than James Taylor last year.

I think it's Neil Young, who did not travel over last time because of the war
    or somthing. Their was an article a few weeks ago in the kilkenny people
    about the line up. www.kilkennypeople.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I guess they're afraid to go for someone whose fanbase would demolish Chadwicks, steal petrol out of the Vivo or cause Jamesies to run out of breakfast rolls en route to the concert :p

Is it true the permit for holding concerts in Nowlan Park is only for a few years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

allie_e17 wrote:
    I guess they're afraid to go for someone whose fanbase would demolish Chadwicks,

I'm sure they'd be glad of the help, Chadwicks old building is up for the chop anyday now!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

have to disagree with u there nightwish, nolan park is not a kip. far from it in fact, ok so its far from the standard of croke park but we're a small CITY. Many of the stadiums/playing fields all over ireland are a disgrace, just look at walsh park in waterford 1 seating stand and a mucky bank at the other side... kilkenny has 2 seating stands, a covered standing area and 1 uncovered standing area. The new seats in the old stand make it even better. i think we could do alot worse. People should be grateful of the facilities kilkenny has to offer. sorry for the little rant it just had to be said :D as u can see im a proud kilkennian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

its Neil Young, which cold be OK I guess, always depending on the support.

I LOVED the Paul simon one, but then I was behnd the barrier and could almost reach out and touch him; never realsied just how short he is !! grerat music (pity Van Morrison always seems so crap live)

James Taylor seemed an awful idea

I like the idea of irish band thingy, would be cool holding that in Woodstock maybe

Is Woodstock a good spot for a gig?

Was tempted to go to the one last summer, but my attention was diverted to other things.

Neil Young could be good, but as has already been mentioned the support will play a big part. The support for Paul Simon, excluding Van Morrisson, was pretty decent.

*shrug*

I love woodstock anyways so I thik it would be yea !

Went last year but to the classical thing. Hwever went with an ex/friend, and the tumultous nature of our r/ship reared its head meaning big fight and no music (the bit I did hear the sound didn't seem well done).

Inistioge is just somewhere I'd find any excuse to visit / drink in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

is Neil Young definitily playing Nolan Park this year or is it still just a rumour then, cause that you be legendary! Also isn't there a local band that play Nolan Park each year also? how does that come about?

Smithwicks the sponsors select thelocal band
    was from a competition, not quite sure if still the case.

Ugh, Smithwicks *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭moggie

there's more and more noise about the godfather of grunge everyday

t'would be a legend gig
    better than taylor....and they need the success or the plug will be pulled :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I heard another rumour that it may be Garth Brooks. Regardless of what you think of the man's music, I reckon it would sell out.

djpaul wrote:
    I think it's Neil Young, who did not travel over last time because of the war
    or somthing. Their was an article a few weeks ago in the kilkenny people
    about the line up. www.kilkennypeople.ie

Doubt it will be neil young now - see this - http://observer.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,1451379,00.html

mick_irl wrote:
    I heard another rumour that it may be Garth Brooks. Regardless of what you think of the man's music, I reckon it would sell out.
    I'd go to see him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

was at paul simon and as mentioned morrison was crap but i am a big fan and was at a gig of his a good few years back and it was amazing. think he's pretty moody

anyone think that billy joel would make a good choice - i know his live in russia video rocked !!

was at woodstock last year - great music but crap sound and couldnt see anything really

Billy Joel retired from "pop" music a year or two ago i think...stating that all his old hits were crap. Think he just does jazz now.

He would have been a good choice alright.

It's going to be announced on Tuesday as far as I know. The person who will be annouced as the headline act has not been mentioned on this thread yet :-) Answers on a postcard please...

• Advertisement

mick_irl wrote:
    It's going to be announced on Tuesday as far as I know. The person who will be annouced as the headline act has not been mentioned on this thread yet :-) Answers on a postcard please...

UPDATE,
    Rod Stewart is the headline act, Support is Natasha Beddingfield
    So far, More to come.

Watch This Space! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Boo :(

Stephen wrote:
    Indeed.

Stephen wrote:

I Know, No "Girls Allowed" (thank god) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

well I suppose it could be worse!

I cant wait - Rod Stewart in Kilkenny....Cool.

Definitely going to it ( get tickets for free aswell! )

shoul bring in a strange crowd; young girl a work will go just fo Natasha Bedingfield; Rod himself seems to have fans who grew up wih him and hen new generations.
    Wonder who else will be supporting

Go in free to Paul SImon, that was coo, don't think I'd pay for Rod even though convenient
    (compared to 3 hours !!! to get out of Slane last year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

again.no acts to appeal to anyone under 30.ill make it my business to be out of town that weekend

Nightwish wrote:
    again.no acts to appeal to anyone under 30.ill make it my business to be out of town that weekend

Well, It is run by cavemen! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

I'll be surrounded by 40 - 50 year old mothers ( including mine!) Cant wait!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭Brian017

What date?

Advertisement