Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband - Problem with email

Options
  • 28-02-2005 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

I got NTL broadband installed today and everything is working well except I cannot send emails from my old email address. Anyone had similiar problems. I use MS Outlook and can receive emails on all accounts (iol, esatclear, and new ntlworld) the only account I can send from is the ntlworld one) The settings all seem correct but can't work it.

Can anyone help???

D :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Jabbathegut

What's the error??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

So you have 4 email accounts. You want to send an email. Outlook is not going to send the same email from all of your accounts it will use the default account to send the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

sounds like you need to change the outgoing (SMTP) server on all accounts to use ntl's smtp
    same happened me when I changed from an eircom connection to another isp - had to use the new isp smtp server to send eircom mails

looks like esat etc are not allowing you to send mail thru their mail servers when you are not connected thru them

a lot of isp's now use this closed relay system to cut down on spam

try smtp.ntlworld.ie as outgoing on all - leave incoming as is

all ntl settings here:
    http://www.ntlworld.ie/help/settings.html

sounds like you need to change the outgoing (SMTP) server on all accounts to use ntl's smtp
    same happened me when I changed from an eircom connection to another isp - had to use the new isp smtp server to send eircom mails

looks like esat etc are not allowing you to send mail thru their mail servers when you are not connected thru them

all ntl settings here:

Ignore that post!

Don't change the outgoing on all. I have NTL and use 4 different mail accounts with no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭datk

all ntl settings here:

Thanks that worked.

D

No that didn't work.

All your emails will be sent by NTL

MickFarr wrote:
    No that didn't work.

All your emails will be sent by NTL
    Yep, they way it should be. You just must be lucky. Most subscribers (like myself) have little or no choice but use NTL's SMTP server, since all other mail sent from SMTP servers within NTL's network (e.g. on the client machine) come back rejected.

If the mail client is set up correctly, you can use NTLs SMTP server but still send mail from multiple accounts. I send mail from @vodafone.ie, @boards.ie and @eircom.net (and some others) using NTLs SMTP server.

seamus wrote:
    I send mail from @vodafone.ie, @boards.ie and @eircom.net (and some others) using NTLs SMTP server.

No you're not send any emails from vodafone.ie, boards.ie or eircom.net. If you set those accounts to use NTL's SMTP server for outgoing mail. The emails get sent by NTL. If NTL's email service goes down (as it often does) no emails will be sent!

MickFarr wrote:
    No you're not send any emails from vodafone.ie, boards.ie or eircom.net. If you set those accounts to use NTL's SMTP server for outgoing mail. The emails get sent by NTL. If NTL's email service goes down (as it often does) no emails will be sent!

Correct. But the headers say the mail came from me@vodafone.ie, for example. It doesn't make a difference what server sent them, the From: field is the same. Or are you just being paranoid about NTL seeing all of your emails?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    Correct. But the headers say the mail came from me@vodafone.ie, for example. It doesn't make a difference what server sent them, the From: field is the same. Or are you just being paranoid about NTL seeing all of your emails?

If you check the header properly you will see that it is being sent by NTL not vodafone.ie. How the hell can it be sent from a Vodafone email server if you have set it to be sent from an NTL email server. Once NTL's email server goes down you won't be able to send any emails.

My default account is set to online.ie because of the numerous times NTL's emails have gone down and I'm talking about going down for days not hours.

MickFarr wrote:
    If you check the header properly you will see that it is being sent by NTL not vodafone.ie. How the hell can it be sent from a Vodafone email server if you have set it to be sent from an NTL email server. Once NTL's email server goes down you won't be able to send any emails.
    It doesn't matter what server it's sent from. If you tell the email server
    MAIL FROM: joe.bloggs@vodafone.ie
    The mail server will send the mail, with joe.bloggs@vodafone.ie as the sender. Some mail servers won't allow you to send mail from an address that's not in the mail servers domain, but many will, particularly mail servers belonging to ISPs, and smtp.ntlworld.com will.

An email doesn't have to originate from a domain's mail server to have that domain's name on it. This is the basis that all the annoying mail viruses of late rely upon.

Don't believe me? Try it.

seamus wrote:
    The mail server will send the mail, with joe.bloggs@vodafone.ie as the sender. Some mail servers won't allow you to send mail from an address that's not in the mail servers domain, but many will, particularly mail servers belonging to ISPs, and smtp.ntlworld.com will.

An email doesn't have to originate from a domain's mail server to have that domain's name on it. This is the basis that all the annoying mail viruses of late rely upon.

LOL!

Yeah the email adress will say joe.bloggs@vodafone.ie but the header will tell you it's coming from NTL's email server.

Tell me what will happen when NTL's email server goes down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭roryodonnell

seamus wrote:

Eggs and basket come to mind. The point MickFarr is making, is that, if NTL mail server goes down, you won't be able to send mail on ANY email accounts the have smtp.ntlworld.com.

MickFarr wrote:
    Yeah the email adress will say joe.bloggs@vodafone.ie but the header will tell you it's coming from NTL's email server.
    So?
    Tell me what will happen when NTL's email server goes down?
    The same as what happens to you when online.ie's server goes down.

I'm not going to discuss the reliabilty of NTL's server, cos I ordinarily use Gmail anyway :p
    Eggs and basket come to mind. The point MickFarr is making, is that, if NTL mail server goes down, you won't be able to send mail on ANY email accounts the have smtp.ntlworld.com.
    You don't really have a whole lot of choice though. Unless you can find yourself an open relay, or your mail provider's SMTP servers will allow you to relay mail - as MickFarr' obviously does - then you have no option but to use NTL's server. Vodafone.ie and eircom.net, to name but two, won't allow clients who aren't on their network to realy mail. So the only thing you can do if you want to send mail from these addresses is use NTL's server.

seamus wrote:
    So?
    The same as what happens to you when online.ie's server goes down.

No when online.ie goes down I can send from any of the other accounts! Because I didn't set all the accounts to send from NTL's server! :D

MickFarr wrote:
    No when online.ie goes down I can send from any of the other accounts! Because I didn't set all the accounts to send from NTL's server! :D

What were we arguing about? :)

Besides, this solution is correct for the OP because neither iol or esatclear will allow relaying outside of their networks, so he has no choice. :)

seamus wrote:

we were discussing not arguing about some email thingy :)

MickFarr wrote:
    we were discussing not arguing
    Why was I shouting at the screen so?*

*May not be true

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭datk

seamus wrote:

Besides, this solution is correct for the OP because neither iol or esatclear will allow relaying outside of their networks, so he has no choice. :)

Oh dear what did I start. :p From you post I gather that if I want to keep my iol address I have to change the smtp thingy to ntlworld??

D

• Advertisement
Advertisement