Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

error code 553 cant send email

Options
  • 26-02-2005 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Help please.

Im with eircom and when I try to send email i'm getting the message: this mess could not be sent because one of the recip. was rejected by the server The rejected email address was xxx@xxx.com. Server response553 sorry that domaim isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts port 25, error number 0x800ccc79.

Eircom told me that it's not their problem so I'm stuck. I've researched it and it seems to be a smpt problem, have tried a few things but it's not happening. Can anyone help please? I'm using a wireless connection but still using eircom email address to receive and send mail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Just a few things to test:

1) got to www.mail2web.com and log in to ur eircom mail account (if you remember your password) and try to sent the email there also- see if you get an error back.

2) if you have another mail account (yahoo,hotmail) try to email the same address and see if you get the same error.

3) Try to contact the admin of the domain @xxx.com to find out if they block certain domains or IP ranges.

Hope this helps,

Quazzy

P.S This has nothing what-so-ever to do with your wireless connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ashie

Thanks for the reply. I cant send email to any address full stop. I can send to eircom.net addresses though. I've done some research on this on the web and it seems to me that eircom have restricted my outgoing emails. I've called Eircom and they have been hopeless in helping me ( i'm a complete technophobe so be gentle with me but Eircom support don't have a clue) \i've spent a fortune calling them and I refuse to do this anymore. Ive read that I may need smpt authentication - I tried that and it doesn't work!!!!! Do have have any other ideas???
    Thanks alot

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

A couple of questions

1. Do you have an eircom.net email account?
    2. What client are you using to send the emails?

Yes I have an Eircom account but what do you mean by "client"? Please be patient cos Im not very experienced???????

Are you using Outlook Express?

• Advertisement

Yes i'm using outlook express ( Eircom thought that I could have a problem with outlook but from reading about error 553 there is never any reference to it being related to problems with outlook) What you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

ashie wrote:
    Help please.

Im with eircom and when I try to send email i'm getting the message: this mess could not be sent because one of the recip. was rejected by the server The rejected email address was xxx@xxx.com. Server response553 sorry that domaim isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts port 25, error number 0x800ccc79.

Eircom told me that it's not their problem so I'm stuck. I've researched it and it seems to be a smpt problem, have tried a few things but it's not happening. Can anyone help please? I'm using a wireless connection but still using eircom email address to receive and send mail.

Eircom don't let you use their smtp server unless you connect to the internet using their servers. You say you have wireless? With whom? You should be using their smtp servers to send your email..
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Have you ever moved provider - e.g. were you with iol, and then switched to eircom, but kept some of your settings?

I assume you're on ADSL?

Assumptions

You are using Eircom Wireless Broadband
    You have an eircom.net email address
    You are using Outlook Express 6

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Jun21,Conversation_ID={0E69DA68-62A6-43D1-B4E6-66ECF00D0AC5},e=0000000000025577316,key=3155,SXI=8,t=case2.tem,case=obj(3244)

Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcppthosts (#5.7.1)
    This means that you are not connected with an eircom net connection.
    In order to protect our customers from people such as spammers who use our mail servers for sending spam,
    eircom net do not allow anyone to send mail though our mail servers unless they have an eircom net
    connection. If you are with a different Internet Service Provider (ISP), you can still use your eircom
    net email account, but you will have to use the Webmail interface (http://webmail.eircom.net), or use
    the outgoing mail servers of your own ISP. Contact your ISP's technical support to find out what these
    settings are.

Again from Eircom Support for Broadband, telling you how to configure Outlook Express 6

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=7,E=0000000000025577545,K=1351,Sxi=8,Question385=obj(385):obj(393)

• Advertisement

To give you the full story a neighbour of mine is connected to Ntl broadband ( i think?)and installed this netgear wireless for me so I'm connecting via him but when he did this I could still send emails until the last few months. So I really didn't think this was the problem. He had a look and couldn't figure it out and he thinks it's an eircom problem.

If you're conneting to the internet via NTL then you cannot set your smtp server to mail1.eircom.net

You will need to find out the server address and change to this - I'm not on NTL so don't know it but found this through Google

smtp.ntlworld.ie

Ah right, that means that your mails are failing because you're trying to send mails from mail1.eircom.net, but you're not connected to the eircom network.

What you'll need to do in Outlook Express (haven't got it here, so can't tell you exactly), is go into your email account options, and change the name of your smtp server from mail1.eircom.net, to smtp.ntlworld.com

Very nice of your neighbour to set you up on his connection. Are you sharing the cost?

Thanks gosh,Makes perfect sense. I'll check that out later but I still don't know why I was able to send previously!!!!!!

seamus wrote:
    Ah right, that means that your mails are failing because you're trying to send mails from mail1.eircom.net, but you're not connected to the eircom network.

What you'll need to do in Outlook Express (haven't got it here, so can't tell you exactly), is go into your email account options, and change the name of your smtp server from mail1.eircom.net, to smtp.ntlworld.com

Very nice of your neighbour to set you up on his connection. Are you sharing the cost?

Thanks Seamus ill give that a try and let you know. My neighbour is really nice.

It also did used to work on NTL. For a long time, I was sending mail from a server on my own computer until suddenly one day, I started getting the 553 errors, as you did. Obviously NTL were (late) cracking down on spam.

It works!!!!!!!! I changed the server to ntl and I can now send emails!!!!!! You guys are great. Thanks alot for the help. I now know who to contact if I have a problem!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

ashie wrote:
    It works!!!!!!!! I changed the server to ntl and I can now send emails!!!!!! You guys are great. Thanks alot for the help. I now know who to contact if I have a problem!!!!

ntl ? ;)

jd wrote:
    ntl ? ;)

I didnt mean ntl!!!!!I meant boards.ie and its very helpful members!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Hairyass

I was having the same problem. Thanks to you guys I have it sorted.
    Just in case Some of you have the misfortune of having crossan broadband in Longford, change your smtp server to smtp.crossan.ie
    Or go to:
    http://www.crossan.ie/cable/broadband_settings.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement