Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wire Alarm?

Options
  • 27-02-2005 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

I recently converted my garage to a room, so I had to change the alarm sensors in the room.

I bought 2 new sensors, but I can't seem to get them working. Are there many types of sensors (sorry i don't know any technical lingo) for different types of alarms?

I can either get it to say Open zones garage or it will set fine, but it world take an articulated lorry reversing into the window to set the alarm off.

I know SFA about alarms, but am fairly handy around eletrics.

The two wires have to be connected for the alarm to set.

sorry I can't be more technical.

Any info on this would be great!

Cheers
    JK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I recently converted my garage to a room, so I had to change the alarm sensors in the room.

I bought 2 new sensors, but I can't seem to get them working. Are there many types of sensors (sorry i don't know any technical lingo) for different types of alarms?

I can either get it to say Open zones garage or it will set fine, but it world take an articulated lorry reversing into the window to set the alarm off.

Typical wired alarm? Aritech, HKC or similar

There are basicly two types of sensor - contact and inertia/shock

Contact sensor are two part on a window or door - if the gap between the two bits opens too wide (about 25mm) the circuit breaks - alarm goes off.

Inertia are single, larger blocks, that have a light reed inside, they're placed on a door or window frame to detect someone having a bash.

Generally speaking both type use 4 wires - two are the alarm circuit, 2 are the tamper circuit. These two circs only meet at the alarm panel

Tricky thing with alarm wiring, unlike domestic electrics, is that everything on the zone is wired in series - one after the other. It can be difficult to get this right - especially if you've had to add in junction boxes etc.

HOpe this helps to narrow the situation, but if you've any other questions, feel free

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Agree with Borzoi here about wiring them up in series.....but I didn't bother with the tamper cct and most people don't seing as they are wired in series and the cct has to be closed, so a tamper is not worth it.
    Are you creating a new zone on your alarm panel for the garage or wiring it into an existing zone?
    What type of sensors did you get? Are they both inertia or both contact or one of each? Either way they both have to be connected in series, if you know what that means.
    Each sensor should have 2 terminals on it for the switch inside and probably 2 other terminals that are dead but can be used for joining wires.

Basically, the 2 wires coming from your panel, lets say they are red & black.
    Connect red to one terminal on sensor 1. Run a cable from sensor 1 to sensor 2. Connect the red of this wire to the other terminal on sens 1 and to one of the terminals on sens 2. Connect the black of the 2nd wire to the other terminal of sens 2 and connect the 2 black wires together on one of the dead terminals on sens 1.

Your wire from the panel then should have a resisistor between it and one of the terminals....well thats the way it is on mine (Aritech)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jim Kernsey

Thanks Borzoi,

You've cleared things up a lot.

I have an Aritech, and the sensor is inertia/shock.

It only has two wires as, the tamper has been left out.

I've opened up other inertia/shock sensors in my house, they only have 2 wires, but they are a different type and only cater for two wires.

I've drawn a picture of my wiring options and attached it, I'd be greatful If someone could point me out what to do??
    sen

Lex Luthor

The garage was previously wired for a contact sensor, I simply wish to replace this with a inertia/shock. Is it this simple???

Thanks for your help so far

JK

Thanks Borzoi,

You've cleared things up a lot.

I have an Aritech, and the sensor is inertia/shock.

It only has two wires as, the tamper has been left out.

I've opened up other inertia/shock sensors in my house, they only have 2 wires, but they are a different type and only cater for two wires.

I've drawn a picture of my wiring options and attached it, I'd be greatful If someone could point me out what to do??
    sen

Lex Luthor

The garage was previously wired for a contact sensor, I simply wish to replace this with a inertia/shock. Is it this simple???

Thanks for your help so far

JK
    Jim, you can swap over sensors as long as they work in the same functionality.
    For the Aritech, the sensor needs to be closed across the 2 contacts in normal operation (ie. no alarm). The contacts open when triggered. As long as the inertia sensor you are replacing the contact type with works the same way, then it should be fine. You might just have a faulty shock sensor or it might not be very sensitive?
    Are they Aritech sensors?

Lex luthor

There is no brand on the sensor.

Inside the sensor I have:
    2 poisitions marked tamper,
    2 marked sensor,
    2 marked Spare / Reed.

I also have a clear tube, with an arrow on the side.

When I wire the sensors, the alarm will set if the arrow is pointing downwards (i.e. the circuit is closed), so to trigger the alarm the contact has to be broken, but it is virtually impossible to trigger the alarm.

With the arrow pointing up, the alarm won't set.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Lex luthor

There is no brand on the sensor.

Inside the sensor I have:
    2 poisitions marked tamper,
    2 marked sensor,
    2 marked Spare / Reed.

I also have a clear tube, with an arrow on the side.

When I wire the sensors, the alarm will set if the arrow is pointing downwards (i.e. the circuit is closed), so to trigger the alarm the contact has to be broken, but it is virtually impossible to trigger the alarm.

With the arrow pointing up, the alarm won't set.

As your just replacing one sensor for another (slightly different type) there shouldn't be a problem. Usually if there are arrows - they should point up, alternatively if there's text, it should be the right way up - this actually matters with Aritech's own sensors.

By virtually impossible, what do you mean. Normally a single good thump on the frame with the hand will set an inertia sensor off.

When the arrows are pointing up the alarm won't set!!

By virtually impossible, I mean banging the sensor very hard. I can slam the window as hard as possible but it won't set the alarm off.

What is the reed for??

When the arrows are pointing up the alarm won't set!!

By virtually impossible, I mean banging the sensor very hard. I can slam the window as hard as possible but it won't set the alarm off.

What is the reed for??
    Jim, sounds to me like the shock sensor is not that sensitive.....maybe you should think about just buying an Aritech one.
    The reed contacts are probably for a contact type sensor. Should have mentioned earlier that there are actually 3 types of sensors.
    Contact, Intertia/Shock or a combination of both. You probably have the combo type. If you wanted you could use the contact side of it aswell.

I would just go and buy an shock sensor by Aritech and wire it in.

Cheers for the advice.

I'll have to find some where in city center that stocks them now.

Thanks again
    JK

Cheers for the advice.

I'll have to find some where in city center that stocks them now.

Thanks again
    JK
    Hold that thought - I may have a spare at home, I can't remember what leftovers I had from my job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Here's my 2c

The sensor you have is a HKC and I'd say it's fine. I've used thousands of them and haven't had a dud yet.
    The garage previously had a contact on the door, it might not be programmed as a shock zone. If the garage was on a zone of it's own and only fitted with a contact I doubt the installer would have programmed it as a shock zone.
    If you short the wires together will the alarm set and will it go off when you pull them apart.
    To programme the shock feature you'll need the installer code and a manual

Jnealon wrote:
    Here's my 2c

The sensor you have is a HKC and I'd say it's fine. I've used thousands of them and haven't had a dud yet.
    The garage previously had a contact on the door, it might not be programmed as a shock zone. If the garage was on a zone of it's own and only fitted with a contact I doubt the installer would have programmed it as a shock zone.
    If you short the wires together will the alarm set and will it go off when you pull them apart.
    To programme the shock feature you'll need the installer code and a manual
    I see what you mean about setting the zone attribute to either shock or contact. I've got an Aritech and I haven't checked what the attributes are for the different zones, but I have some zones that have both shock & contact on them so what should they be set as? How can it tell?
    I have an Aritech CS350 manual I could scan in for you if you haven't got one...or maybe you could try downloading it from somewhere..???
    Best Alarms on Sundrive Rd., Crumlin stock Aritech stuff.
    Default installer code for Aritech I think is 01278.

Jnealon

I think you've hit the nail on the head! I swapped the new sensor and put it on another window it worked fine, and the aritech one i tried in the garage didn't work!

Lex

Unfortunately that code doesn't work on my keypad.

Thanks everyone you've been a great help to me.
    I never would have figured out the problem by myself.

I may get a professional in.

Cheers JK

Jim,
    If you're panel is an Aritech CS350 then the default eng code is 01278. Chances are it may have been changed. Did you install the alarm yourself or was it someone else before you? Chances are they may have changed it.

Try this, if its a CS350 to change the eng code back to default.
    1. Remove all power from the panel, mains & battery
    2. Remove the plug-on-link JP1 on the panel
    3. Restore the mains power
    4. The Display will prompt for the Language Default preferred. The display will change every 2 secs.

UK/IRL Press 'Up Arrow' 1
    NL Toets 'Up Arrow' 2
    F Taper 'Up Arrow' 3
    I Ins 'Up Arrow' 4

Enter at keypad 1 the default operators code 01278
    Enter at keypad the default engineers code 01278
    Replace the plug on link and connect the battery

If this doesn't work it means the eng code has ben locked.

I checked the manual last night and if you have shock sensors on any zone, you have to basically tell the system how to monitor for the shock activation.
    The zone you are putting the shock on and replacing the contact may not be monitoring it correctly. By moving the shock to the other zone and trying it out there may not show up anything.
    But to change the shock zone values, you need the eng code.
    I had teh same problem recently when I added a shock sensor to my back door for exit/entry. It was set for Gross 0 and Puls 0. That way you could probably drive a bulldozer into it and it still wouldn't set it off. I was told to set it for Gross 6 Puls 4. But I wanted it a little more sensititve so I set it for Gross 4 Puls 3. Works now on a slap on the glass in the back door, which is what I was looking for.

Cheers for the advice

I'm not at home now and won't be till late tonight. I don't know what make the panel is off the top of my head.

I'll try to reset it, but i'm a little concerned that i'll make a bigger mess of it!! :(

JK

Jim, see this thread about getting your eng code reset

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98120

just home now.

It is an Aritech CS350, but not going to mess with it now. I prob won't get a chance for a few days. Hopefully its not engineer locked :rolleyes:

Cheers
    JK

I tried to reset the alarm, but it ended in disaster.

The alartm won't switch off now. I followed all the steps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

If you haven't already crashed your panel, tell me who installed it I may be able to get you the engineer code. Otherwise well it's going to be fun talking you through reprogramming your system :eek:

Edit: It's been I while since I touched a CS350 but I belive the default operator code is 1234 and the default engineer is 1278 as above

I got in touch with the guy who originally installed the alarm, its not a large company and as it turns out he lives near by.

So he's calling over in the morning to put things right.

when you say crashed - i take it thats not good?!?

I got so close - yet so far!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I got in touch with the guy who originally installed the alarm, its not a large company and as it turns out he lives near by.

So he's calling over in the morning to put things right.

when you say crashed - i take it thats not good?!?

I got so close - yet so far!!! :rolleyes:

At least you will get it sorted properly, From reading the thread it looks like you go it basically right but the zone you were working on wasn't set up as a sensor zone which needs to be done from engineer mode. Don't worry to crash a panel is just industry lingo for loading the default program by powering up the system with jmp 1 off, this operation erases all programming done by the original installer.
    Fair play to you for having a go all the same, alot of people are scared to go near them because they appear to be really complex and mysterious when they are mostly fairly simple systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Alonso

I have 2 faulty sensors (As far as I can tell) on my house alarm. Both I think are shock sensors. I took one of them apart yesterday and checked all the wires but could see nothing obviously wrong. Called a few alarm companies and they are all charging a fortune just for call out. So I thought I could buy my own sensors. I presume if I got a sensor (shock one) and just replaced the one that is there without doing anything else that should work right?

If so, do any of you know where I can buy sensors. I am living in Dublin in the Blanchardstown area but working in the Sandyford area.

Dec

I called to engineer to see why he hadn't called out this morning. he said he might not be able to make it today! :mad:

So I decided to have another stab at it

:D what do you know I got it (almost)

It turns out that the default user code is 1122.

I think i'll cancel the engineers call out now.

although i am back where i started. I now need to move the garage to a shock zone.

can anyone help me?

I called to engineer to see why he hadn't called out this morning. he said he might not be able to make it today! :mad:

So I decided to have another stab at it

:D what do you know I got it (almost)

It turns out that the default user code is 1122.

I think i'll cancel the engineers call out now.

although i am back where i started. I now need to move the garage to a shock zone.

can anyone help me?
    Default user code is 1122
    Default eng code is 1278

The user code is what you use to switch the alarm on & off
    The eng code is the one you need to change any settings

Yes

When you reset the alarm it will initially ask for the language followed by the operators code 01122

The the alarm will function fine, with the shockzones set to Gross 0 and Pls 0 and timers on main entry/exit set to 60 seconds.

you can then use the default engineers code 01278 to change the operators code and anything else you want.

It seems that the shockzones are hardwired into the main box, not sure how to change this.

The engineer said he might be out tonight, tomorrow or saturday!!!

If I can change this before he arrives I will cancel him. He promised he'd be out this morning!

I know SFA about alarms, but am fairly handy around eletrics.

The two wires have to be connected for the alarm to set.

sorry I can't be more technical.

Any info on this would be great!

Cheers
    JK

Hi Jim,
    Can you tell me where you bought your sensors. I have an Aritech in my house also and I just want to try replacing two shock sensors.

Dec

Dec

They fell off the back of a lorry ;)

Ah no, a friend of mine just bought a new house, so I saw that there was an alarm company there fitting alarms to loads of houses, so i asked one of the lads for 2 sensors.

You can get them in:
    Best Alarms on Sundrive Rd., Crumlin

or try maplins

JK

Dec

They fell off the back of a lorry ;)

Ah no, a friend of mine just bought a new house, so I saw that there was an alarm company there fitting alarms to loads of houses, so i asked one of the lads for 2 sensors.

You can get them in:
    Best Alarms on Sundrive Rd., Crumlin

or try maplins

JK

Thanks Jim.
    There's a Maplins in Blancharstown. I'll try them.

Dec.

It seems that the shockzones are hardwired into the main box, not sure how to change this.
    Not sure what you mean?
    They will be wired in like any zone with teh 47k EOL resistor at the terminal block end.

• Advertisement

TBH I don't really understand myself.

The engineer did come out shortly afterwards.

He had to open the Main Box and reroute the wire for the new sensors to a different part of the terminal block end. I don't think he needed to reprogram anything.

He charged €50 so it wasn't that bad.

Advertisement