Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

he he he chavs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Thanks Mr.Joe. But I'm still stuck to know where the word Chav comes from, is it short for something else? It just seems to have come from no where?

Bard "You're not from England so you shouldn't use the word 'Chav'!
    ... yeah ... right ... cop on.

Tell you what... how about you stop using the English language? You're not from England after all.

Crap joke by the way.
    "

I'd just like to clarify that I'm not complaining about the word Chav being used because it's English.... I'm complaining coz it's weird and I don't know what it means and it dosen't sound as good as our own colloquisms. Also I'm not really taking this seriously and I don't think any one else should... coz if we get into it, we shouldn't really be calling people names that have derogatory meaning should we... but we do... and we are... and we're all here debating it... so lets not get our knickers in a twist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'm complaining coz it's weird and I don't know what it means

Oh no! "GESTICULATION" is a weird word and I don't know what it means (*)! People should stop using it!!!

(*: Yes I do.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I very much agree with Bard. Anglo word? Just like every other word you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Bard wrote:
    "You're not from England so you shouldn't use the word 'Chav'!"

... yeah ... right ... cop on.

Tell you what... how about you stop using the English language? You're not from England after all.

Crap joke by the way.
    Meh.

Its not an English word per say, its English slang. Imo same as saying "garbage" for rubbish or "bobbie" for garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

Check out

www.chavscum.co.uk

Funny Sh*it

I hate these peasants with a passion - Parasites the bleedin lot of em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Do people not read posts anymore?

Bard wrote:

Oh no! "GESTICULATION" is a weird word and I don't know what it means (*)! People should stop using it!!!

(*: Yes I do.)

I think what's required here is a few deep breaths..........now........all that I was trying to say was that "I", "ME" personally hate this word and find it annoying, also, I can't really figure out where it came from, i.e the word it self and not it's meaning or the people it refers to. I also don't happen to think that it fits in with ordinary Irish/Dublin slang but then that's just me and like many other English (*) originating slang with which we have become accustomed we will undoubtedly assimilate it and all that went before it will be forgotten.
    I was not, as you seem to be trying to imply, making a point that words we do not understand should not be used, I presumed that this was implied in my sarcasm but sometimes things need to be clarified don't they

*The country not the language... just to be clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hehehe :: has me laughing hard. :) the link not the op's joke...

I think what's required here is a few deep breaths..........now........all that I was trying to say was that "I", "ME" personally hate this word and find it annoying,

Eh... ditto.

Deep breaths my ar$e.
    also, I can't really figure out where it came from, i.e the word it self and not it's meaning or the people it refers to. I also don't happen to think that it fits in with ordinary Irish/Dublin slang but then that's just me

Not just you, no. It doesn't fit in, but that doesn't mean it never will and that people shouldn't use it.
    I was not, as you seem to be trying to imply, making a point that words we do not understand should not be used, I presumed that this was implied in my sarcasm but sometimes things need to be clarified don't they

I was being sarcastic myself but clearly that went over your head.

Bard wrote:
    Eh... ditto.

Deep breaths my ar$e.

:D (me, laughing out loud)

Not just you, no. It doesn't fit in, but that doesn't mean it never will and that people shouldn't use it.

No, coz you should never tell someone not to do something... even if you don't think it's a good idea, God forbid that you'd (*) take a hard stance on something or give an opion that you might have to back up/stand by. What if someone questions you and makes another vaild point... OH NO... WHAT WILL YOU DO THEN!!!!

* not you personally.... obviously

I was being sarcastic myself but clearly that went over your head.

Looks like we're on the same page Bard... isn't it nice when two people find they have so much in common

• Advertisement

It's wonderful, Saint Something. There was I - just wishing I could find some unknown faceless person out there that I don't know who would agree with me over some pointless and forgettable subject. Now that I have, I can barely contain my elation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

not sure if someone already mentioned it but i'm pretty certain the word chav comes from 'Council Housed/Housing And Violent' and yep theyre all scrotes!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Skanger's prob the best word i've heard, Neds (non-educated delinquent) good too. Think Chav originated from some area in one of the big cities in England. Not sure the exact place but prob along the lines of "chatney village".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

the_syco wrote:
    Same can be said about skangers. And hillers.
    Hahaha, methinks you're a Farender then?

Bard wrote:
    It's wonderful, Saint Something. There was I - just wishing I could find some unknown faceless person out there that I don't know who would agree with me over some pointless and forgettable subject. Now that I have, I can barely contain my elation.

I know what you mean, I still have a warm fussy feeling from it! Thanks for caring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

That baby name thing is cool :D
    But seriously... what exactly does Chav mean? I mean to say... where did it come from, is it short for something?
    It's very head wrecking how it's coming in over here though, I find my self saying it without realising, substituting it where I would normally have said howaya's or nicknacks, I think we need to fight against this word and keep to our own colloquisms, Good ol favorites such as skangers, trakies, story bud's....who's with me?

Chav comes from the old Romanian word Charva which means child. It is used in the North of England a lot to describe the burberry crowd.
    It was popularised by Kenneth Williams and Polari ( a gay subcluture language enabling gays to hide in plain view ) a few years back as the shortened Chav, the same place that the word naff comes from.
    Hope that helps.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Chav comes from the old Romanian word Charva which means child. It is used in the North of England a lot to describe the burberry crowd.
    It was popularised by Kenneth Williams and Polari ( a gay subcluture language enabling gays to hide in plain view ) a few years back as the shortened Chav, the same place that the word naff comes from.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks so much Blub! How informative you are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ditzy

blub 2k4....it doesn't help really.......they're still scangers!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just found some more explanations of 'chav' on urbandictionary.com
    There is actually quite a lot of different theories on were the term comes from including the 'Chave Act' of 1217AD???
    Some of THESE are priceless.
    My favourite "Chav = Sub species of human"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭thafitz

Bard - the reason we think it shouldnt be used in ireland is the same reason we dont call trousers "pants".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

thafitz wrote:
    Bard - the reason we think it shouldnt be used in ireland is the same reason we dont call trousers "pants".

The reason most Irish people don't call trousers pants is because pants means underwear in Ireland. I must have missed the memo where chav became the new word for knickers in irish slang.

Seriously- you're all 'not used' to the word chav so we can't use it for fear of offending your sensibilities? It is a mank sounding word though. Scobe is my insult of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭thafitz

Jr.Shabadu wrote:
    The reason most Irish people don't call trousers pants is because pants means underwear in Ireland. I must have missed the memo where chav became the new word for knickers in irish slang.

pants dont mean underwear in ireland. ive never heard an irish person call there underwear "pants". i think you mean underpants.

as for my argument ill reword it: its like if you here an irish person call a shopping centre a "mall". it just isnt right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

thafitz wrote:
    pants dont mean underwear in ireland. ive never heard an irish person call there underwear "pants". i think you mean underpants.

as for my argument ill reword it: its like if you here an irish person call a shopping centre a "mall". it just isnt right.

Seriously- you've never heard anyone say pants? Therefore no Irish person has ever used it as a term for underwear? Despite the fact that my family call them pants and we're Irish?

I think I know what I mean when I say pants. For example:

'Your reasoning methodology is pants'- a derogatory phrase meaning your logic is as unappealing as worn granny knickers.

But yes, you are right, in some cultures 'pants' is used as a shorthand word meaning 'underpants'. In fact, you could say they have the same meaning. Other examples of this shorthand include:

bike - bicycle
    plane - aeroplane
    pub - public house

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

Nice one... Slill laughing as I type this!

Someone please tell me wtf this thing is supposed to be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

batmans car when the batmobile breaks down, my second guess is a highly dolled up car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Ha car that ended up taking it from a couple of elephants by the look of it :D

Advertisement