Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some news about IOL march upgrade

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DirksDiggler

I see.....

One more thing, my current 512k IOLBB package, that uploads data at a rate of something like 10-12kb per second. Yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Yeah thatd be about right. The fastest stable upload speed I can get with my IOLBB is 12kB/s

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Regarding up/download speeds with the possible 1mb upgrade, if I'm not mistaken this will mean we can download data at a rate of about 100kb per second, but at what speed will/should data upload?

Maximum possible downloads/uploads would be: 128/32kilobytes per second.

Simple maths: 1024 / 8 & 256 / 8. On a good day I'd get 55 out of my connection so 110 might be possible. Might even be higher - as in could still lose the same few kilobytes - i.e. 64 - 50 = 14 bytes. If it was the same lose for 1024 connection then we'd get 114 kilobytes but I don't have use of a 1024 connection to test that. Still... 100 would be nice. :p And 24 or so for upload would also be nice. (basic doubling)

As for IOL's best package? They could always do a "Best Package AVAILABLE" type thingy. Playing on the fact that Smart aren't supplying customers yet or they could even make the play that 1024/256 is better than 2048/128. We'll see in a week and a half, hopefully...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Has this upgrade been confirmed? I can't find any mention of it on iol's website so is it just a rumour or will my connection speed be doubled soon?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

They are due to announce it/other in a week and a half. There's no official confirmation yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

what about pings, will they get better?
    100k would be nice for downloading at.

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

jozi wrote:
    what about pings, will they get better?
    100k would be nice for downloading at.

Jozi

The speed of a connection doesn't have a direct correlation with the latency of the connection. At least that's what I am lead to believe when people say "Don't use satellite internet connection for gaming because PINGS are crap." The fact that satellite connections can be 2mb+ speed doesn't mean you are gonna get good latency...

However with IOL the pings have always been good with 512 so I hope they will stay that way.

My concerns are that the increase in speed might mean we have to sacrifice our fast PINGs. I hope that's a baseless fear but if you can be sure of anything in this world it's this: IOL will never get it right the first time and will cock up many times reaching a solution but eventually they will... :(

X

The main reason that satellite has such bad pings is that the signal has to bounce a couple of hundred miles to and from the server to get to you :).

I could bear having 90ms ping to english servers if it meant i could use twice as high rates in CS:S. Hopefully they'll stay as they are though...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well the routing will be the exact same, but if they slap more people on the connection, or add interleaving you will see a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

should i order my bb trial off iol now or wait till after march 9th??

• Advertisement

Well the trials are ending soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Giblet wrote:
    Well the trials are ending soon :D

they are ending on the 9th aren't they?

I dunno, around then anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

is it true that smart are going to charge per hour for their bb, my cousin said he heard that they will do the always on for a while then start charging per hour, is this bs. He also said they they will monitor the connection like iol do for business bb so it will mean no bittorrent or irc

can anyone clarify

Sounds liek absolute rubbish to me dogz. If they charged per hour they'd sink like a a lead titanic.

Closest thing to per-hour charging i've heard if is Eclipse in the UK. You get a flat 256/128 always-on and pay per hour to upgrade it to 1024/256 or 2048/256. Not quite as bad a deal but still not good in my opinion.

If they became known as the only ISP that throttled P2P it wouldn't be great for their business either. As to whether it's actually possible to monitor for bittorrent, IRC, etc I'm quite sceptical. I don't think there'd be anyway to do it that wouldn't cost a ton on their side and add a fair bit of latency to your connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

thats what i thought, but as regards the monitoring id say that would be easy to just block all traffic going through the port irc or bt uses

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

padraigf wrote:
    As to whether it's actually possible to monitor for bittorrent, IRC, etc I'm quite sceptical. I don't think there'd be anyway to do it that wouldn't cost a ton on their side and add a fair bit of latency to your connection.
    Transparent proxying, packet filtering etc.
    They needn't monitor everyone 24/7, just scan each client in cycle, if traffic is detected on a suspect port going to a grey/blacklisted IP, email the client a warning or block the port.
    Very easy.

Except BitTorrent is used by quite alot of legitimate sites, www.3dgamers.com being one, and I don't think any ISP would block IRC from a line unless the client requested it.

What I meant was that you can ALWAYS change the port youre using. Just port blocking is incredibly crude. Sure they might do it, but in my opinion it's a dreadful solution. BT do it in England and it doesnt work for ****e. My friend there still uses BT all the time, just with proxying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Scruff wrote:
    should i order my bb trial off iol now or wait till after march 9th??

before, because if you order after you won't get a trial

if your order now, you will get a 3 month trial, and a you will be upgraded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

If IOL and then possibly Eircom upgraded themselves would/should UTV follow suit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

In the past, UTV have offered similar deals the day after IOL announce theirs.

No guarantees, but UTV will have to make some kind of improved offer if they are to keep up with IOL/Eircom/Smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭pablo321

ANy rumours on what UTV will be offering?

I am an exisiting customer.. I doubt if I'll get any changes in mine.. I'm just finished the trial I think..

BTW Ive never had any services problems in the 3 months Ive been with them..<crosses fingers>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

pablo321 wrote:
    ANy rumours on what UTV will be offering?

I am an exisiting customer.. I doubt if I'll get any changes in mine.. I'm just finished the trial I think..

BTW Ive never had any services problems in the 3 months Ive been with them..<crosses fingers>

I'd assume 1mbps/256kbps with double the cap.

This seems to be the most expected offer from all companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

dlofnep wrote:
    I'd assume 1mbps/256kbps with double the cap.

This seems to be the most expected offer from all companies.

Would this be for both the existing 8GB and 16GB offers? Is it expected that both will have their speed and cap doubled for free?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

no-one is sure of anything as no official word has come out from any company but were supposed to hear the official word on march 9th. Eircom are usually the first to announce.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

they are ending on the 9th aren't they?
    Eircom's has been extended to 31st March, though it is a 2 month trial now. Dunno if IOL are doing the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

Zenith74 wrote:
    Eircom's has been extended to 31st March, though it is a 2 month trial now. Dunno if IOL are doing the same.

According to their website, IOL's ends on the 11th

Advertisement