Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiat 500 experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Never owned one for a longer period of time, but I have driven and sold a few of them.
    As with all classics you must look at the car in perspective, and a Fiat 500 is then generally reasonably OK to drive if you look at what it is and what is was built for. A bit cramped, but light steering and gearchange. Only city driving would be recommended. Anything over 50mph is going to be tiresome and unpleasant. Also longer distances not recommended.

So for small distances at relatively lowish speeds, they're a funny little toy car to play with. Also people's respons is always great, young and old, they all seem love them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

I have two rather unique experieces with them and I'm not sure either of them will give you the desire to obtain one but this is absolutely true,

Friend of mine rag me and asked to borrow some tools as he was changing the oil on his 500. Anyway I was working late and told him I'd drop in on my way home. He broke various poor quality wrences trying to get the sump bung off and by the time I got there he had driven the car out onto the lawn removed the oil filler cap and turned the car upside down to drain the oil out the filler ! !

We turned it back over he filled it with oil, cleaned the mess and off he went ! !

Second one was on my honeymoon in Italy. Bus that was supposed to drive us from Sorrento to Rome never showed. Time was marching on so they organised a car to take us. We travelled to Rome in a stretch E-Class Merc and arrived and the meeting point with the travel agent, a 20stone Irish woman new to the job and in a very dizzie state. She told us "the bus hasn't turned up ". Great !

So she decided to drive us to the airport...........in a Fiat 500 ! Now I'm 6ft 1", I was about 16 stone (:O) then, we had bought all around us in Italy, my wife is small so she went in the back and this woman crammed us all in, there was luggae everywhere, filling the windscreen ad she drove like "Popeye Doyle" in the "French Connection" car chase scene all through those narrow streets and onto the motorway to the airport.

It was either surreal or unreal......never figured out which !!

Cool cars though !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Well, it’s very small simple car so do expect choppy ride, steering is hard and car is noisy but rewarding to drive in own kind of way.
    engine is simple and will not give you many problems . Things which do go, are
    calipers leaking , drum brakes are bad
    gearbox mounts
    driveshaft boots
    window winders

many engine parts from 126 air-cooled bambino can be adopted as 126 was born after 500 and shares the same mad mechnical design

Body must be rust free or professionally restored
    rust can eat the car in no time. I seen some bad cars before.

Advertisement