Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The existance or not of caps, unlimited downloads and a supreme being

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

lomb wrote:
    and all warez- and u want all this for 11 euros a month. dream on.........................................

didnt u ever hear of esat business broadband, uncapped for 100................

What's for €11 ? Smart ? It's €35? I'm asking garfield what other offers they have.
    Isn't esat business uncapped at 512kb was for €54 vat included (+ line rental)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Flinty

halenger wrote:
    Garfield has "left the building"...

oh yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Garfield, the easy answer was 30GB. its more than any other service provider and all these download whores would have been delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

uteotw wrote:
    What's for €11 ? Smart ? It's €35? I'm asking garfield what other offers they have.
    Isn't esat business uncapped at 512kb was for €54 vat included (+ line rental)?

nah its 11 euro, line rental is 24 with eircom so broadband+line rental is 35 means 11 for broadband.
    esat business is def more than 54 i think its 89+vat so 100+, were paying 48 or so and have 16gb, which def isnt enough for the money, should b at least 30gb.

stevenk wrote:
    Garfield, the easy answer was 30GB. its more than any other service provider and all these download whores would have been delighted

esat might be doubling caps to 32 gb next week for 48 euro

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Flinty wrote:
    oh yeah?

Seems not. *shrugs* I was only going on what was seemingly clear and from what some of the higher powers than I were telling me. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

halenger wrote:
    Seems not. *shrugs* I was only going on what was seemingly clear and from what some of the higher powers than I were telling me. :)

He aint been on though has he?

- Sully

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Right.

im on digiwebs no limit Bizjet enchanced 1Mbit for €107 a month. now i was told that under the fair usage policy anything over 30gb downstream and they "would have to do something about it"

in ireland anyway such connections are primarily for Business's!
    now with seeing unlimited the business owner thinks great, i can use what i want an not worry about any penalties. and that appeals to the customer

Now as for a limit being imposed on an unlimited connection.
    Does it make much sense to some? A: no, why not just say 30Gb dowstream limit instead of unlimited - taking Digiweb as an example

Well here's the answer: So the ISP can make money

business customers will more than likely not even use near that 30gb limit so the ISP makes money off them, but since the customer doesnt have a clue on a limit he/she however thinks, im getting a great deal! - THERE NOT - they are being screwed - as are all irish cutomers as Ireland lets face it is an Underdevoloped broadband Country, in another country i could probably get more than a 10Mbit connection for what im paying (in my opinion - i have not researched this so dont take it at face value)

So in my case im being screwed too but in my area where else am i going to get a 1 mbit Connection on a really good contention ratio? A: nowhere, so what choice do i have? A: i dont

ISP's dont quote a limit in their sales pitch for the simple fact that they want to make money off of the ignorance of people

If a Limit was quoted in the sales pitch, it wouldn't be very appealing now would it - also if you knew your limit, you would reach it each month to get your moneys worth - even if you used it more just to do it

So chances are if you dont know your limit you will use it as Your needs require.. which lets face it for the people such fast connections are aimed at will not ever come near to a reasonable limit.
    And no matter what you might think, all the broadband services are aimed at IT's, Universities, Schools, Small Business's/Business's and Corporations..
    NOT you just trying to download every movie,demo,patch,software etc. in sight.. - you'll notice how broadband is more readily available in cities/Big Towns with big companies - Like dublin, and for example has the best broadband packages in ireland (in my opinion of course) And as for why? Guess?........... exactly for the reasons i just stated!!

slade_x wrote:
    Right.

i

So in my case im being screwed too but in my area where else am i going to get a 1 mbit Connection on a really good contention ratio? A: nowhere, so what choice do i have? A: i dont

if i was u id switch to iols business broadband. much better quality and they dont care about downloaders, id say if u kept it under 100gig they wont trouble u.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Monie

+*Its a total crock - What is the point in broadband internet when its capped at suck stupidly low levels.

Nildram in the UK just introduced a cap of 50GB with 8 hours not included and its members are going spare - Eircom is still stuck on 4... Thats barely enough to be connected to the internet let along download anything.

Because everyone;s on BB now all web pages are loaded with flash and all sorts of other bandwidth intensive rubbish so 4 GB is pitiful.

The average connection in Korea is 100mb for ~$25 a month, and in Ireland we're still relying on mouse-wheel powered internet.

As for what's fair, 30gb a month is alright. Its a little tight still, but its at least reasonable, ie you can do things with it. 4gb should be dropped, as its truly pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

slade_x wrote:
    ISP's dont quote a limit in their sales pitch for the simple fact that they want to make money off of the ignorance of people

If a Limit was quoted in the sales pitch, it wouldn't be very appealing now would it - also if you knew your limit, you would reach it each month to get your moneys worth - even if you used it more just to do it

So chances are if you dont know your limit you will use it as Your needs require.. which lets face it for the people such fast connections are aimed at will not ever come near to a reasonable limit.
    The question for me is: if people won't come near to a reasonable limit, why impose one?

Imposing one would simply mean that Smart's bandwidth requirement would increase. This would mean they have to charge more. This would mean that the service would appeal more to heavier users. This would further increase their requirement and so on. It would stop being a cheap service. A large proportion of light users means an excess of bandwidth that heavier users can take advantage of without pushing up costs overall.

What do you want at the end of the day? I think there is some objection to profits here. Personally, I hope this Smart service is very successful and very profitable. That way, seeking further profits, they will expand into more exchanges and give Eircom a sound thrashing in the marketplace - one which they most certainly deserve - while at the same time giving ordinary internet users a decently capable broadband service at a reasonable price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not that Garfield will point this out some of yiz but.

1. Eircom use old fibre or copper or microwave backhaul from their exchanges to Dublin
    2. Smart use New fibre backhaul instead.

Eircom have DSL enabled one exchange with only 5Mbits of backhaul for everybody. Many exchanges have 34Mbits in total or 155Mbits in Total .

All SMART exchanges will have minimum 2500Mbits backhaul or 2.5Gbits

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

lomb: Esatbt Business @ 512KB unlimited is €45+vat = €54
    As far as I can see from my friends who subscribe to it there is no need to be a business.

slade_x: hear, hear!

meanwhile in France... 22Mbit for less than 30€, including 100 TV channel and free national phone calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Ciaran, there is no limit but Smart do reserve rights regarding 'excessive usage'. From a company perspective we'd be pretty damned stupid not to cover ourselves on that one. If certain users consider that 'pretty damned stupid', fair enough. I've said previously that there would be little point in rolling out the network and skimping on bandwidth, but we do reserve our right to manage what we would communicate to users as 'excessive usage'.
    well said!

Here lads stop bitching and moaning about limits etc.., i can see it now alot of angry nerd arround pc's saying "er..... i got a limit... er.. i'll never be able to download my babylon5 episodes... err.. Wheres my crisps err...".

the man said it correctly, Its a service that is unrestricted but if you act the ass with it you'll get a talking to! beside's if you downloading over 20gb a month you need to get out and get a life!

and another thing... stop saying how great other countries bb is, its not comparing like with like.

actually come to think about if you have no life and sit infront of your PC downloading stuff all day , maybe you should just move to france or japan and do it there!

I hate nerds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I read this thread from start to finish (phew that took a while). I just have to say SMART is one kick ass company. Great post by Garfield clearing it all up. If I could get in SMART tomorrow I would be delighted:):). It beats everything else hands down. Its very fast, rather cheap and a great policy on the CAP.

No doubt in the future CAPs and speeds will increase so how can any reasonable person complain.

However, Eircon is the biggest joke in this country, ripping us all off for years now. The phone rental alone is a disgrace. €50 bucks for 2 months before one phone call?? Its daylight robbery FFS. Their CAP is pathetic. Their price for LLU is another rip off !

excuse the lingo but FÚCK EIR€ON

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I read this thread from start to finish (phew that took a while). I just have to say SMART is one kick ass company. Great post by Garfield clearing it all up. If I could get in SMART tomorrow I would be delighted:):). It beats everything else hands down. Its very fast, rather cheap and a great policy on the CAP.

No doubt in the future CAPs and speeds will increase so how can any reasonable person complain...............

Em........ Smart have not actually connected anyone yet so we have yet to see how they will perform on a day to day basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Superman, cut out all the crap talk. You've been banned from this board before for similar stuff. If I see you do it again, you'll get a permenant ban.

Advertisement