Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Mespil Road

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Are you actually being serious? If you are that is really a pretty stupid post.

MrP

You mean you really can't tell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Don't forget that the cops get paid, they're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, so it's not really a question of how people serve the wider community now is it?

Is being a cop a community service, or a job? I think it's the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

magpie wrote:
    Don't forget that the cops get paid, they're not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, so it's not really a question of how people serve the wider community now is it?

Is being a cop a community service, or a job? I think it's the latter
    you are right

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 78,322 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Diplomatic staff (and by extension their families) are entitled to protection under the Vienna Convention. Not only do they have the right to protection, but the host country must vindicate that right.

While the dayglosavages might be really, really obvious they are unlikely to be the only protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CiaranDowney

I came looking for this because I've been passing that house for years and wondering who lives there. Rather than Mrs Simmons-Benton, I think the protection is there for her husband, Jonathan Benton, who's the Deputy Head of the US Mission here in Ireland, and, by extension, his family. Now you know, y'know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

magpie wrote: »
    Apparently her hubby is 2nd in command at the US Embassy.
    When I was a kid growing up in the area (late 70s/early 80s), that building was the home of the second-in-command of the US embassy. It looks like it still is.

I never once saw anyone go in or out, and the gates were always closed. There was no garda presence then, but the security risks for the occupants were also probably a lot different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

usaid misusing aid for imperialism (TM)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Thank heavens this wasn't posted in After Hours. They'd have been falling over each other in the race to reply "Yore Ma"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mtjulie

Anyone know what/who is at 7 Mespil Road? I pass it every day and recently there's been a Guard on 24hr duty outside. The building is completely unmarked, there are no flags or signs of any variety. It is behind shut gates with an intercom, but again no identifying marks.

Anyone?

I lived at 7 Mespil Rd. for four years when my father was Charge d'Affairs (deputy ambassador) at the American Embassy from 1974 to 1978. We never had Garda there. We rarely if ever closed the big iron gates. I believe it is still used for the DCM of the American Embassy to Ireland. I have wonderful memories of that place. One thing I thought was very strange, yet comforted me somewhat with the constant bomb scares to downtown stores, etc., was the big yellow bomb blanket we had in our garage; the embassy provided it for us. I lived there when Iris Kellet's riding school had just abandoned their properties behind us to move to another location. The Mespil Flats let us use their swimming pool. I used to bring my friends home from school all the time. We had a live-in cook/nanny, a daily housekeeper, a twice weekly gardener, a chauffer for my dad who sometimes brought us kids to school, and occasionally some butlers to help at an embassy-sponsored party that was held at our house. My e-mail is mtjulie@comcast.net if you have any questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

What I want to know is, who foots the bill for pandering to US paranioa? Do they stump up, or is one of those 'special' agreements with the Irish governement? Like when the US embassy in Ballsbridge annexed large sections of public footpath to build a nice big wall around itself.
    Oh ffs..............:rolleyes:
    If it concerns US embassy staff, of course there's bloody tight security involved. Remember Kenya and Tanzania? And yes, if it is outside embassy grounds (ie. US territory), the security jurisdiction belongs to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

dear mtjulie, could you tell your da to stop sending troops through shannon to illegal imperialist war on their way to pillage iraq? thanks and can you help us arrest the cia agents and contractors who are going round the world kidnapping and torturting people and passing through shannon on there way, thanks.

Dear Lostexpectation,

Sure, I'll get right on it.

--mtjulie
    (jschamberlain1@gmail.com)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

mtjulie wrote: »
    Dear Lostexpectation,

--mtjulie

wow, just in the nick of time too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

mtjulie wrote: »
    Dear Lostexpectation,

--mtjulie
    He's been waiting 5 years for your reply you heartless woman.

I really am sorry. But I'm glad I re-discovered boards.ie! I had forgotten all about this. And my father died several years ago. But, just so you know, I agree with the assessment of American invasion of Iraq (and most of our decisions on foreign policy)! So if it would've done any good, I really would have given my opinion. ;)

--Julie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

Those last few posts made me chuckle. :pac: Thanks MTJulie & Co for brightening up an therwise dull lunch hour.

Advertisement