Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Busses (Rant)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Hardly throughout the day. There's none between 12 and 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

actually its 6:40. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Oh my god, come on! There's 13 a day, thats a far cry from 2 or 3 times a day. I guess they dont operate between 12 and 6.40 direct because not that many people (as they see) want a direct bus at these times.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

1 thing that does annoy me is that when the buses are doing there turn around at the Raheen Roundabout they pull in just before the first stop on the route and the driver seems to just pull out a paper and read until its actually the time to go to the stop! Why cant they just pull up and collect people who are standing in the freezing cold!

That's not an Irish peculiarity - in Berlin they have Betriebshaltestelle which are bus stops about 10m from the "normal@ stop at the start of a route. Its there that the driver parks for his break and then at the appointed time he pulls up.

We should bear in mind that these periods are often classed as rest-breaks for the driver so its nt really an option having people on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Not one to blow my own trumpet or anything, I got some of my rant published on the letters page of the limerick post today. that oughta rattle a few cages. or maybe not.

• Advertisement

Gaf, you complained about the service to the Post!!! What is the problem Bus Éireann are updating the service as stated above ( like 10 times) and whats more the one bad thing i said about the service, i now understand the reason behind it, (2 posts up) and i have gotten a good reason for the stopage... where are u coming from???

gaf1983 wrote:
    Not one to blow my own trumpet or anything, I got some of my rant published on the letters page of the limerick post today. that oughta rattle a few cages. or maybe not.

god dammit and i just left the post at work, are the letters availible online?

The buses werent running on Paddys day??? WTF??? I was at the stop in Raheen (which was full) and more people kept coming. i have never seen the stop so full, about 15 people there at one stage (about 20 mins before parade starts) and i was there, for a half hour in total. Most others were tourists here for that day and wanted to see the limerick parade and then most walked home or walked into town, some stayed after i left but it was obvious no buses were running!!!

This is the busiest day of March, the streets are prettty much blocked and no buses??? 30,000 cars trying to get around the city, i would have thought like any sane person the buses would run!!! How foolish i was!

This whole thread i have defended bus eireann, but when tourist (and locals) come to ireland for paddys day it should be special, FFS, they missed half (or all) the parade... thats a joke. I mean these people had a choice of going to limerick or dublin and they graced limerick ... to me i am proud of that but then the bus service decides to f*ck they're holidays up because the exact route they go was closed???
    It wasnt as if getting a bus from Raheen into the city was imossible, hell thousands of cars were doing it because the buses werent, why screw with people????

Thats sh*t they also say that they would be too much traffic in the city to make it possible for the buses to be able to do proper runs on a very precise time or something??????????

If you moved the stupid buses then half that traffic would be gone! and just double up the services for an hour around the parade!

Then after the parade i asked a guard 'will the buses operate again' and he assured me 'when the streets opened the drivers are waiting to drive around and park up the buses at stops' (and he was right too there were buses on every corner of the city), but he said the roads probably wouldnt open until 2!!! so that was grand just before two i see loads of buses moving into stops along williams street so i walk down to Brown Thomas (where the raheen buses leave) and O' Connell St. is blocked.

I asked the guard again where the bus is and he tells me the 308 is up there on williams street (it goes to Raheen - UL and stops in town) so i walk up and say to the driver 'this is going onto Raheen right'? "NO" he responds, not until that road opens ... until then it will circle UL - City Centre!

So i walk back down to the guard and say 'ok when will O Connell street open', and he says to me 'when they are ready'!!!!!!

Then i say 'ok when are the buses seduled to begin the route and he tells me 'they are waiting until we clear the route' ... and he doesnt know when that will be!!

During my wait I saw two thugs steal things from Merchants on the entrence to Crusis Street (by MacDonalds), While about 10 - 15 guards are standing by the railings which were blocking each section of O Connell Street, i guess to protect the railings or something??????????

The only civic operate that could be visibly doing something where the street cleaners and bhoy did they have one hell of a job to do!!!!

At about three my friends and i decided to walk!!!! I know Ireland is meant to be laid back but not f*cking asleep! I mean just as well Bus Éireann haven't got damn bus timetables at their stops ... if they had they might feel like they might have to go to the stops!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

Bus Eireann are the reason i worked my a*s off to get my car. I was sick of queuing for a bus at the UL bus stop in the pi*sing rain for an hour with another 30 ppl. then when the bus finally comes u gotta fight for ur life to get on the bus which u probably wont and u then have to stand in the rain for another hour waiting for a bus (i know they're scheduled for every 20 minutes.... yeah right!!)

then when u finally get to town u go queue for ur bus in bus eireann to go home, ur taking ur life into ur own hands in that place!!! i once went into the bathroom and saw a man (in the girls toilets id like to add) washing his feet in the sink!!!

then when u get the bus to go to ur destination, (in my case waterford) one of the following tends to happen;

1. the bus breaks down

2. the luggage starts to fall out during the trip & it takes the bus driver an hour to cop and then he has to drive back to pick it up

3. if its one of those buses thats goes to england with the loo on it, ur luggage will smell like pi*s

4. ur luggage will get robbed

5. u have to sit beside the crazy smelly old man whos talking to himself with a plastic bag which has drink or his worldly belongings (it seems that buses are these mens natural habitats)

6. while queueing for the bus you'll be skipped by limericks population of old ppl and their bus passes who think they can get on first cos they have what i like to call the Devine Right

7. last & not least (this actually happened to a mate of mine) if in the rare (and i mean rare) case that the bus is early, he'll stop half way through the journey & get the f**kin bus washed while all the people sit on it!!!!

so i got a job saved enough money for a banger & havent looked back since. and incase i do question why the hell i forked out on the car i got myself a bus eireann keyring to remind me of "the good auld days".

Thank you and good night.

btw, im really a nice person, not a narkey cow. bus eireann just gives me a headache

I like bus eireann i believe they do a god service and to be honest I havent noticed much pushing to get on the bus ... well not when your en route to downtown anyway, going back i try to be at the top of the queue and let elderly, people with prams in before me ... this also means thugs wait there turn then before my seat is taken i get in... its like a ritual now!!! But its weird those signs on the buses that say to q actually seem to have worked!!!

• Advertisement

obviously on a different route to me so!! there is no such thing as a queueing system in UL side when there are alot of ppl at the bus stop! ur arguements are valid from ur experiences and mine from mine i suppose.

oh and i dont push infront of old ppl or anything. i have no problem in letting them on first. ive often asked elderly ppl if they would like to get on b4 me. its the ignorant ones that push past u and then look at you like ur dirt from the end of their shoe that annoy me. they seem to think because they are elderly they HAVE to get one first & while this may be through they should have manners in proceeding to do it. i think its probably because they hate students

Just to be clear ... i wasnt thinking you did ... usually its people who cant use computers!!! lol.

The Elderly dont hate students they just dont trust students ... and maybe they are right! Most people who threat the Elderly like crap are all under 27 (i wanted an odd number)!

obviously on a different route to me so!! there is no such thing as a queueing system in UL side when there are alot of ppl at the bus stop! ur arguements are valid from ur experiences and mine from mine i suppose.

oh and i dont push infront of old ppl or anything. i have no problem in letting them on first. ive often asked elderly ppl if they would like to get on b4 me. its the ignorant ones that push past u and then look at you like ur dirt from the end of their shoe that annoy me. they seem to think because they are elderly they HAVE to get one first & while this may be through they should have manners in proceeding to do it. i think its probably because they hate students

there is no such thing as a queueing system anywhere in the city.

with regard to your bus journey to waterford, it is not part of the Limerick city comuter service, so I am sure that a different department of bus eireann is responsible for the upkeep of these busses.

ome more thing, please take note of the charter with regard to "txt spk"

sorry, force of habit with the text speak.

as for the whole waterford bus thing, i just got into a rant about bus eireann and couldn't be stopped!!! :D

are they not buying up spanking new busses for the intercity routes, have seen them coming in and out of the station.

Yeah they have the destination on the side which is a great idea on the city buses its just the numbers!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Something seriously needs to be done with the local busses in this bloody city. Was waiting 40 minutes for city centre-raheen bus this evening and when it did decide to show up it was packed beyond capacity. Then when it got as far as the Crescent shopping centre, instead of going straight on towards the industrial estate it went on a magical mystary tour passed the new County Council building and through a maze of houses in raheen going over speedbumps and everything. before emerging beside the church before the industrial estate.

The bus usually passes the regional hospital and there were several people going to visit relatives on the bus at the hospital. They did not find out they were not going towards the hospital until the driver decided to make his little detour.

The journey was made longer making me late for work.

I mean the busses are too damn small for this route to begin with. If they are not going to get bigger busses they should at least run every ten minutes instead of every twenty minutes. but making them run every ten minutes is no good if they are not going to show up when they are supposed to like they did today.

And passengers should have been notified if the route had been changed.

It is typical of Bus eireann in this city to be useless. only weeks after they stopped the number 6 bus entering southill because of scumbags what do they do, they change the route of the Rathbane bus to go into Carew Park.

Wow, I was waiting 40 minutes for a Raheen-City Centre bus. I wonderred what was going on on the other end XD

It is terrible. I nearly missed an important appointement with my lecturer. I've missed so many shops closing.

Completely unrelaible.

40 minutes!!! the service is every 20, wow i have never had to wait more than 10 minutes (except that stupid Paddys Day fiasco9I think i've posted it somewhere))!

Am i talking about the same service becuase on my buses there isnt pushing except on the return to raheen (scumbags who want to get off at the cresent S.C) but then its just them!!!

And my buses are always on time!

Between this board and live 95fm board I'm starting to realise i'm fighting an uphill battle ( i seem to keep defending this city)!!!LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

40 minutes!!! the service is every 20, wow i have never had to wait more than 10 minutes (except that stupid Paddys Day fiasco9I think i've posted it somewhere))!

Am i talking about the same service becuase on my buses there isnt pushing except on the return to raheen (scumbags who want to get off at the cresent S.C) but then its just them!!!

And my buses are always on time!

Between this board and live 95fm board I'm starting to realise i'm fighting an uphill battle ( i seem to keep defending this city)!!!LOL

It's Raheen that's the problem. Obviously they don't consider bringing people to and from the biggest working area in Limeirck an issue.

Advertisement