Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists deaths

Options
  • 16-02-2005 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Five cyclists deaths in less then two months and three cyclists deaths in about a week.

2005-02-15, 60s, Female, Swinford, Co Mayo, Truck
    2005-02-09, 79, Male, Thurles, Co Tipperary, Car
    2005-02-08, 32, Male, East Wall Road & Annesley Bridge, Dublin, Truck
    2005-01-20, 27, Male, East Wall Road & Alexandra Road, Dublin, Truck
    2004-12-30, 70s, Male, Grand Canal Place & Echlin Street, Dublin, Truck

The total cyclist deaths for last year was 12, we aren't even two months into the year and we are already up to a third of last years total.

We're already up to 55 dead since the start of the year. http://www.garda.ie/angarda/statistics98/nroadstats.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

That junction at Annesley Bridge is a nightmare for cyclists and pedestrians. For a while back there, they stopped trucks going down that part of East Wall Road altogether, but they seem to have allowed them back.

Hopefully the long-awaited tunnel will reduce the numbers of trucks taking that turn - though at the moment, there is no reason why they could not take the Alfie Byrne Road to and from the docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

I checked out the accident site yesterday before a meeting with the DTO and Dublin Cycling Campign, it was somebody from the a local residents group or even the DTO which hold me the cyclist was killed by a left turning cement truck.

Unfortunately having the port tunnel would not have helped in this case, the cement depot is no more then 100 meters from the left turn, so the cement trucks need (want?) to turn left at that junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Maybe these truck-bike deaths would be less common if the front of a truck looked more like this:
    busfront.jpg

instead of this:
    truckfront.jpg

I don't know of any reason other than driver comfort and tradition that trucks have such poor close up visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

This doesn't really surprise me. Even cycling in a non-urban situation, on a wide road with hard shoulders in the middle of a clear day, it's amazing how little room and/or respect you are given by idiot drivers. It's almost as if they view you as a rival that should be intimidated out of competing for their road space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Zaph0d wrote:
    Maybe these truck-bike deaths would be less common if the front of a truck looked more like this:
    busfront.jpg

instead of this:
    truckfront.jpg

I don't know of any reason other than driver comfort and tradition that trucks have such poor close up visibility.

Would you care to elaborate on your posting? Bear in mind that in the pictures shown in the posting the driver is in virtually the same position. More glass on the bus but thats superficial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

When I'm cycling I give all of these trucks a very wide berth. Too many cyclists cut up the inside of them, or take chances cutting through traffic. With the best of intentions all road users can't look 360 degress 100% of the time, and all road users have blind spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

BrianD wrote:
    Would you care to elaborate on your posting? Bear in mind that in the pictures shown in the posting the driver is in virtually the same position. More glass on the bus but thats superficial.

I think the point he is trying to make is that in the truck the bottom of the windscreen is about 3 feet above a persons head would be. The aircoach has a windscreen ending much lower down. I presume this may give the driver a better chance of seeing someone at that corner. After all it is easier to see through glass than metal.biggrin.gif

MrP

Is the front of the truck the problem. I would have assumed to the sides and behind was the biggest problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The reason why trucks have high windscreens is mainly down to economics. Manufacturers place the engine as far forward as possible and place the driver above it is in order to maximise cargo space while keeping the overall length of the truck as short as possible. Buses are different as there are different priorities/requirements when carrying passengers. Passengers have to be accomodated in reasonable comfort and there is a lot of wasted space above and below them. The engine in a bus is often under the floor and well back from the driver. Also, the big front overhang on buses that allows the driver to sit well forward of the front axle (and therefore sit lower) would never be accepted in a arcticulated lorry as the overhang would be wasted space. Whereas in buses passengers can be put in the overhang.

BrianD3

Well I think Zaphod was entirely missing the point! There is not much difference in the forward visibility enjoyed by either the bus driver or a truck driver. Most of the windshield area is not usable by the bus driver as its obscured by the dash. Granted that a truck driver is generally seated higher than a bus driver. Most incidents involving cyclists and trucks are not resulting from the driver not seeing the cyclist in front of him. They occur when the truck driver is turning left.

I am aware that HGV's particularly artics have blind spots more so than any other vehicle on the road. I remain unconvinced that these blindspots are the primary cause of the many deaths involving cyclists. I believe that mediocre standard of driving by motorists (as a generic group) in Ireland is equally matched by poor cycling techniques by our two wheeled friends. Unfortunately, a simple error of judgement or careless moment will cause almost certain death for a cyclist.

I know its difficult cycling in poor weather conditions, uneven surfaces and inconsiderate motorists but how do so many cyclists end up in the blind spot of a left turning HGV? If a truck slows down, indicates and begins a left turn why do some cyclists continue on oblivious to this? Should they not be slowing down and 'tailing' the truck until it completes the turn? Maybe getting to read that sign that says 'do not pass on inside if truck is turning left'? Perhaps the HGV drivers are equally oblivious to the cyclist, don't indicate etc. but the golden rule is the smaller vehicle yields to the larger one and I thought that self preservation would establish that!

• Advertisement

Bad driving made worse by chronic traffic congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

Perhaps the HGV drivers are equally oblivious to the cyclist, don't indicate etc.

In my experience, that is the biggest issue. There are many many drivers of Trucks, buses, and especially cars, that seem to think that there is no need to indicate to turn left. Most of these types of drivers have a tendancy to compound this by not bothering to look either, or in the case of the occasional (but not rare) complete idiot, to deliberately decide to ignore the cyclist (or pedestrian) and make their turn anyway.

In the case of HGVs and buses this non-indicating is particularly dangerous. Bearing in mind that the law dictates that cylists should use cycle lanes, and that these are usually on the left of traffic, you can presumably see how cyclist get slaughtered because of this type of dangerous driving.

Apart from never ever undertaking a truck/bus (unrealistic in normal Dublin rush hour traffic), there is very little that a cyclist can do if these idiots continue to not bother indicating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

BrianD wrote:
    Well I think Zaphod was entirely missing the point! There is not much difference in the forward visibility enjoyed by either the bus driver or a truck driver. Most of the windshield area is not usable by the bus driver as its obscured by the dash. Granted that a truck driver is generally seated higher than a bus driver. Most incidents involving cyclists and trucks are not resulting from the driver not seeing the cyclist in front of him. They occur when the truck driver is turning left.

I am aware that HGV's particularly artics have blind spots more so than any other vehicle on the road. I remain unconvinced that these blindspots are the primary cause of the many deaths involving cyclists. I believe that mediocre standard of driving by motorists (as a generic group) in Ireland is equally matched by poor cycling techniques by our two wheeled friends. Unfortunately, a simple error of judgement or careless moment will cause almost certain death for a cyclist.

I know its difficult cycling in poor weather conditions, uneven surfaces and inconsiderate motorists but how do so many cyclists end up in the blind spot of a left turning HGV? If a truck slows down, indicates and begins a left turn why do some cyclists continue on oblivious to this? Should they not be slowing down and 'tailing' the truck until it completes the turn? Maybe getting to read that sign that says 'do not pass on inside if truck is turning left'? Perhaps the HGV drivers are equally oblivious to the cyclist, don't indicate etc. but the golden rule is the smaller vehicle yields to the larger one and I thought that self preservation would establish that!

Seems there are assumtions being made regarding cyclists deaths and culpability here. Particularly in regards Left turning vehicles.
    What about those Left turning motorists that overtake the cyclist approaching the turn, then turn directly in front of them.

Also, it is unclear if the vehicles were actually turning at the time, maybe they were approaching the turn and manoevered farther to the left side of the road, getting into the turning lane if there is one (and inventing one when there isn't).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

I think the reason that cyclist deaths have increased is two-fold: first, an increase in the number of cyclists on the road; second, the extraordinarily arrogant attitude of drivers who think the road is theirs to own.

Without a proper cycling infrastructure deaths will only go up. Something has got to be done to protect cyclists. Trucks and double decker buses are lethal weapons. I've often been stuck in a row of buses/trucks and wondered how I came out of it alive. The galling thing is that Dublin could be such a beautiful city to cycle in. The streets are flat, the architecture pleasant, the rain (surprisingly) rare.

But no. Instead we get pieces of red paint (dubbed: 'cycle lane') which do not even allow cyclists travel two-abreast. Cars are legally allowed park in these 'lanes' during the off-peak, when they are most neccessary. Taxis pull in and out freely, and big double decker buses come crashing in in front of you. In this climate the only miracle is that more aren't killed.

And don't get me started on what the City Council calls "cycle track". Essentially, these "tracks" exist in part of the road where they couldn't even be bothered painting the chalk. At the junction of the M4/M50, at the roundabout where you enter the M50, I spotted a sign saying "cycle track". Goodness knows how the City Council expects a cyclist to navigate this death trap of a roundabout, but isn't it brazen that some actually sat down and had the nerve to pretend that this was part of the Xkm of "cycle track" in Dublin.

jman0 wrote:
    Seems there are assumtions being made regarding cyclists deaths and culpability here. Particularly in regards Left turning vehicles.
    What about those Left turning motorists that overtake the cyclist approaching the turn, then turn directly in front of them.

Also, it is unclear if the vehicles were actually turning at the time, maybe they were approaching the turn and manoevered farther to the left side of the road, getting into the turning lane if there is one (and inventing one when there isn't).

Well the blind spot that is often spoken about only comes into play with the truck starts articulating i.e the driver can no longer see the length of the vehicle as he would if he were going in a straight line. I understand what you are saying about 'beating' a cyclist to a junction and cutting him off. On the other side of the coin I find it very fustrating where I have indicated to go left and have to proceed slowly and a cyclist still comes up on the inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

BrianD wrote:
    but the golden rule is the smaller vehicle yields to the larger one and I thought that self preservation would establish that!

The may be a good idea when attacked by a motorist, but it is is not in fact a rule. Here are some rules:

10. (1) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, if to do so would endanger, or cause inconvenience to, any other person.
    (2) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, unless the roadway ahead of the driver—
    ... ( b ) is sufficiently long and wide to permit the overtaking to be completed without danger or inconvenience to other traffic or pedestrians.
    (4) Subject to the provisions of sub-article (5), a driver shall overtake on the right and shall not move in towards the left until it is safe to do so.

Metrobest wrote:
    first, an increase in the number of cyclists on the road;

Based on information I have access to from the DTO. The number of cyclists has decresed about 16 % for the DTO region (26330 1996 Census to 22028 Census 2002). DTO Canal Cordon counts for the same period have shown a general downward trend (about 13%), with a leveling in 2003.

I don't have numbers for 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The may be a good idea when attacked by a motorist, but it is is not in fact a rule. Here are some rules:

10. (1) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, if to do so would endanger, or cause inconvenience to, any other person.
    (2) A driver shall not overtake, or attempt to overtake, unless the roadway ahead of the driver—
    ... ( b ) is sufficiently long and wide to permit the overtaking to be completed without danger or inconvenience to other traffic or pedestrians.
    (4) Subject to the provisions of sub-article (5), a driver shall overtake on the right and shall not move in towards the left until it is safe to do so.

Cool. You can quote these rules as they scrape you out of the tyre tread of a lorry.

It is hugely annoying when drivers ignore the rules of the road. It can also be dangerous. Anytime I am driving or riding a bike or even walking I constantly watch other road users. Making sure you follow the rules of the road is not enough, you need to watch every other punter on the road as well. It is unfortunate but we have to make allowance for other peoples ignorance, stupidity and lawless behaviour.

At the end of the day it is better to be alive than right. You are absolutly right in what you say but being right will not stop some tosser from running you over.

I appreciate that this is porbably a stupid idea but would it work better if the cycle lanes worked in reverse to the cars? What I mean is if bikes rode on the right. This would get rid of the problem of lorries turning left into cyclists in their blind spots. Please don't be too hard on me for this idea, I am trying.

MrP

Can you give me the ones that talk about undertaking and passing on the left! Just for the benefit of the two wheelers!.

Let me say again, the golden rule is that the smaller vehicle yields to the larger. Not only is it polite but can often keep you alive!

BrianD wrote:
    Can you give me the ones that talk about undertaking and passing on the left! Just for the benefit of the two wheelers!.

Sure, here they are:
    "A driver may only overtake on the left—
    ( a ) where the driver of the vehicle about to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the right and the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to go straight ahead or to turn to the left,
    ( b ) where the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to turn left at the next road junction and has signalled this intention,
    ( c ) in slow moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver's right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle.
    BrianD wrote:
    Let me say again, the golden rule is that the smaller vehicle yields to the larger. Not only is it polite but can often keep you alive!

I disagree that this is a rule, but I agree that it is a good idea not to challenge a motorist wielding a lethal weapon.

It would most polite for the motorist to obey the law and to practice patience, discipline and consideration for the safety of others.

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote:
    I appreciate that this is porbably a stupid idea but would it work better if the cycle lanes worked in reverse to the cars? What I mean is if bikes rode on the right. This would get rid of the problem of lorries turning left into cyclists in their blind spots. Please don't be too hard on me for this idea, I am trying.
    MrP

Numerous problems with this:

1: Most cycle lanes only operate on a part-time basis (Mon-Sat 7am-7pm). Could get dangerous if you're cycling in one at 6:59pm and when just after 7pm when cars would be allowed drive in them and park on them.

2: Lights from oncoming cars would be dazzling. If you want to see what I mean, try the Clontarf coastal track, where no provision has been made for lighting & cyclists are forced by law to ride on unlit tracks with car headlamps dazzling them.

3: Pedestrians wouldn't be looking the right way when crossing.

4: Even if the cycle lanes were 24x7, drivers would still drive and park on them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is the rule not more like the driver of the larger vehicle never bothers to look out for any vehicles smaller than them.

Its great that there are no bad cyclists in the country. They all use lights, bright coloured clothes and obey the rules perfectly. Equally its amazing that all motorists are bad drivers too. :rolleyes:

Wait at any junction in Dublin with a large vehicle turning left and you'll have rake of impatient cyclists undertaking him even as he turns the corner. In fact I think I could count on one hand the number of times I've ever seen a cyclist waiting in line for a large vehicle to make a left turn. Thankfully I have seen an increasing number of Guards stopping Cyclists for breaking lights. But I'd say its a never ending task.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

Ricardo.
    Firstly, there are plenty of bad cyclist who break multiple laws, and put their own lives and health in danger in the process. As a cyclist, I would be delighted if the Gardai threw the book at these guys. Also, there are plenty of drivers who drive in a safe legal manner with consideration for all other road users. I don't think I've ever read a post here which explicitly said otherwise.

Now having said that, can you accept that there are a lot of cyclists who do dress up like a christmas tree (even though there is no legal requirement to wear a reflective jacket), who do obey the rules of the road, don't break red lights, and don't undertake vehicles which have indicated that they will be turning left?

Can you also accept that there are plenty of dangerous drivers who needlessly endanger the lives of cylists throught their reckless selfish actions?

And can you accept that these cyclists (the law abiding ones) deserve protection from reckless motorists who put their lives in danger (or do their lives not matter as much as preventing minor irritation to impatient motorists)?

(I'm not trying to imply that the lawbreaking cyclists desrve to get mangled)
    Thankfully I have seen an increasing number of Guards stopping Cyclists for breaking lights. But I'd say its a never ending task.

Enforcing all laws, traffic related or not, car related, cycle related etc is a never ending task. Thats why they're still there! How many cars break traffic light laws, e.g. Amber = prepare to stop, and not accelerate to beat the red. I must literrally see hundreds of cars break the law every day.

You mean like
    jman0 wrote:
    Fair play to you, I hate these fecking motorists they behave as if cyclists have no rights and the gards are useless.

or
    test999 wrote:
    Why are motorcyclists thugs?

Theres usually a lot more usually posted by people with names like CarsAreEvil and BikesAreBad etc.

The sarcasm in my post was meant to infer that there are good and bad on both sides. So that in the case of accidents at least some of them can be attributed to stupidity, or poor judgement on the part of the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

After coming across this thread, I decided to count the number of cyclists I saw today in the area where I was working.

I had to leave the job several times to get stuff from a van and a car. Both were parked on a side road about 50 metres from where I was working.

The first cyclist I came across was a female in her 20's. I walked from parking my car to the main road and spotted her on the far side of the road. I walked slowly down the road in the direction she was headed waiting for a gap in the traffic. A car horn blew behind me. I looked around to see a car stopped and the cyclist waving an apology as she crossed his path. She then cycled onto the footpath and went past me.

An hour later I was getting some stuff from the van which at this point was directly outside where I was working. As I closed the back door of the van and stepped up onto the path, a cyclist came toward me ... on the footpath.

The next 3 cyclists I saw passed by on the road without incident.

The sixth cyclist was an old dear cycling on the road and approaching a red light. She crossed the road, went up on the path and turned right at the junction.

The seventh was a man in his 40's leaving his garden. He cycled his bike down to the junction on the footpath. The light was red. He stopped, looked to his right and cycled on through the red light.

Later, on my way home I stopped at a shop. As I left the shop a teenage cyclist sped past the door of the shop on the path.

I counted a further 7 cyclists. 2 of these were on the road immediately adjacent to a cycle lane. Only 3 of the 7 had a light on the bike, (It was dark)

Of 15 cyclists I noticed today, more than half broke the law in some manner. I have no problem with cyclists. But I firmly believe that most of those involved in accidents have only themselves to blame.

Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

DubTony wrote:
    But I firmly believe that most of those involved in accidents have only themselves to blame.

Tony

Only most? The idiots that have given cycling a bad name in Dublin deserve to be jailed.

The infrastructure (what infrastructure!) imposed by DCC's Traffic morons is lethal to cyclists. You just have to look at the growth in Footpath extensions coupled with rain filled kerbs due to road ramps that force the cyclists further out onto the road into cars/trucks.

Remember the carnage on O'Connell bridge when DCC built the footpath out and then was forced (tho' would never admit liability!) in withdrawing it again, Some cycle joke lanes are so inept they only encourage cyclists to break the law.

The law needs to be imposed heavily on cyclists who break it as the majority of cyclists that can be witnessed on DCC's traffic tapes can be seen ignoring it most of the time.

Bee

I really like this thread.

As a Dublin based cyclist, I would agree with people that a (large?) number of cyclists have very poor road skills, fail to comply with the law and compeletly disregard for there own and others saftey. But this also applies to a (large?) number of motorists and pedestrians. (I don't claim to be an angle on the roads either).

Every road user has a duty of care to themselves and to every other road user. (http://www.irishstatuebook.ie/ZZA14Y1993S67.html)

We all need to respect and be patient of other peoples needs, and when the law is broken it needs to be enforced.

What we do have is poor laws, poor education, poor design, poor implementation, poor maintenance, poor enforcement, and poor personal responsibility. Which leads to cycle tracks which are more dangerous then using the road, or people breaking speed limits which they feel are to low.

A quick comment:
    1: Most cycle lanes only operate on a part-time basis (Mon-Sat 7am-7pm).

Cycle tracks operate 24 hours unless there is a information plate which indicates otherwise. People assume that it's 7 to 7 or ignore it anyway. (http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI274Y1998.html, Section 6)

Have to agree with robfitz 100%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

BrianD wrote:
    I got the impression having been inside both types of vehicle (aircoach and truck) that the coach had better driver visibility. I could be wrong. the coach driver is closer to the road and has a lower windscreen so may have better close up visibility in the forward direction.

This may not be true for side visibility.

Also the coach driver seems more vulnerable in case of an accident than a truck driver and this may have alter his driving behaviour.

It seems more than bad luck when two cyclists are killed by trucks in less than three weeks at the same junction.

Advertisement