Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Online checker

Options
  • 14-02-2005 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

I'm curious. Has anyone else noticed that their NTL account number in the NTL checker is now showing as BB being available? Yet when you call them up they say its "in your area" just not your street yet?

I just checked mine and got all excited when I saw BB available. Called them and disappointment..

Conspiracy theory view : Is this a minor response to Smart announcing their BB product (and possibility of viewing TV over DSL lines) :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Yup! I check my a/c on there about once a week. Got a bit excited when I checked last Thursday.

Phoned up and got told that Dublin 20 has barely been touched and that, bacically, I shouldn't hold my breath.

No NTL, no Smart, no rollout plans in Chapelizod. :(

Edited to add the website allowed me to proceed and order bb anyway. The confirmation message says I'll be contacted within 24 hours to arrange an installation time. Can't wait :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Can someone link me to that online checker?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Can someone link me to that online checker?
    Thanks.

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/sales/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Sarsfield wrote:
    Yup! I check my a/c on there about once a week. Got a bit excited when I checked last Thursday.

Phoned up and got told that Dublin 20 has barely been touched and that, bacically, I shouldn't hold my breath.

No NTL, no Smart, no rollout plans in Chapelizod. :(

Edited to add the website allowed me to proceed and order bb anyway. The confirmation message says I'll be contacted within 24 hours to arrange an installation time. Can't wait :rolleyes:

are iol not available there? very good service.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

lomb wrote:
    are iol not available there? very good service.

Except for their legenday accounts department and frequent stories like this one! No company with an accounts department as manifestly imcompetent as IOL's deserves a recommendation no matter how good their service is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

machalla wrote:
    I'm curious. Has anyone else noticed that their NTL account number in the NTL checker is now showing as BB being available? Yet when you call them up they say its "in your area" just not your street yet?

I just checked mine and got all excited when I saw BB available. Called them and disappointment..

Conspiracy theory view : Is this a minor response to Smart announcing their BB product (and possibility of viewing TV over DSL lines) :)

Same here in Galway, the online checker say yes, but the guy on the phone says his system sayes no.

machalla wrote:

Obviously they have changed their policy. Will only result in more calls to their Call center making their legendary customer service even worse!

Are they still offering a free trial for new customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I think the free trial thing is over but you get 50% off the first 3 months instead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I have had NTL BB since it came out roughly 3 years ago (Tallaght). Trying to get IOL/ESAT in Kilcock since last November, the just keep telling me that my starter pack and gear are in the post and should be with me in a week or so, utter BO**OX if you as me!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

I have had NTL BB since it came out roughly 3 years ago (Tallaght). Trying to get IOL/ESAT in Kilcock since last November, the just keep telling me that my starter pack and gear are in the post and should be with me in a week or so, utter BO**OX if you as me!! :mad:

WTF - are you waiting since November!!!!!! :eek:

Can you call in to their office and collect it by hand.
    Tell them you've been recently inspired by films like American Psycho, and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and that you really want your BB now :D

causal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Mate of mine was in a similar position - but seen as he is the lazy type, he rang Eircom and they had their pack to him in 4 days.

Esat/IOL are losing customers on their system and they don't seem to give a sh1t.

machalla wrote:

No matter what you put into the account number it now shows the three options as being available!!!!!! What a wast of people's time!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I got a pm from someone from NTL explaining that something is up with their online checker currently. If it can't find your info it just displays all of the options whether they are available or not. So that explains it. Also got some idea that where I live currently is not on the roadmap for NTL BB upgrade anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭silent

dub45 wrote:
    No matter what you put into the account number it now shows the three options as being available!!!!!! What a wast of people's time!!!!

the page name should give you a hint
    http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/sales/unrecog.asp?pid=0
    uncrecog.asp stands for unrecognized - maybe only accounts that are capable of getting broadband do show up a recognized? tried 2 accounts, both unrecognized *shrugs* not available near me anyway, smart's dsl will however :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

machalla wrote:

Same with myself - and they have no excuse about it being available in my area but not on my street. They have being down broadband in my area for the past 4 or 5 years now, but incredibly, its only my SIDE of the road that seems to be out of the service area rolleyes.gif People on the opposite side of my street have cable modems that work grand mad.gif

If you know someone with an ntl cable modem, it might be worth a try hooking it up to your own cable connection and seeing if it can lock on a signal. I remember a mate of mine telling me ntl used to BS all the time about broadband not being available in his area, but he got hold of a cable modem and surprise, surprise - it worked! So that shut them up and they eventually installed him. biggrin.gif

Obviously, ntl have no idea of what services are available where

Advertisement