Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the best male singer of the past 100 years?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

In his own genre of singing, Al Stewart.

Perfect diction everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭littlejay

i was never really a lover of jazz and crooner music but... i got me mammy a cd for xmas michael buble. holy sh_it this canidian guy can sing .
    if any one is on msn i can send a piece of his music to ya for a listen really awesome . so good i bought ,,dont laugh . his new album called its time. theres a track on it called song for you.

i swear to god im 36 years old. and i have no quams bout telling people this guy is up there with the best..
    normaly i like oasis jacko. george michael .and coldplay beatles . all that kinda stuff.

if i had to pick my top singer .mmmmmm?
    michael jackson would be in the top three anyway.

http://www4.cdwow.ie/detail_results.php?product_code=16085

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

JEFF BUCKLEY an absolute God

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

robert plant, james brown, frank sinatra, marvin gaye, jim morrison, bb king(in the bluesy sense of singing), john lennon..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

The Mighty Brothers Gibb have the best voices ever and I am not talking about that falsetto - ****e. They r around for a good while and never seized to amaze me. Especially Robins voice is amazing.

Honourable mentions: George Michael, Paul Stanley and Michael Bolton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Marvin Gaye all the way I'm with Doctor J.
    Ryhmes too!
    Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Gandolf

Bradley Nowell from Sublime...get some of their live stuff or with just him and his gat. Expression and soul...he could sing on his own quietly and have you really feeling it.

Pity bout the O/D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

Freddie Mercury!!!!! Eddie Vedder, or Dave Grohl

yeah joe dolan gets my vote!! and we can't forget out darling daniel o'donnell!!! haha :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

oh yeah forgot about Stevie Wonder, so my final two would be him and Freddie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

Tom Waits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

yeah, marvin gaye
    Sinatra
    Nat king cole (aka old chocolate voice)
    David Bowie
    Al Jolson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jinxed

John Lennon,
    Marvin Gaye,
    Robert Plant,
    Freddie Mercury,
    Chris Cornell,
    Mark Lanegan,
    Eric Clapton,
    and Jim Morrison.

........ quite a few but i just couldn't choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭tibilt

kurt cobain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭logonapr

Roy Orbison without a doubt and I'm not alone in this view,

Elvis Presley described Roy Orbison as The greatest singer in the world."

Bruce Springsteen inducted Orbison into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and recalled how he always "wanted to sing like Roy Orbison. Now everybody knows that nobody sings like Roy Orbison.”

"His great gift was to turn the pain and bad luck that he experienced into ground breaking songs" - Bono/U2 ( who wrote 'She's a Mystery to me' for Orbison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

well if we're gonna go in terms of technique, ability, range and versatility, its gonna be an opera singer

2+2=5, I see where you're coming from, but that's not necessarily true. In particular, versatility... I have a few friends who are professionaly opera singers, but it's not very easy for them to sing something rocking, you know?

Besides, the thread was "Best male vocalist..." - It says nothing about excluding opera singers.

Funny how you said that, and in fact sinatra and mercury were mentioned in the very post that you posted after....

Nidge, I don't know what you mean. Is that sarcasm? Or do you just mean I reminded people? (And no, I'm not being sarcastic myself... :))

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

Layne Stayley...f***kin' brilliant, better than cobain, cornell, vedder..all those..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

edson wrote:
    Layne Stayley...f***kin' brilliant, better than cobain, cornell, vedder..all those..

He's not better than Cornell. No way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭humbleCounty

Jim Morrison hands down, the man had it all

also Robert Smith (The Cure) he was pretty original and came up with some amazing melodies

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

Giblet wrote:
    He's not better than Cornell. No way.

well.....IMO he is but we all have our opinions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

Nidge, I don't know what you mean. Is that sarcasm? Or do you just mean I reminded people? (And no, I'm not being sarcastic myself... :))[/QUOTE]

No i wasn't being sarcastic. It's just you said that none of those names had yet been mentioned, when strangely enough the very post before you had mentioned two of them. No sarcasm intended.

• Advertisement
Advertisement