Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who else couldnt get U2 tickets?

• 04-02-2005 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

I went to ticketmaster at 5 this morning with laptop and tried phone, laptop and queue, couldnt get any. Im a die hard U2 fan, every album on cd and record, and most singles, but couldnt get tickets. I feel robbed. Anyone else?

Im not looking forward to paying a tout €200.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Couldn't get tickets either but I hear there are another 2 days to be announced. Can't believe that nothing was done to even try and tackle the touting issue. When are the government going to do something about it?

I will not pay tout rates to go see the gig, like yourself I've every U2 album, I've seen them live twice (Popmart & Slane) so tbh if I can't get a ticket for the next gig or no-one offers me one for face value, I'm just gonna give this one a miss.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

never seen u2 live and i really wanted to go - am rightly pissed off. came into ucd this morning but it was a lost cause, and there's no luck on the ticketmaster site. ****!

• Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭dark_knight_ire

I'm not banned for touting, but if I do wish to sell tickets, I'll do it in the For Sale section, and follow the rules there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Unreal,did they even turn on the web or answer a phone - the usual crap now they'll be on Ebay in about an hour... already loads of the pre-sales tickets there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

They'll issue more tickets later on i reckon &(according to someone i know) They are dfineitely gonna playthe sunday night too so keep yr ears & eyes peeled.

<snip>
    I've just reported that post and tbh hope it gets you a banning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Ive just reported it also.
    Enjoy your ban you scum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

TO be honest, you didn't make much of an effort for the band you Love. 5am.... that's only 3 hours before they went on sale.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dark_knight - touting is illegal, I would have thought you'd be well aware of that, being a Garda and all. I'm not going to ban you, but one of my co-mods may decide otherwise.

• Advertisement

Lump wrote:
    TO be honest, you didn't make much of an effort for the band you Love. 5am.... that's only 3 hours before they went on sale.

John
    The point is that if it weren't for the touts, it wouldn't be necessary to get up that early. 6 tickets really is too many to allow a single customer to book as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I am booking 4 tix for London at the moment as a fail safe in case I cant get tickets for here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Shred

Heard on the Strawberry Alarmclock this morning that someone from the planning authority office (whatever it's called) texted them yesterday to say that the original planning application was for three days (ie: Fri, SAt & Sun). So it looks like they had always intended on doing three nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,057 ✭✭✭✭Basq

MCD have announced there'll be no third concert!

Queued up for the first Slane in 2001.. and got 4 tickets. I was pressed up against glass outside Tesco for 20 minutes but it was well worth it as Slane was probably the best gig i've ever been to.

But didn't really wanna go through it again, and i wasn't too pushed in seeing them. Don't get me wrong.. they're an amazing live band but i just wasn't in the mood for going through the queuing, pushing and eventually, the anger if i didn't get tickets.

I said if they announce a third date, i'll consider going but looks like i won't be this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Lump wrote:

John

thats a really helpful post there lump. how does it make a difference how early you get up when the tickets go on sale online at 8am?

i spent an hour online and got as far as the !st actual booking page, no further. bah

Shred wrote:
    Heard on the Strawberry Alarmclock this morning that someone from the planning authority office (whatever it's called) texted them yesterday to say that the original planning application was for three days (ie: Fri, SAt & Sun). So it looks like they had always intended on doing three nights.
    Unfortunately it appears that MCD disagree:

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2005/0204/u2.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

For the supposed "Die Hard" fans out there, if you'd subscribed to the U2.com website, you'd of got them. I've no sympathies for you, everyone I know who subscribed, got tickets including myself! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Most I know who subscibed couldn't get through cos TM crashed, and the codes were for a short time window anyway.

I didn't get any this morning either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

The window was til yesterday, I managed to get 4 for Friday night on Wednesday afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I really wanted to go... The first night of U2 is my 21st!

• Advertisement

flanzer wrote:
    For the supposed "Die Hard" fans out there, if you'd subscribed to the U2.com website, you'd of got them. I've no sympathies for you, everyone I know who subscribed, got tickets including myself! :D:D:D

I put quite a bit of thought into joining the U2 website, i decided not to since I was an original member of the U2 fan club from around 1989 when you had to post away for it and you would get propeganda magazine. I have spend alot of money over the years, on records, tapes, cd's, singles, posters, merchandise, books and magazines. I found it insulting to be asked for a further €40 for a membership I thought I already had. I have allways been one to stick up for U2 in any conversation or argument or when someone calls Bono a "stupid gob****e" for the work he does, but I am dissapointed with the promotion and orginisation of this tour, from the website fan fee to the U2 Ipod to the lax laws on touting and the fact that ticketmasters online and phone system were so badly run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

skywalker wrote:
    thats a really helpful post there lump. how does it make a difference how early you get up when the tickets go on sale online at 8am?

i spent an hour online and got as far as the !st actual booking page, no further. bah

Yea it was, although maybe you should have listened to the people that posted over the last couple of days. I remember reading at least 3 posts where people said they had seen people queuing from 6 o clock in the evening.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Lump wrote:
    Yea it was, although maybe you should have listened to the people that posted over the last couple of days. I remember reading at least 3 posts where people said they had seen people queuing from 6 o clock in the evening.

John

thats pretty irrelevant if your booking online no? they only went on sale at 8am, and for once ticketmaster seemed to stick to the correct time. I dont know how to say that any simpler.

personally im a little pissed but its not the end of the world or anything. but people who are genuinely pissed off about it arent going to thank you for sitting there telling them its their own fault and taking joy from poking at people. Have you ever heard the phrase if you've nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Qued up last night outside the UCD student centre and got my tickets this morning luckily enough. I understand there was a lot of people who came later in the morning that didn't get much joy though. There were many dissapointed faces around the forum this morning when 8am came and the guy in charge had to tell the people that only seating tix where left for the second date.

I really think that they should delay the internet and phone lines for a couple of hours, or at least allocate a number of tickets for each outlet because a lot of people were left dissapointed and its really not fair. When you think about it like this.. imagine, for example, 500 hundred people outside ten different outlets around the country, that's 5000 people total and the average person buys three or four tickets, that's 15000 or 20000 tickets out of an estimated 240,000 available for three shows. That's a drop in the ocean. Surely they can hold this relatively small amount for a couple of hours, its not like the concerts aren't going to sell out anyway.

Okay, not the most accurate of figures but you get my point I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

hmm... I'm curious .. did anyone actually manage to buy a ticket online on ticketmaster ... ??

I'm gonna make a guess and say no ?? considering it was pretty much dead every time I tried it from 8 on ... hmm... kept hanging ... all the time ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Blisterman wrote:

FFS!!! That guy bought 6 tickets, and within hours of getting them, was selling all 6 of them in pairs of 2 on ebay!! you have no fu*king idea how mad that makes me!!!

It should be the law, regardless of concert or demand, only 2 tickets per transaction...if you want more, you have to que up again.

*Sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I rang up Ticketmaster UK and got through after a few rings. Was in a queue for about 10 minutes but had no problem getting my tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

You got tickets for the Croke Park gig from Ticketmaster UK?

I wish i thought of that. i went on the ticketmaster.co.uk site right afterwards & saw them for sale there. Well maybe next time.

• Advertisement

Blisterman wrote:
    Well maybe next time.

I doubt there will be a next time, maybe a reunion tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I wouldnt worry lads, my best mate works in ticketmaster and there is definitely going to be three gigs. DEFINITELY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus talk about mass hysteria over a bunch of has been rock stars who weren't even that good in their hayday !!!

I saw them once during the Zoo TV tour in Koln and they were ok but tbh I got more excited cause the Toten Hosen were playing backup :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

hAhA

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

Yeah I'm really p1ssed off,i was on-line for 8 oclock this morning and 2 of my work colleague's here, we have fast internet here, and none of us got through to book any tickets :mad:

I've never seen u2 live and really wanted to go.
    Heard on the radio this morning the sites in the UK were selling tickets for the third gig , and apparently on this site there is goint to be 4 gig's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope there is going to be another gig.
    The government really need to clamp down on touts, it should be a criminal offence to sell tickets for more that face value.

Well it's a free country. I think it is Illegal anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I really wanted to go... The first night of U2 is my 21st!

So what? you are way too young to be a REAL U2 fan :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

There will be 3 gigs for any of you who are worried, that's definite.
    MCD are just doing this as a marketing ploy.
    Have premium level tickets for Croke Park and because have season tickets got offered tickets for the 3 nights through Croke Park (all taken i'm afraid).

So in short there's still a good chance to get tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The real problem here is this insane 6 ticket allocation per buyer. It's playing right into the hands of the touts.

Here's a thought; if I go to ryanair or easyjet's websites and buy tickets to wherever, I am OBLIGED to provide the exact name of the person who will be using that ticket. If the person can't go for some reason that ticket is non-transferrable without the payment of admin fees to have the airline change the name.
    So why not have a similar system to stop resellers? Sure, it creates hassle and means it takes a little longer to get the audience into the venue, but it stops resellers in their tracks or at least makes things very difficult for them.

I'm not a U2 fan (at least not so much that I'd want to go see them live) but I know how popular they are, and they're certainly not the first band to sell out their gigs in under an hour for the exact same reasons.
    Oh and to whoever that cop is, talking about reselling; what's the matter? Don't you get paid enough without having to go and break the law? Or is it one law for you and a different one for the rest of us? For shame, muppet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

should this thread be on the rip-off Ireland board ?

seamus wrote:
    dark_knight - touting is illegal, I would have thought you'd be well aware of that, being a Garda and all. I'm not going to ban you, but one of my co-mods may decide otherwise.

funny enough touting is not illegal, what can i say i waited in the cold lol. I will not be the only one with them to sell. Be annoyed if you wish simple fact is i have them and can do what i wish with them.

I know by the way they will fetch good money. Saying that i do know how guys who missed out feel, i was the same for slane i attempted the online booking but not a hope so i was not getting caught out again. If and when they play croker again be ready very early to que.

But i do accept the tout rule that has been made i will not attempt to sell my extra ones here. Not that i had in the first place lol was delighted to have them

• Advertisement

also seems people here are angry they did not get a ticket. What!!!!!!!!!!! did you people think it was not going to sell out fast. I had a buddy on the net while i was in the que. I was fairly sure the site would be overloaded. So cry your hearts out people but if you wanted them you could have standed in the cold like the rest of us. I shall enjoy the best gig ever :D

dark_knight_ire, I hope something happens that makes you miss the concert. A couple of broken legs caused by some of the guys who tout on a more professional basis might be a fitting cause.

The ignorance of your posts in these threads today has been abhorrant. Lots of people are very dissapointed that they didn't get tickets. These people have been dissapointed by pricks like yourself abusing a badly designed system put in place by a shoddy company. Remember that. Every person you see posting about not being able to get tickets is miserable because of fúcktards like you.

In fairness, he did queue overnight. All I did was try online.

Still, he's a touting bastárd regardless of how he purchased his tickets.

Touts = Scumbag Bastards
    dark_knight = tout

=>

True enough. Just for the record - I didn't get any tickets either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Well in fairness if your so die hard ya couldve got up soo early that ya could have got the tickets before dark night. You may not agree with touting but thats the way the world works mate! Your just gonna hafta get over it really :p

No ColHol, that's the way the scumbag side of the world's population work, not the law-abiding citizens of this country.

I missed out on tickets this morning but have since gotten one at face value from a friend who bought one extra knowing that many of us wouldn't be able to get them, so I'm not bitter about that, I just hate scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Sleepy wrote:
    No ColHol, that's the way the scumbag side of the world's population work, not the law-abiding citizens of this country.
    Uh, last time i checked we all live in the same world mate. Such is life. When ya find the magical land where no scumbags exist drop me a line :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus someone is scumbag because they bought a few tickets to see Major Ego and his band and wants to sell them.

And here was me thinking a scumbag is someone who mugs you or murders and robs :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well anybody who really really wanted to see them would have queued over night. Or else join U2.com to get preference over the riff raff..

I had the good nights sleep knowing I had my ticket in the bag already. So there is no use complaing now about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement