Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

about the U2 tickets that go on sale Friday

Options
  • 01-02-2005 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As we all know U2 tickets are on sale Friday at 8am.
    I am comtemplating going into work an hour early and seeing if I can purchase a few of those tickets online.
    My questions for the good people at boards.ie are :

Has anyone tried buying tickets for big events like this online ?
    Does the ticketmaster just freeze up and only ppl who q all night in the cold get tickets ?

I should mention I have a pretty nifty work pc (P4 3Ghz etc) and a decent broadband connection (512 MB)

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

i saw on the news yesterday if your a member of theit fanclub you can purchase them on their website if thats any kind of help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Only if you've already signed up .. it says new registrations are too late to be in for the pre-sale.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I wish I had a half gig connection at work!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Alot of UK people signed up for the fanclub last week to get in on the presale for UK tickets last Friday, and alot of them couldn't get onto the presale site (it crashed under the strain). Therefore alot of people payed £30 (or whatever the membership price was) for nothing.

For the Slane gig a few years ago, some work colleagues and I came into work at 6:30am on the saturday they were on sale (due to go on sale at 7am). 1mbit connection, and still couldn't get onto the U2 page on the ticketmaster website.

Things might have improved in the last year or two, but I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I've done this (booked at work from a fast connection) you just need to navigate to the page where the sale info says "sorry not on sale at this time" or whatever and then keep refreshing every 30 sec or so, when the tickets go on sale, the refresh will take longer due to the busy server but you'll still be in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

get to the page where you are just about to click to buy. open lots of this page up (ctrl+n) then click, dont wait for the reply and click on the next explorer box on the taskbar and click buy, repeat for lots and go back, hopefully one will have worked

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

I bought some presale tickets monday morning on ticketmaster website. It was frustating but I eventually got through.

Firstly it also brought up a page pretty much saying to use IE and turn off security and privacy !!! (screen grab attached)

They seem to have introduced two throttling pages. You may hit the first one early on in the process. It simply says that things are busy and it auto refreshes itself every 10 secs - it does eventually work.

The second throttling page was when I committed my transaction on the purchase page, it said that too many transactions are in progress and to keep hitting the refresh button. I did, and eventually got through, though I went through this whole process twice as the first time, my 5 minutes transaction timeout expired -- grrr

So all in all a pretty rough and ready (read unprofessional) sales experience, but the site DID NOT crash, so I guess that was their goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

rubadub wrote:
    get to the page where you are just about to click to buy. open lots of this page up (ctrl+n) then click, dont wait for the reply and click on the next explorer box on the taskbar and click buy, repeat for lots and go back, hopefully one will have worked

Sounds like good advice but does this mean that you could get billed more that once? or end up buying more thickets thatn you wanted to (not that that would be the end of the world)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

oxygen wrote:

I should mention I have a pretty nifty work pc (P4 3Ghz etc) and a decent broadband connection (512 MB)

:D

I dont think it would matter what size pc you have or what connection - I have 3Ghz and 1G and tried yesterday to get other tickets and ticketmaster was down - due to the amount of connections to their server. Id say you might get some if you keep refreshing - Ctrl + F5

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ticketmaster are a disgrace.
    Watchdog is running a piece on the shambles that is the U2 Presale tonight.
    I am a member ,paid my $40 yet my access code doesnt work.
    My email account on U2.com doesnt work either.
    There are still tickets for the 25th June available in the Presale but my code refuses to work.
    I was able to get tickets for 3 concerts on the Elevation tour in 3 different countries without a hitch.
    Those Presales were free to use.
    I have a High speed connection ,top PC the works.
    Allowing people to buy a max of 6 tickets is outrageous.
    It should be only 2 to stop the touts .
    I'm sure alot of average people will become touts for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭monster_fighter

Downtime wrote:
    I dont think it would matter what size pc you have or what connection - I have 3Ghz and 1G

Sweet moother of Jebus.

A 1 gigabit net connection?

Who do you work for?

NASA?, MI5?

oxygen wrote:
    Sounds like good advice but does this mean that you could get billed more that once? or end up buying more thickets thatn you wanted to (not that that would be the end of the world)

No, when you click on it you will be brought up with "step 1", you have to go through a few more steps to actually buy them, so if you have more than one window you can just close it.

I have done it on ebay a few times. There was a guy who sold 10 of a single item which all ended at the same time (well 10 second intervals), I opened 10 pages twice, (20 pages) placed bids but had yet to press confirm (last step). Then I kept refreshing all the pages to see which ended up cheapest and lashed in a bid in the last few seconds (aka sniping)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭hungryhippo

If somebody wanted to queue up in the cold, where would be the best place to do it? HMV Grafton Street?
    Wondering what time I would need to queue from? 5am be early enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

If somebody wanted to queue up in the cold, where would be the best place to do it? HMV Grafton Street?
    Wondering what time I would need to queue from? 5am be early enough?

I wouldn't think 5am is early enough. When U2 played slane I queued from 11 o clock the night before, and was still some bit down the queue. I did manage to get tickets though. My advice would be to get there as early as possible because tickets will sell out in a matter of minutes

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Ring , The Soundceller in Nassau Street and speak nicely to Tommy , if he is stocking tickets for the gi you can pop in and collect them from him .

I've seen hundreds of people queing outside HMV on Grafton Sreet and not a sinner in There .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

sharkman wrote:
    I've seen hundreds of people queing outside HMV on Grafton Sreet and not a sinner in There .
    There are people queing outside HMV now, or you've seen people queing in the past? It's madness if they are starting to queue allready.

Has anyone checked out ebay yet? There's tickets selling for in excess of £300!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It seems people have begun to queue.
    Have these people any lives ?
    Apart from them being nuts the fact is that the Presale is still on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

How many are going on sale for each day? I presume Croke Park will hold over 100,000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Skyuser wrote:
    How many are going on sale for each day? I presume Croke Park will hold over 100,000
    80,000 apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Pauly26

v10 wrote:
    80,000 apparently.

Id say more like 60,000 there going to have the hill end closed :(
    80,000 is when they have fully house for the matches

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Pauly26 wrote:
    Id say more like 60,000 there going to have the hill end closed :(
    80,000 is when they have fully house for the matches

Ya but, they're filling da pitch full of people.

80,000 seats
    Take away 15,000 for da stage
    = 65,000

Then however many fit into da pitch, I'd say well over 100,000 people will fit in. It'll b da same layout as da Special Olympics and dat had over 100,000 people at it.

sharkman wrote:
    Ring , The Soundceller in Nassau Street and speak nicely to Tommy , if he is stocking tickets for the gi you can pop in and collect them from him .

Soundcellar usually get hard tickets, as in printed tickets, HMV get them the same way as online, so it is like queing up for a guy on a PC, if they sell out in 10mins they are all gone.
    Ring soundcellar to and ask how many they are getting, then look at the queue size to know it is worth staying or not(if there is one).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I thought HMV had stopped selling tickets a while back... so my friends hubby says who works in HMV blanch

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Pauly26

Does soundcellar ever get off the phone, have been getting the engaged tone all morning,
    Have the number 6771940 is that the right one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

Pauly26 wrote:
    Does soundcellar ever get off the phone, have been getting the engaged tone all morning,
    Have the number 6771940 is that the right one?

set up an auto-dialer and sit back tiill someone answers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

tck wrote:
    set up an auto-dialer and sit back tiill someone answers!

How do you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

sharkman wrote:

Better still, if you go in to the sound cellar some lunchtime Tommy is normally decent enough to take deposits for tickets (I got them for the last few irish U2 concerts like this.)

You give him 20 quid for each ticket you want and he sticks your name in a book. Then you drop back when they're on sale and pay the balance and hey presto !

Santa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

How about another Ticketmaster agent. Soundcellar already mentioned. Celtic Note is another on Nassau Street.

For a U2 gig many years ago a friend said she went to an agent in Maynooth and was 4th in line having only turned up 30 mins before they opened.

Look up Ticketmaster's site for a list of agents and ask them if it is useful to go to them. The agent might get a commission and should welcome the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Isn't there also a ticketmaster desk in the Jervis Centre? Anything would be better than giving those ripoffs the commission for booking online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

Better still, if you go in to the sound cellar some lunchtime Tommy is normally decent enough to take deposits for tickets (I got them for the last few irish U2 concerts like this.)

You give him 20 quid for each ticket you want and he sticks your name in a book. Then you drop back when they're on sale and pay the balance and hey presto !

Santa

I'm sure he'll love you for posting that on a public message board.

Advertisement