Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American Southern Girl Seeks Guidance

• 30-01-2005 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

I will be in Dublin for a short stay in May. Any suggestions on where to stay, what to do (other than the conventional touristy stuff), where to eat, where not to stay, where not eat? Thanks ya'll.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Hello.

Try Afterhours. Should get the info you need there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MizzKattt

Thanks for the push in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Ah, was about to linky, but Rabies beat me to it :D

I'm almost afraid to ask, but since my accent is a little noticable...what is the general conception of southern Americans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He! I would'nt worry about that unless you carry a burning torch and a cross!

Mike.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to pack light, so I'm afraid those will have to wait until I have a more extensive stay. I'm also trying to leave the buckshot, the camo overalls, and the chewing tobacco at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You just passed the test with flying colours! :D

Mike.

Any quick suggestions on what to see in Dublin and surrounding areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

As Rabies mentioned above, try the After-Hours section. You'll get a much better response there to any questions, since the 'feedback' forum isn't really the place for this kind of question and not many people would check it that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Dublin City Forum might also be a source of info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

MizzKattt wrote:
    I'm also trying to leave the buckshot, the camo overalls, and the chewing tobacco at home.
    I thought it was spelt tabaccy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

MizzKattt wrote:
    I'm trying to pack light, so I'm afraid those will have to wait until I have a more extensive stay. I'm also trying to leave the buckshot, the camo overalls, and the chewing tobacco at home.
    Do you play the banjo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

DapperGent wrote:
    I thought it was spelt tabaccy.
    pure brilliance:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

MizzKattt wrote:
    my accent is a little noticable
    If this is true, you can stay in my gaff for free. Darlin'.

dahamsta wrote:
    If this is true, you can stay in my gaff for free. Darlin'.

It's very true, but what is a gaff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

americans southern accents are teh sex!

gaff= smelly mobile home :P

lafortezza wrote:
    Do you play the banjo?

No banjo skills, but I play a mean pair of spoons.

Gaff = House, Home, Abode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Or, ironically, a faux pas. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

MizzKattt wrote:
    No banjo skills, but I play a mean pair of spoons.
    I also use a spoon for entertainment...

• Advertisement

Or, ironically, a faux pas. :p
    Oooh, very witty maj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I spent some time in North Carolina, the women are lovely, Not too many of those firey gone with the wind type though, which was a pity.

Frankly my dear, I damn give a dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

MizzKattt wrote:
    It's very true, but what is a gaff?

We say 'Gaff' in reference to our 'house' or 'Home'!

There are many places in and around the city center you could see and visit but i wouldnt restrict your stay to just Dublin alone!Travel around a bit if you can!

With regards to your southern accent!Well it should attract more male attention towards ya anyways!

Enjoy your stay!

My best mate is from North Carolina/West virginia if thats near ya and they dont sopund that weird!

Screw Dublin, it's practically a dump. Come down to Cork, where it really is a dump!

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Travel around the country a bit and see the various things it has to offer.

One thing I'll say though, if you have any Irish heritage, don't talk about it for long periods of time. It might seem like an interesting fact now, but everyone's heard it from every American tourist a million times before, you'll do yourself a big favour by not even mentioning it :)
    (Please note, this is just an observation, I'm not even Irish)

Par example:
    Tourist: I'm actually Irish you know.
    Dahamsta: Yeah, and I'm from Atlantis. F*ck off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

check out www.indublin.ie for upcoming gigs and resturaunt/bar reviews and stuff.
    aside from that uuuuuuummmmm..... dunno, went to the gaiety theatre saturday night for the first time in years. it was good fun, a couple of good bands played and they served booze till 3am :D

Go to Anseo on Camden St. It is the best bar in Dublin. Without a shadow of a doubt. Make sure you go on the w/end though, it can be pretty lame during the week.
    What are you into doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

There's more to Dublin/Ireland than pubs and beer ffs......... like.............. ehm.................... ..... well ..................... Let me get back to you on this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No more offtopic crap in this thread. Thanks. (Looking at karlh and Papa Smut mainly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

i thought it was a very funny comment on a light hearted thread. usually you can leave my post and then say that, not delete it.

and Papa suggested a bar for her to go to. hardly off topic.

*back in my box

Please also remember OP, not all people from Ireland have a sense of humour. Be careful of what you say, even when it seems inoccous enough.

Funny comments are all well and good, but not when they're completely disrupting a legit thread. If you want to talk ****e with your mates, PM them or use one of the other numerous pointless threads on this forum.

(Though mainly I deleted karlh's posts because I had just stripped a load of posts out of this thread and dumped them in the bin, then he posted.)

Now, back on topic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Id take a bit of Konekos advice aswell on this!In my line of work we get a LOT of American tourists and they allways love to tell you about their Irish roots or the fact theyre Irish and it gets very annoying!This is providing you do have Irish roots though but its best to probably kreep it under wraps Unless your asked about it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

MizzKattt wrote:
    I'm almost afraid to ask, but since my accent is a little noticable...what is the general conception of southern Americans?
    Be prepaired for numerous fun remarks about US foreign policy. It's made all things American very popular in Europe... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭daymobrew

For ideas what to view in Dublin city look at
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/sightseeing_tours.asp
    The stops on the Hop On/Hop Off tour will indicate popular sites.

Outside of Dublin I suggest Newgrange and Glendalough.
    You can get to Newgrange with Bus Eireann. Stick 'Dublin' and 'Newgrange' into their Journey Planner to get times. Best to leave early in the morning as Newgrange gets busy, especially at weekends.
    I suggest a bus to Newgrange because a portion of the train line between Dublin and Drogheda (which is where you'd get a bus to Newgrange) is closed at weekends. If going on a weekday then get the train from Dublin (Connolly, Tara St or Pearse St stations) to Drogheda and connect to a bus.

Not sure how you get to Glendalough. A visitor to my office went there last weekend on a tour (39 euros for 10 hours) but I don't know how he got there.

In Dublin there is the Guinness brewery tour. The top of the building where the tour is held has a bar with panoramic views of Dublin city (see pic on home page).

The DART electric train line serves Dublin's coast. Nice and quick and some good places to see along it (to the north the small fishing village Howth, and nice seaside walks to the south at Sandymount, Dun Laoghaire and others).

Be prepaired for numerous fun remarks about US foreign policy. It's made all things American very popular in Europe... :rolleyes:

So no bribing locals with goods from home. Noted. Thx.

We're suckers for beads.

MizzKatt, If I may enquire, how old are you? It might help people think of things to do.

• Advertisement

MizzKattt wrote:
    So no bribing locals with goods from home. Noted. Thx.
    I hope I don't insult your intelligence by saying this, but don't attempt to pay for anything in dollars. It won't be accepted. I've heard of (and experienced) quite a few Americans trying to pay for stuff here in dollars, as if it was a 3rd world country. You'll receive a blank look and a "Eh, no, sorry". The currency is Euro, and apart from a few major stores, 99% of shops won't take anything but.

Papa Smut wrote:
    MizzKatt, If I may enquire, how old are you? It might help people think of things to do.

You may, and I am 28. Where I respect and admire our elders, I would rather do something with a bit more pizzazz than most of them are up for.

Cool! See ya then!

seamus wrote:
    I hope I don't insult your intelligence by saying this, but don't attempt to pay for anything in dollars. It won't be accepted.

Not an insult at all. I appreciate the directness. I have traveled extensively on the Pacific side of the world and this is my first time to Europe. You are right. The American dollar is a generally accepted on that side of the world. I'll do my best not to play the part of the pompous, self-centered American stereotype. I also appreciate any tips that may help me be respectful and prevent me from making any social blunders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I'll do my best not to play the part of the pompous, self-centered American stereotype.
    think you've covered all your bases there.

Restaurants:
    Some add a service charge, others don't. They usually say on the menu. I'm not sure how it works in the US, but here, generally if there's a service charge, you don't tip. If there's no service charge, no-one will look down on you for not giving a tip, but personally I'd give nothing for crap service, 5% for normal/good service, and anything up to 15% for great service.
    If a restaurant adds a service charge, you are not legally obliged to pay it. If you are unhappy with the service, you pay the amount on the bill, tell them you're not paying the service charge and leave it at that. Many Irish people (and restaurants too, probably) don't realise this.

Pricing:
    In general, all goods are priced with VAT (Tax) included. By law, retailers must include VAT on all goods intended for sale to the general public. The only time you'll see prices ex. VAT is when they are being sold to other businesses.

Anything else?

seamus wrote:
    Restaurants:
    Some add a service charge, others don't. They usually say on the menu. I'm not sure how it works in the US.

Pricing:
    In general, all goods are priced with VAT (Tax) included. By law, retailers must include VAT on all goods intended for sale to the general public. The only time you'll see prices ex. VAT is when they are being sold to other businesses.

Anything else?

Restaurants only add a service charge with a group of 8 or more and one is legally obligated to pay it whether the service is good or not. This is being debated now in some lower courts. A normal tip is 15% here and a good tip is 20% +. I hadn't even thought of that, but I am glad you did.

Tax is the same here in relations to retailed goods.

I am a little curious with conventional customs. Example: Generally doors are held open for elderly and women with children. If I do hold the door open, will it seem strange? Also, we say 'thank you', 'yes sir', 'no ma'am', etc. for everything here in the south. Will someone find it offensive or sarcastic if I carry the custom with me there?

Here you are not allowed to travel (walking/driving/etc) with an open container of alcohol and/or beer. It is punishable by law. Are there similar laws there?

Also, are there jaywalking laws?

Additionally, I will be traveling with male companions. Are there stigmatisms against the four of us staying in the same room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Manners are manners (or should be) the world over. Use them as you would anywhere else.

You probably wouldn't be arrested for strolling down the street with a beer, but only scumbags really do this.

Jaywalking isn't an offence.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I think such mannerisms would be very refreshing to most people you encounter in Dublin, certainly not anything would bring offense. :)
    With regard to drink, afaik it is illegal to drink in public places (I'm sure seamus will validate or not) Smoking is banned in all public buildings too.
    Also, are there jaywalking laws?
    Don't think so, again if there are no one pays any attention, just try not to get hit by the luas when crossing the street.
    With regard to accomodation I assume that depends on where your staying, but generally no.

The Irish are fun light hearted people (really) I think it would be difficult to offend them, but it would be good to avoid poilitical or religious discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Drinking on the streets in Temple bar is illegal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement