Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simpsons..anti- irish??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

fjon wrote:
    In the same episode (I think! This is the Paddy's Day parade one?) there is a bit left out of the syndicated version. During the parade where Bart gets drunk and staggers around, there is a shot of a very British pub, The Royal Arms or something, and you see it being blown up by some Irish Springfieldians. Might have been dodgy a decade or two ago, but was quite funny!
    Yep. It's cut out of Sky's version.
    I was in some disbelief when I saw it on BBC/RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

"Quit the whinging its a cartoon" Willheim D I was just staing a fact
    Why must you be so thick, my nick clearly states willem d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

we can laugh at you! *points and laughs*

you wouldnt be the first!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

they make jokes of all nations, the episode of lisas wedding in the future with Hugh and the burning and soiling of the Union Jack. When Mr Burns was a little kid he kept ramming his dodgem car into an Irish guy and he couldnt stop laughing about it for days :) funny one that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Its a cartoon which every kid loves no matter where you live, it dosen't insight hatred so why whing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Italians: Yay, Krustys! [applauding]

Vittorio: Grazie, grazie. You have a brought great joy to this old Italian stereotype.

Legs: No, no, Don Vittorio, you're not --

Vittorio: Yes, I am, I know it, I am.

they make jokes of all nations

quite true ruu

they are not the only show that pokes fun at the irish, as mentioned family guy has it too. hell even non cartoon shows there is fun poked at the irish, most irish comidiens joke about the irish also is that wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I like it when they make Irish references, since it's never really nasty or vicious... I think its more like a friend you've known for 10 years slagging you off about being Irish and using stereotypes... it's forgivable because you know there's no malice behind it :)
    Sure 'tis all in good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

"Ok just sit right there and let me get Detective like i give a damn"

If you dont like it, just change the channel

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭dellytots

Grandpa simpson: " the last time those meteors fell we thought the sky was falling, naturally we blamed the Irish, hung but a few of them"

Ginger(neds vegas wife): "Wanna Irish up this coffee"
    Ned: "we dont use the I word in this house"

Man theres some classic Irish quotes - All excellent!!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

My favourite Irish quote is when Homer is blagging his way backstage at U2

"Potato Man"
    "Where the Hell have you been?"

It makes me laugh every single time.

Like everyone else here I don't think that the Simpson's Irish jokes are meant in a malicious way, and as already pointed out they make fun of everybody, including themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i dont care if it is anti irish its funny so im happy i donmt care if we get the piss ripped out of us cause every1 gets the piss riped out of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 greengoddess

Marge is teaching history to the kids and trying to make it fun... they are doing Henry VIII..... Henry gets to divorcing Catherine of Oregon and she says she wants half his kingdom. He gets a page with a drawing of UK and Ireland, tears it in half and gives her the Ireland half. She says "Oh no I get Ireland" He laughs!

Priceless :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

I must admit I would probably be offended if their stereotypes werent generally true, albeit a little exaggerated to get the humour across.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

http://www.snpp.com/guides/irish.refs.html
    A list of all the Irish references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: its just a cartoon, i hate when people read into things to much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

MG wrote:
    "Watch out itchy he's irish"

"Come on, Itchy! Kill that guy!"

//

Have to say I'm quite fond of that scene myself .... and sure tis all in good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I think the Irish references are hilarious and you just need to have a sense of humour,but I think the funniest Irish reference in a show was in Family Guy,where it shows "the life of an Irishman" and woman,and then how we had a futurama style city before the invention of alcohol! brilliant stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Id really like if they had an episode where they come to Ireland expecting a warm welcome and discover Dublin is just as bad as New York. Now that would be funny

comprehensive

• Advertisement

damn you blisterman posting that link before me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

tba wrote:
    Id really like if they had an episode where they come to Ireland expecting a warm welcome and discover Dublin is just as bad as New York. Now that would be funny

Yeah they could visit places like Baille na Mhun and Bally Fermot and get robbed or attacked and maybe Homer could jump off O'Connell bridge only to land in a pile of mud and dirt, then he gets sent to hospital and gets left on a trolly(nice health service) for a couple of days, then he gets beat on by Keano and Shane McGowan offers him some drugs, homer gets rampant diarhea from Guinness, knocked down by the lUAS loses his bag on flight and an POSt arse up his bag being sent to his hotel. The flight goes on fire and Homer paracheuts out and gets impaled on the spire.

Practically writes itself.

for some reason, thats funny as its true!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Portrayal of stereotypical Irishmen on television?
    I say : Down with this sort of thing!

careful now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

what seamus said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

It definately done in jest. In the commentary on the DVDs they say how all their writers are either part Jewish or Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nitch

It is so refreshing to hear a group of people go, "yeah, we know they're joking, and we think it's funny too." God, the world needs more of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

If you cant laugh at yourself then what can you laugh at!......to be fair while most of it may be stereotypical, a lot of the jokes are at the expense of the 'im IRISH' community in the US.

As one famous (so famous i cant remember his name) political commintator said, for an American president to be successful he needs to take care of the 3 I's - Israel, the italians and the Irish.

God knows, the Simpsons take the piss out of the other two as well:D

• Advertisement

i hear they are making an episode that has yer man from that film "once" in it. (set in dublin)

Advertisement