Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Esat charging for going over the cap yet?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

dub45 wrote:
    And as I mentioned in another post the pricing policy on those exceeding the cap is based on disincentive - they dont want people doing it.
    why not? if i download 17GB why not charge me 1/16th of my monthly rate if u have to charge me.
    how is it possible that uk providers can offer 'capped' products that offer 350GB per month download for 50 euro? is the link to the uk via fiberoptic not able to carry large amounts of data? do we need more fiberoptic links to the uk? this is supposed to be a land of high tech. instead we have one of the worst telecom infrastructers in the developed world. and we know who to thank for that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Steve S

dub45 wrote:

Huh? That's not very clearly expressed. Care to rephrase?

As for the link itself, I laughed when I read this:
    The current flat-rate charging model will only result in price wars that will damage the industry and ultimately do nothing to attract new customers.

Basically, what the article is arguing is that the flat-rate model has to go because it forces broadband providers to compete. That is not surprising: we all know that companies like Eircom will do whatever it takes to avoid having to compete.

What's funny is that the article seems to be advocating some sort of mass move of broadband providers to 'volume-based' pricing. In other words: in order to avoid 'price wars that will damage the industry' (also known as: competition) we'll all collude so as to change our pricing model. And collusion is the word. The fact that it's illegal is beside the point, I guess.

What the article forgets is that 'price wars' are another name for capitalism. If they don't like it, well, maybe they should find some farming collective to work on.

dub45 wrote:

what does that mean that the majority of people who dont download much pay say 37 euro instead of 40 and the minority pay 200 euro to make up :rolleyes:
    i think u will find when telecom eire ran ready to go they required top ups every 2 months or they suspended outgoing calls. then meteor came along and their prepaid service allowed a single top up every 6 months. then o2 retaliated and allowed never needing a top up at all. what changed? competition! esat and eircom are hapily subscribing a steady stream of subscribers but when the market saturates and they can sign no more, expect uncapped services for 50euro. unfortunately with eircom dragging its heals on enabling lines this could be a long time away.

lomb wrote:
    why not? if i download 17GB why not charge me 1/16th of my monthly rate if u have to charge me.
    how is it possible that uk providers can offer 'capped' products that offer 350GB per month download for 50 euro? is the link to the uk via fiberoptic not able to carry large amounts of data? do we need more fiberoptic links to the uk? this is supposed to be a land of high tech. instead we have one of the worst telecom infrastructers in the developed world. and we know who to thank for that :rolleyes:

and incidentally it is very difficult if not impossible to retreat to capped products once a subscriber base is used to the charging no matter how 'unfair'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

They have begun charging? Oh well, I needed an incentive to fill out this IrishBroadband Breeze form.....I just got it. I think I'll take a late night walk up to the post box to make sure my form gets to IBB as soon as possible. Don't like paying to get ****ed up the ass by Esat and €ircon. They can wave my cash bye bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I expect to see Eircom going the same way soon. People who go over have no rights at all. They are simple enforcing the T&C they signed up for, they should consider themsleves lucky they got so long with out it being enforced.

I don't agree with the CAP but you get what you have no right to complain when it is enforced.

why do my overall download stats for esat say ive downloaded 15 GB and uploaded 11 GB in 6 months when i would have downloaded about 120 GB and uploaded 60-70 GB in this time. also the stats only show the usage on midnight of the 30th so say u have downloaded 15.99GB and u check this on the calculator on iol.ie. this is only valid for the night before. lets say u then proceed to download 2GB on the 31st. by midnight of the 31st it will still say 15.99GB.

the caps are insane for their top flight consumer product and eircoms are even more insane. they really are destroying their reputation (esat i mean as eircom doesnt really have any) if they charge me for breaking the cap by half a gig, i am going to transfer my phone services away from esat and everyone i meet i will tell them what i think of them. then IBB or ntl here i come for broadband services.

edit: i pulled this off another website :Infrastructure issues............

They must have (or foresee) severe provisioning problems to do this. With wholesale bandwidth prices continuing to fall (the majors like my Comcast pay something around .05 cents US per gig), it would be very stupid to get that greedy.

If they really wanted to get bittorrent and the other filesharing apps off of their network, most users probably would have preferred they QoS that kind of traffic to the slow lane.

so 5 cent per gig hahahaha even if it was twice that here even if i went 10 gig over it should cost esat no more than 1 euro. just shows how shortsighted their business model is. they will lose customers for sure, some of which will never return.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It seems everything has been re-zeroed for the begining of the year....I've just lost over 200GB of downloads. I'm back to 15Gb of downloads, weird confused.gif

Advertisement