Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby for wimps in armour....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Mweelrea wrote: »
    I retract this statement.
    There's alot more to NFL then meets the eye, Its far more interesting and tactical then i had ever imagined previously.
    Sorry for being ignorant, i'm now a convert!

That's really cool of you to come out and say that.

The playbooks that players have to learn are incredibly complicated, and they are constantly changing as offensive/defensive coordinators come and go out of the systems.

Until you have actually played the game, you really don't have an appreciation for how violent/ruthless it can be between the whistles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Of course it's not. Football evolved from rugby in the way humans evolved from the apes.

It should be noted that not all evolution results in something more complex or complicated

Having played both sports, trying to draw a comparison is stupid.
    Both require different aspects from players.

End of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR_BjW3z1Ds

Now THAT'S why they wear padding.

Brian O'Driscoll stoppd sniffling over that tackle in the last Lions tour yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Goose81

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR_BjW3z1Ds

Now THAT'S why they wear padding.

Brian O'Driscoll stoppd sniffling over that tackle in the last Lions tour yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJdqTh5yqrs

The same tackles your video showed except these boys dont get the facemask and padding.Id likle to see one get a shoulder from sonny bill williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

i always thought rugby league had the biggest hits but having said that I think that guys have a mistaken belief about the protection the pads give AF players. I mean I know a guy who had his breastbone broken through the pads last year in a game. Anyhow, we had one rugby league guy a couple of years ago and frankly he was crap. I was really disappointed as I expected a few serious hits, I think league players would be natural AF players as a general rule, yer man was probably the exception. The one thing league doesn't have though is helicopter hits which are fantastic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWBOqU1Q_dA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I always thought of rugby league is rugby for those that don't wanna break a nail... I'm a union man myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

jdivision wrote: »
    i always thought rugby league had the biggest hits but having said that I think that guys have a mistaken belief about the protection the pads give AF players. I mean I know a guy who had his breastbone broken through the pads last year in a game. Anyhow, we had one rugby league guy a couple of years ago and frankly he was crap. I was really disappointed as I expected a few serious hits, I think league players would be natural AF players as a general rule, yer man was probably the exception. The one thing league doesn't have though is helicopter hits which are fantastic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWBOqU1Q_dA

What a prat Rosenfelts is.

Care to elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Care to elaborate?

Sorry, I meant rosenfelts. I never actually saw the clip before I just remember hearing he fumbled it and the colts ran it back then got another TD to win it, I never he fumbled he such a stupid fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Goose81

It obviously depends if the guy is any good and the biggest hits come from shoulders and they are an art and cant be done well by every player,sonny bill williams was the best in the business at them.

hobochris wrote: »
    I always thought of rugby league is rugby for those that don't wanna break a nail... I'm a union man myself.

League is a harder game by far.In Aus the land of the big hits your considered a pussy if you dont play league.Im a union man myself aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ozhawk66

Violence you will never see in rugby/league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭liam09

in my opinion rugby is a harder sport in american footpal they loads of protection

Mate, watched Paul O'Connell lately? thigh pads, shoulder pads. Rugby is using padding all the time now. The helmets were US Government mandated because of the number of people dying playing the sport. I've had mates get their breast bone broken through the pads. In rugby you can only be hit if you have the ball so you can brace for the hit, in AF anybody's fair game. Because you're wearing pads you're also less likely to hold back in hits, and because you can't let somebody with the ball fall forward if at all possible (too easy to make a first down if they do) you have to give everything or hold the guy up so that others can pummel him.
    Play the sport, then judge it.

Goose81 wrote: »
    It obviously depends if the guy is any good and the biggest hits come from shoulders and they are an art and cant be done well by every player,sonny bill williams was the best in the business at them.

Precisely, it's become the same in the NFL, very few players wrap, it's all shoulder hits so I thought a league guy would be good at them. Perhaps your man was the exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I wish before commenting on this folk would actually go and play all 3 AF, R Union, R League and then decide. how anyone can give their opinion on which is a tougher sport without experiencing them is beyond me. I have tried all 3 and will never produce an answer that will satisfy this argument. I like all of them as I love physical sports you cant beat it. But all my energy these days is in American Football. Folks there is American Football in Ireland give it a try before making up your minds or giving your opinion. As the man says dont knock it until you have tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

liam09 wrote: »
    in my opinion rugby is a harder sport in american footpal they loads of protection

If you could at least spell the sport then your argument would hold a little more sway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I had no idea they loads of protection.

It's still insane that people have a perception of football as soft because of the pads and helmet. That's like saying you're weak for wearing a bullet-proof vest when you're being shot at.

"Real men just take the brain damage"

I actually don't think most people realise it's a bit of foam with a narrow piece on plastic on top. I think a lot of people think they're solid. Anyway, I wish this thread title was changed to American football v rugby or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Nah, it's great as it is. It preempts a load of crap right off the bat. And keeps it out of the other threads...

Karlusss wrote: »
    I had no idea they loads of protection.

It's still insane that people have a perception of football as soft because of the pads and helmet. That's like saying you're weak for wearing a bullet-proof vest when you're being shot at.

"Real men just take the brain damage"
    ar u okay rugby is a way tougher sports y do american football have so much protection.....
    :confused:.............
    because they cant take a tough tackle they may get a lot of spears but
    so do rugby evryone is intitled to the own opinoun so dont try argue wit me kk;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

lolwut?

LIam me boi yOu kNow noWt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

ar u okay rugby is a way tougher sports y do american football have so much protection.....
    :confused:.............
    because they cant take a tough tackle they may get a lot of spears but
    so do rugby evryone is intitled to the own opinoun so dont try argue wit me kk;)

Firstly take your text speak and head <---- that way
    > Secondly play both sports and then come back to us and tell us which is tougher. Having played both they both have their own unique toughness. I seriously hate this argument. Until you have tried both sports you are not in a position to compare them in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭noddy78779

they both have their own unique toughness. I seriously hate this argument.

Agreed 100%
    You cant compare both sports in relation to one another although they may be similar in some areas...
    The reason American football players have to wear protection is cuz in that sport you are allowed to close line, spear (basically tackle above the chest area)
    Whereas in rugby it is illegal to do so and in relation to liam09 comment on how they dont know to take a tackle is utter bullsh1t in my opinion....even if he is entitled to his opinion
    Most of these players have been playing since they were kids so you automattically cant come to the conclusion that they cant take a tackle..if they can get up continuously after a 300lb guy tackles them i presume american footballers can take a tackle
    Basically i am just saying that you cant compare both sports and stupid comments like "my sport is better than yours because its alot more physical" or "your sport is for wimps because of all that armour they wear" literally does my head in...

Thats my rant now over:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭TITAN #1

The reason American football players have to wear protection is cuz in that sport you are allowed to close line, spear (basically tackle above the chest area)

Spearing is not allowed or coached.
    Helmets are not weapons. They are for protection.

Da, I think liam09 means rugby spear tackles rather than AF ones

This is my last say in this argument there both tough sports sorry if i offended anyone
    There two different and extremely tough and great sports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭TITAN #1

Laim09, back up on that fence you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Shades799

*throws in two cents*

I've played both and enjoy watching both.

American football is more explosive. Flashes of brilliance and hard hits. Rugby is a more fluid game, with its own moment of genius, just stitched together better.

The hardest hit I ever got was in American Football, I was punt returning and fumbled, I recovered though so it was OK! :D

But I've never felt as completely empty as you do coming off after a rugby game. Sore all over and just completely drained.

In short....Move over on that fence Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 19 the dominator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Probably the most intelligent thing stated on either side of the arguement.

Advertisement