Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another new guitar...

Options
  • 15-01-2005 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭

I need a new guitar, with humbuckers, fixed bridge for drop tunings and basically something to complement my ibanez rg. I'm thinking about this.
    I know it has a standard trem but i presume it could block it off easily enough. I really like the build etc... I played one in musician inc. today and it seemed nice. It's cheaper than thomann too at €450...
    Discuss...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

Sorry i am merely asking you a question, i have no advice. One thing though i can't believe that guitar is soooo cheap. But why is it you "need" a new guitar. Just curious, as often times people question me as to why i constantly change my guitar line up. What exactly do you mean by compliment your ibanez? See i am getting a guitar with elaborate electronics with a tremolo, three humbuckers and generally a different feel to my current guitar, which has a single coil and humbucker, no tremolo. Is that what you mean, basically having two different guitars, i sometimes wonder how to justify having 2 electrics. I pose this question because i did have a second electric, and it wasn't right for me playing wise, but deffo sounded different to my current one. So now i try and way up the reasons for having a second, that said my second is on the way! In three months that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I love my ibanez, it's great it has a locking trem and HSH pickup configuration. I mean that i want a guitar that has preferably a fixed bridge and humbuckers. Just a solid reliable guitar that never lets me down.. and that JP model looks plays and sounds great. It's actually quite different to an RG which is what I'm looking for... Drop tunings mid-set are a pain in the ass/impossible with locking trem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

Oh i completely understand that. I'm always playing with different tunings, that's why the guitar i'm getting is gonna have a non-locking tremolo. All that does sound different alright, i take it you gig then? When i do eventuallt gig, and in general it IS a nice feeling to have 2 guitars that are equally good, and favoured, and as you said compliment each other, so you can use the different sounds for different songs. Rather than having two completely different quality guitars, where one is only used if you break three strings. I really think the whole not being able to tune one string on it's own with those locking trems is nuts, but i guess different strokes for different fokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jetpilot

Tried it in musician aswell (big dream theatre fan), nice body and neck, found the pickups a little noisy, could be a sweet guitar with the right pickups!
    You could always go for Ibanez 7 string without tremolo allthough similar to what you allready have the extra string and the fixed bridge make it a great guitar for alternate tunings etc, plus it has all that ibanez goodness!.

We plan to gig very soon... supposed to play one next saturday but we pulled out because we need a few more weeks to get the original stuff together... I feel the need for a guitar with a fixed/blockable bridge though...

• Advertisement

Jetpilot wrote:
    Tried it in musician aswell (big dream theatre fan), nice body and neck, found the pickups a little noisy, could be a sweet guitar with the right pickups!
    You could always go for Ibanez 7 string without tremolo allthough similar to what you allready have the extra string and the fixed bridge make it a great guitar for alternate tunings etc, plus it has all that ibanez goodness!.
    Thats a bit too similar to what i already have and i don't really do seven strings.
    Mine is the same except with edgepro bridge, wizard 2 neck, HSH, black hardware, sharktooth inlays etc... Wait a sec...! Youre just tryin to stop me buyin it so you can get it yerself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jetpilot

Wait a sec...! Youre just tryin to stop me buyin it so you can get it yerself!

I wouldnt mind it at all! Musician usually throw me a good discount, esp if I bought some dimarzio's with it! Mmmm! Now that would be sweet! Unfortunatly I just bought a Les Paul standard off e-bay :D so I wont have any guitar money for a few weeks :(

Yeah, a good dimarzio super distortion at the bridge... </drool> The guys in musician are really sound. Gave me a good discount and I only bought two pedals there. You better post some pics of that LP when you get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I love my ibanez, it's great it has a locking trem and HSH pickup configuration. I mean that i want a guitar that has preferably a fixed bridge and humbuckers. Just a solid reliable guitar that never lets me down.. and that JP model looks plays and sounds great. It's actually quite different to an RG which is what I'm looking for... Drop tunings mid-set are a pain in the ass/impossible with locking trem.

I know the feeling, that's the same reason I got hold of my Mockingbird, because the Floyd on the Virgin was too much of an ass-pain to downtune.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_prs_tremonti_se_black_egitarre_prodinfo.html

I'm seriously thinking about this again, especially since they're not making them any more...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Not sure what to make of OLP. Should be easy enough to block the trem though. If you've played on and like it then why not? Go for it.

As for that Tremonti, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Ugly guitars designed for that douchbag from Creed (it is he is it not?) should be avoided at all costs. He is not a shredder, his guitar is not designed for shredding.

Ever hear him playing properly Doc? The man can shred!

And I think that guitar is lovely and by all accounts, plays really well.

Clearly no. I just don't like the look of it at all. It just looks... wrong somehow. Does it have the huge PRS heel?

I don't know. I've never played it. It's on the word of a very knowledgable mate. The guy you met.

Tremonti is better than Fred Durst at shredding anyway...

feylya wrote:
    Tremonti is better than Fred Durst at shredding anyway...

Fred Shreds and don't you forget it :p

Ah, I see you are familiar with that video clip. Was gonna upload but my filehost is down.

Would you not get a Fred signature PRS instead, I'm sure it's only a matter of time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Doctor J wrote:
    Fred Shreds and don't you forget it :p

Stop it! OMG STOP IT!
    You've brought back some painfull memories there!!!

Doctor J wrote:
    Would you not get a Fred signature PRS instead, I'm sure it's only a matter of time ;)

Should be soon. They brought out a Good Charlotte sig guitar....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

There's a pick of Tremonti doing some shredding on this page : http://www.bill-peck.com/video.htm

I think he's good but you wouldn't be able to tell from Creed's big songs. The Alter Bridge album shows it a bit more.

• Advertisement

I think i'll forget about the second guitar for a while and concentrate on getting a new amp. I want tubes and I think the Ashdown Fallen Angel 40 combo could be the one. Has anybody played one of these? They are over €800 in Musicmaker but I've seen them on a UK guitar site for £299 sterling whichis not much over €400. I can't find a site shipping them to Ireland and thomann and musik-produktiv don't stock them. Does anybody know of a site that does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

feylya wrote:
    Ever hear him playing properly Doc? The man can shred!

And I think that guitar is lovely and by all accounts, plays really well.
    wasn't he voted best new guitarist a couple of years back? not that it means anything but... ya know.. don't ya..

cool:cool:

I do believe he was but I wouldn't put much heed in that. My point was that he can play when he wants to which is far better than someone like Rusty Cooley who can only play fast and incredibly boringly...

I think i'll forget about the second guitar for a while and concentrate on getting a new amp. I want tubes and I think the Ashdown Fallen Angel 40 combo could be the one. Has anybody played one of these? They are over €800 in Musicmaker but I've seen them on a UK guitar site for £299 sterling whichis not much over €400. I can't find a site shipping them to Ireland and thomann and musik-produktiv don't stock them. Does anybody know of a site that does?
    anyone?

Sheesh, wait til there's someone around! I have never heard of it and have feck all experience with tubes so I can't exactly help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've never played the Fallen Angel but it's gotten some good reviews. Although I think it does have a pretty heavy tone but I guess that's what you want or else you'd buy a Fender. Ask Musicmaker can you try out their one (if they've one in stock, didn't see one the other day). In anycase, if it's half as good as their bass amps it'll be worth it.

As for an online dealer, I haven't found one for Ashdown.

I don't be in dublin very often.. They had the 60 watt, 40 watt and halfstack in stock in musicmaker last friday but i didnt get a chance to try it out.

This is the best price i've found. I emailed them a few minutes ago as regards shipping to ireland http://www.fretmusic.co.uk/product.asp?numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=2166&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=304

Indeed. Apparently they do the low gain thing pretty good too. And a good clean channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Looking at the bass amps there I'm just as well buying the gear from musicmaker, it's cheaper from there but not much cheaper and perhaps more expensive when they add postage. *sigh*

Advertisement