Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What History Book are you reading?

Options
  • 13-01-2005 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭

I am currently reading 'Rising '44' by Norman Davies (he also wrote some general histories of Europe and the British Isles - nice to have around), an in-depth account of the Warsaw Rising in 1944. This was the rising of the Polish Underground or Home Army when the Soviets reached the outskirts of Warsaw...and stalled their advance. This rising often gets confused with the rising in the Warsaw Ghetto in 1943, which featured in 'The Pianist'.

Even after reading literally hundreds of history books over the course of my life, I can still find myself moved by a few (most recently, Antony Beevor's account of the Spanish Civil War) - this is one of those books. Davies is particularly harsh towards the Western Powers and their 'kid-gloves' approach with Stalin and the Soviets.

Anyhow, what is everyone else reading?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭F Fiesta

Got one over the Christmas period, just a general overview of Irish history - early and recent, which is pretty good as my knowledge of the troubles in the north is embarassing to say the least.

I forget the author though so that information is pretty useless! :D

On War, Carl Von Clauswitz (can't remember spelling off hand)

military theory from around Vismarks time, in Prussia. Bit heavy, but there's loads of gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I just bought 'In the Court of the Red Tsar' on Stalin, which received widespread praise last year. Can't wait to get stuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Antony Beevor's account of the Spanish Civil War

A great book. As are 'Stalingrad' and 'Berlin', both of which are very emotive.

I've just finished 'Panzer Leader' by Heinz Guderian, which has amazing insight into the utter stupidity and unworkable bureaucracy of the German High Command which lead to mistake after mistake, especially on the Eastern Front. It's a tribute to the spirit of the troops that they managed to last as long as they did in the face of such obstinate idiocy.

I've just started a history of WW1, I want to get an in-depth understanding as I only really know the reasons for it starting, and it's aftermath, and then vague stuff about trench warfare etc.

We should form a history book club!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Right now I'm reading Garbo: The spy who saved D-Day. I got it mainly because thats what I'm going to do for my Leaving history task thingy. So far its very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Yes "Stalingrad" and "Berlin" are fantastic a real broard insight. I wasn't as pleased with "the Spanish civil War" lots of info but not as readable as teh Other two. I am shortly going to start reading "Dresden" A book about the destruction of the city by Allied bombing towards the end of WWII.
    I'll let ye know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leandroaliaj

I'm kinda new to reading history books but hey im trying! :-P

The Albanians: An Ethnic History from Prehistoric Times to the Present by Edwin E. Jacques

Also Enigma by Robert D'Angely is a good study on prehistoric civilizations and particularly the native Pelazgs based on language. It's mostly a linguistic comparison between Albanian and Greek.

These are the most interesting ones.

Battle Cry of Freedom: James McPherson. The definitive (in my view) account of the American Civil War, a war in which over 40,000 Irish-born soldiers fought. I have read this about half a dozen times and am never bored! Should state that I did a Masters on American Civil War issues (and Irish involvement), so I wasn't reading strictly for pleasure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gibbons, The rise and fall of the Roman Empire

Its big!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭F Fiesta

PHB - How exactly did the Roman Empire collapse? Was it on the downhill for a long period of time anyways?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 BOULD THADY

" A Distant Mirror" by Barbara Tuchman is IMO, one of the best history books that has ever been written. It is based on the life of a French nobleman who lived at the time of the Black Death. If you want to understand what Europe was like at that time this is the book to read. It covers everything from his domestic life to the development of nation states and the conflict between Christianity and the Ottoman Empire. She has a very readable style while avoiding any "dumbing down" of her subject. She has written numerous books on different periods of history. "August 1914" is perhaps one of her best known books, based on the German plan to invade France. I would reccomend any of her books.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Empire: How Britian made the modern world.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

On Blondes by Joanna Pitman - an amusing stroll through the planets ruling class (both natural and peroxide varities.) Covers Greco-Roman times to the modern day ad agencies. Though some of the ways women dyed their curls during the medieval ages were hair-raising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Last things I read were Stalingrad, Berlin and The Spanish Civil War, all Anthony Beevors. I also read "Famous British Battles" and "Military Blunders of the 20th Century"

Good books, Spanish civil war one not as readable as the other two Beevor books but still good.

Now, I want to get into reading into something a little more medieval....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I'm currently reading "Machiavelli: A Man Misunderstood" by Michael White good stuff. I've also recently bought "Atilla the Hun" by John Man, only have had a brief look through it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Modern Ireland : 1600-1972 by RF Foster

Europe: A history by Norman Davies, I haven't read The Isles but this is excellent without being too heavyweight.

Recently finished Rubicon by Tom Holland which was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

ionapaul wrote:
    I am currently reading 'Rising '44' by Norman Davies (he also wrote some general histories of Europe and the British Isles - nice to have around), an in-depth account of the Warsaw Rising in 1944. This was the rising of the Polish Underground or Home Army when the Soviets reached the outskirts of Warsaw...and stalled their advance. This rising often gets confused with the rising in the Warsaw Ghetto in 1943, which featured in 'The Pianist'.

Even after reading literally hundreds of history books over the course of my life, I can still find myself moved by a few (most recently, Antony Beevor's account of the Spanish Civil War) - this is one of those books. Davies is particularly harsh towards the Western Powers and their 'kid-gloves' approach with Stalin and the Soviets.

Anyhow, what is everyone else reading?

Haha - that Rising Book is bloody long! My friend just finished it. I'm in the middle of a book on Mussolini, but it's becoming a bit of a chore, I begin a new book and come back to it later. I finished the Parnell book by Lyons recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HENRICUS

Picked up a copy of 'Montaillou' which is a wonderful read about the Cathars who were a weird pack of heretics in the early medieval period. Very bloody persecution by the Roman Catholic church (some things never change!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

'Lady Icarus' - about the life of Ireland's history-making female aviator that most people have never heard of and never gets a mention in school.
    Amazing woman.

Haha - that Rising Book is bloody long! My friend just finished it. I'm in the middle of a book on Mussolini, but it's becoming a bit of a chore, I begin a new book and come back to it later. I finished the Parnell book by Lyons recently.
    Rising '44 is long but worthwhile :) Onto Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar now. Received much praise on publication a year or two ago. Interesting look at how the inner circle of Stalin's regime interacted and the literally cut-throat battles between his favourites. I will have to invest in a proper narrative history of Stalin and the early Soviet Union at some stage, as this book does not pretend to offer that.

• Advertisement

This week I am mainly reading Armageddon by Max Hastings. I just can't get enough of that 1944-1945 period.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

Just finished reading Henry VIII's 6 wives by Antonia Fraser - an interesting look at each wife and what happened to them plus gives you an idea of the way royal marraiges were arranged.

I read a fantastic book called "Eleanor: Countess of Desmond" last year but forget the name of the author - she also wrote a book about Grainne Mhaol the Pirate Queen.

IonaPaul. Any interest in swapping Heinz Guderian: Panzer Leader and Armageddon by Max Hastings for Rising '44 and Stalin: Court of the Red Star? MY books are pretty much mint and I doubt I'll be reading them again... those history books are expensive so a swapsy might be a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭tim3115

Willing to sell Heinz Guderian : Panzer Leader?

magpie, still reading Stalin: Court of the Red Tsar (it's about 800 pages and I'm reading two or three other books at the mo) and unfortunately for you lent out Rising '44 to a friend last week, he'll be months getting through it! If you are interested in Stalin I should be finished by the end of the month.

If you are interested in Stalin I should be finished by the end of the month.

Sure, sounds good. Are you interested in either Armageddon or Panzer Leader?
    Willing to sell Heinz Guderian : Panzer Leader?

Would prefer to swap it for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭tim3115

Sadly, I've nothing to swap it with.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Griffon

I read the Rubicon finished it yesterday can not remember who it was by but it was about Caesar life and his accomplishments during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Has the last contribution to this thread been a number of years ago? Can't believe that.

Just started Dan Jones The Plantagenets. There was a prog on TV recently about them that stirred my interest and so far would recommend it. It is a narrative history. It tells us what happened next and it tells it well. At school we would have a passing reference to maybe Henry 11 but nothing at all really about any of the others eg Richard. They were so important for the history of England and it is great so far.

On my bookshelf is the Cromwell book by A Fraser. Anybody read it? Read the first few pages but have not had time to go on. But I thinkj she is smashing. read her memoir on Pinter. Saint Augustine Confessions- anyone read that? Doesn't look great but never judge a ... cover. I also have enjoyed TP Coogan's book on Dev and he has one on Collins as well I think.

Has anyone detected a sneering attitude towards Coogan and his work? Maybe based on the fact that he is not (as I understand it) a pure historian ? He has not belonged (I think) to any university history dept. That he is not really an academic? If there is this perception it is unfortunate because he he is an outstanding writer who makes you turn the page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Just finished - Jackson, The Battle for Italy and the first part of Keegan, The Face of Battle

Now reading - Orgill, The Gothic Line (and Urban, The Tank War)

Next up - Orange, Slessor: Bomber Champion followed by Slessor, The Central Blue, then Orange, Conningham, then back to Katz, The Battle for Rome

Coogan, I can take or leave. No doubt he writes well but he does come at things with a very clear agenda, which is fine as long as that can be recognised.

Advertisement