Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must have gear?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Well worth it, I'm no fan of Dream Theaters more poncey stuff, they seem to stick to the facts on this, it just rocks from start to finish. Quality.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

What's the setlist?

Know a guy in England, had a road king head. He played it through a tremoverb combo... More money than sense I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Why is it stupid people always end up with all the money to spend on brilliant gear!?

Ah, not stupid really. He just knows people and works hard. Got a student loan and blew it all on gear.

Doctor J wrote:
    Having spent a bit of time coming back to the new Dream Theater dvd, I think a Road King, a foor switch and a decent 4x10 would be just right. Why would you want to soil that tone? :D

I'm really eager to hear the new DVD now, as just looking on the website, Petrucci has THREE Road King heads!!
    http://www.johnpetrucci.com/equipment.html

And not to mention what I'm assuming are a whomping SIX Road King 4x12 Cabinets:

stagesetup.jpg

Imagine standing infront of those babies!? You'd be killed instantly! It's like some kind of sonic technique that the nazis were experimenting with to kill people in death camps! :eek:

• Advertisement

In the DVD he has 3 2x12" cabs on top of the 6 regular cabs for his clean tone. It's a really, really nice tone btw :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Give me another AC30 and a THD Hotplate for it, a simple A/B switch and I'd be laughin...

Mmm, THD hotplate :D

Na, I want a ridiculously complex rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

feylya wrote:
    TBH, the Lonestar isn't supposed to be that great...

Mesa Boogie amps aren't supposed to be great in general. But it depends who you talk to! Personally, I haven't really had occasion to put any of them to the test yet, and I'd be reluctant to pay attention to what I hear from other people.

I don't know about the V-Twin (which someone was casting doubt over), but the Bottle Rocket is the best distortion pedal I've ever heard. That said, unless you're prepared to go into serious volume with your valve amp, it's still limited to preamp distortion, which is fundamentally a bit sh*t shounding.

I'm with the Doc again. The right guitar and the right amp, and nothing else is essential... except... maybe a Hotplate. But I'm not sure yet, I've only had mine a month or so, and my amp isn't working yet so it's too early to call. But I think it might kick some serious ass. :D

Yeah, I've often said that I thought Mesa's to be over rated (from what I've heard out of them). I'd rather get an ENGL for half the price.

The V-Twin is supposed to be quite a fine pedal for all out metal but not much else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Dunno, it's just a pair of 12AX7's in a normal preamp configuration. Some standard preamp tone controls, a switch to bypass, and a dpdt switch to swap two sets of gain and master volume pots. If that isn't a distortion pedal for all styles of music, then what is? None, probably. :D

TBH I wouldn't rate dabhoys V-Twin above any Boss or DOD I've ever heard. Twas a let down, big time :(

Really? That's a surprise :eek:

At least you didn't pay for it ;)

TBH, if I was going to get a V-Twin, I'd save another few hundred bucks and get that ENGL combo I'm gassing after

What do you think of the tone on the DT cd?

I love Petrucci's tone. Always have. Just finished listening to Instrumedley. I'd love a road king and his signature guitar but I could not justify those purchases unless I won a few million.

Nonsense, twenty grand post office heist should justify such extravagance!

Well, it's about €5K for the guitar and €7K for the amp... Yeah, should have some change left over :D

I don't like the Musicman guitar though, looks fat. What sort of trem is on it?

• Advertisement

Wilkinson I think? Although, I seem to remember Petrucci designing it. I'll go check.

Ah:
    Bridge Custom John Petrucci Music Man® Tremolo, solid steel saddles
    Optional - Piezo bridge available at an additional charge

Hmmmm, locking? He's only using locking tuners, I think, not a locking bridge?

Yeah, it's not a locking bridge. :confused:

My Eggle has Sperzel locking tuners, a fabulous invention altogether, I recommend them for any non-locking guitar. I think the Steinberger has the tuning thing sussed though, tune it once, then don't tune again until you replace the strings. Shame they're so ugly though

Yeah, I'd get Locking tuners only all my guitars are locking nuts...

feylya wrote:
    Yeah, I'd get Locking tuners only all my guitars are locking nuts...

Yeah, they're crazy about the locking ;)

The S2020 is my first foray back into locking territory in over 10 years, excluding the Jackson, which I never really used. I'm not a fan of fecking around so I'm hoping it works well with a minimum of fuss

Yeah. Well, get it set up once properly with the same strings... Ah you know yourself.

Post office heist is a good plan :D

Although, my equally as dishonest, yet perfectly legal plan is to tell the credit union I need to buy a new laptop for college during the summer. There's the money for the gear right there. And yeah, I have to agree, I'm not a fan of the musicmans, but jesus he does get some phenominal tone!!

You know... I could get this Nomad 100 Head from DocJ's favourite pimp:

mesa-nomad100-head.jpg

Works out at a mere €750, then all I'd need is a nice 1x12 like this and I'd be sorted!

Thoughts?

• Advertisement

Voltages...

Advertisement