Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ THIS for Interviews, CV help, Jobsites, Cover Letters and more...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Ok im looking for a career change. And i have a couple of questions regarding my cv.

Considering i dont have alot of experience in what i want to do, does it matter in what i order i put the work history and educational details?

Can i mention that i do voluntary work under the work history or do i put it under a separate heading? The voluntary work is kind off relevant. Im looking for a trainee veterinary nurse position and i do a couple of hours a week at a dog shelter.

Should i include a personal statement or career objective? I know i should have it in my cover letter but what if the practice loses the cover letter, at least then it would be fairly clear to what im looking for.

Should i include my leaving cert results? I read that employers dont really care on how you got on with exams you did 8 years ago, but im applying for a trainee position, should i put more emphasis on educational details?

Sorry for all the questions but i don't know where to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Hi for anyone interested in a career within the arts field, jobs are listed quite regularely at http://www.creativecareers.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

In my Hobbies and Interests section I have included the following line:" I enjoy reading history books, mainly WW2 and have a small collection of WW2 memorabilia which I hope to increase over the years."
    My wife thinks this is a terrible idea as she believes many people would not appreciate an interest in WW2 as a good thing and would throw my application away thinking I was some kind of weirdo. I however think it is something I am interested in and that most people would not think anything about this being included in my C.V., it may even attract the attention of an employer with a similar interest. What does anybody else think, keep it in or get rid of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 HH Chick

Ok need help in adjusting my CV to suit the job...... I really want this job, on the verge of walking out of my current job due to a wa*ker of a boss!!!

The job critera is:
    Duties to include general office administration and customer service, providing bills for customers, monthly balance etc. Previous office experience essential. Applicants must be reliable and able to work on own initiative. Knowledge of accounts and excellent computer skills essential.

seems fab, Eh!!!

Ok now my CV, Is there too much going on or not enough going on, should things be phrased differently????

In my current position my duties involve the daily running and up keep of the XXXX Office I am responsible for the overall telemarketing of the Clinic. In addition, I set up and verify all appointments made for my branch, also, liaising with local gp’s, cleaning data on Navision, Stock control, lodging the daily cash float’s to the bank, compiling various reports of which include branch income, case history, no show and cancellations, repairs and dsm’s, incoming and out going stock. As I am the soul person in this clinic besides the XXX consultant, time management and multitasking are very important to the smooth running of this clinic

Boardies all help Appreciated, Thanks in advance ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Hi everyone, I'm a mature student making a new cv for university work placements/summer jobs at the moment and I have a problem with references.
    I haven't had a proper job in 1.5 years and am wondering whats the etiquette with references. Should i use my last employer who more than likely barely remembers me (factory job)? Other than that I don't have any professional contacts. Any thoughts welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭KarlDrake

Came across this today which may be of interest.
    http://tinyurl.com/33brhe9

However, perhaps using an English based CV expert on Irish Jobs might be a bit off? There are plenty of Irish based CV experts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Amandapanda801

You didn't include "What happens when you have to pass one of those psychometric tests"... I had to do that once, never saw it coming and apparently I didn't do so hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

How do you express if you have your final degree results but you have yet to graduate, i.e. have not had the graduation ceremony?

Should I phrase it as 2.1 grade expected or 2.1 grade awarded?

I have received an official document from my university stating that I have achieved a 2.1 grade, the graduation ceremony doesn't take place till December.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Amandapanda801

pithater1 wrote: »
    How do you express if you have your final degree results but you have yet to graduate, i.e. have not had the graduation ceremony?

Should I phrase it as 2.1 grade expected or 2.1 grade awarded?

I have received an official document from my university stating that I have achieved a 2.1 grade, the graduation ceremony doesn't take place till December.

Thanks

Well yea you just say you completed your university with a 2.1 grade point average and you will be officially graduating in december... Just say it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

OP your links for Cover Letter and Interview Article are the same, both leading to Cover Letter.

I've an interview tomorrow and would appreciate if you could correct it before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What's the general rule regarding college exam results? I'd obviously include them when looking for work relevant to the degree I'm doing, but as I'm going to be looking for a part-time job this semester- most likely in a shop somewhere- it doesn't seem particularly relevant. Should I include them or not? As it is I just have JC and LC results on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

LA3G wrote: »
    OP your links for Cover Letter and Interview Article are the same, both leading to Cover Letter.

I've an interview tomorrow and would appreciate if you could correct it before then.

Here's one for CVs:

http://www.dole.ie/cv-advice/

One for cover letters:

http://www.dole.ie/cover-letter-advice/

And one for interviews:

http://www.dole.ie/interview-advice/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The link to the CV Template on that page seems to be broken.

http://www.acme.ie/acme-cv-template.doc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Yamo2004

Sli Nua Careers in Galway offer free CV critiques - it's free, no catches. If you go here you will get the details - http://bit.ly/aqgAIy:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Apologies for the bump but I just have a question in regards to CVs, I'm using a template that has the room for the cover letter within the CV. I always tailor the cover letter specific to the job I'm applying for but I'm wondering is it bad to have the cover letter within the CV? Should I separate them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Apologies for the bump but I just have a question in regards to CVs, I'm using a template that has the room for the cover letter within the CV. I always tailor the cover letter specific to the job I'm applying for but I'm wondering is it bad to have the cover letter within the CV? Should I separate them out?

I've only ever seen them separate, the closest thing I would guess to a cover letter on a CV is your opening mission statement. ie. 'I am looking for a senior position as a xyz with the possiblity of abc' type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

CV and Cover Letter are separate documents usually. Its more professional and be easier to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I use the e-mail as the cover letter, and the CV as an attachment. Never had a problem with this.

This is also how most job websites send your job applications to people.

Advertisement