Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethically Thinking

Options
  • 06-03-2001 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

You've probably seen this b4 but;

TWO ETHICAL QUESTIONS TO PONDER

Q1: If you knew a woman who was pregnant, who already had 8 kids, three
    who were deaf, two who were blind, one mentally retarded, and she had syphilis;
    would you recommend that she have an abortion?

Read the next question before scrolling down to the answer of this one.

Q2: It is time to elect the world leader and your vote counts.

Here are the facts about the three leading candidates:

Candidate A:
    1. Associates with crooked politicians and consults with astrologists.
    2. He's had two mistresses.
    3. He also chain smokes and drinks 8 to 10 martinis a day.

Candidate B:
    1. He has been kicked out of office twice.
    2. He sleeps until noon.
    3. He used opium in college.
    4. He drinks a quart of whiskey every evening.

Candidate C:
    1. He is a decorated war hero.
    2. He's also a vegetarian.
    3. He doesn't smoke.
    4. He drinks only an occasional beer.
    5. He hasn't had any extramarital affairs.

Which of these candidates would be your first choice?

Decide first, no peeking, then scroll down for the answers.
    Candidate A is Franklin D. Roosevelt
    Candidate B is Winston Churchill
    Canididate C is Adolf Hitler
    and by the way:
    If you answered yes to the abortion
    question, you just killed Beethoven.
    Interesting, isn't it?

[This message has been edited by Keeks (edited 06-03-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Well the second question,shows the value of a Good CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Beethoven:
    All your symphonies are belong to us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Very good, but i don't like the way it presented Winston Churchill as a 'good' world leader,God i hate that fat fu<k!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually Adolf Hitler did have a mistress (at least one I remember).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Hitler did not drink the 'occasional beer'. He was teetotal.

Whilst it's true he did not have any extra marital affairs in that he only married Eva Braun the evening they killed themselves on 30 April 1945, he was implicated in the suicide of his 13 year old niece Geli Raubal.

There's quite a bit of documented evidence that he had a sexual affair with her and had some hired goons cover up her 'suicide' which was under most supicious circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

B4: Present tense? No he doesn't. He's dead.

C1: I'd hardly call HIM a "hero"!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:

C1: I'd hardly call HIM a "hero"!
    </font>

I think you misunderstood, it said 'war hero', which means he was given a medal for his bravery in combat during World War 1, which is a fact wether you like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Keeks.
    Most interesting thread in ages, methinks. biggrin.gif

My answers were (1) no, and (2)actually, B, Churchill, because he seemed pretty human and less dictator-like in his habits.

I read a book of speculation and gathered evidence about the realtionship between Geli and Hitler. Really interesting stuff, I am darned if I can remember its name though.

Also, ever seen the book "Moral of the Story"? I think it's on a college syllabus but it's available from many bookstores. It's broad, but brilliant, and filled with really thought provoking ethical questions. You might like it.

Give me back my towel. I'll sue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Re: Q2 if WWII had gone the other way, it would be case of C, or else. Therefore does that mean ethics are just based on which ever side won the most battles or is there a universal rulebook? Answers on the back of a cornflake box to the usual address.

fair is the prize and the hope is great

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

that's good I liked that smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I thought Hitler died by popping pills?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Manach:
    Re: Q2 if WWII had gone the other way, it would be case of C, or else. Therefore does that mean ethics are just based on which ever side won the most battles or is there a universal rulebook?
    </font>
    A general rule might be that the more ethical person is probably not someone who advocated the extermination of a whole race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Castor Troy:
    .There's quite a bit of documented evidence that he had a sexual affair with her(his niece).</font>
    indeed.His own sexual habits have come under some intense scrutiny redface.gif.Apparently he also liked to be kicked by women,and p|ssed on. Also was rumoured to be freakishly underdeveoped.not that this would make him a worse person in itself, if he wanted to get p|ssed on then thats fine,but as for having sex with his underage niece,well obviously thats not fine at all.His parents were also cousins, obviously this was seen as the ultimate in racial purity wink.gif.
    The problem with these questions is that they are phrased very selectively.Its deliberately misleading.Add in "Had freakish sexual habits", or "Believed in racial purity" to C's description and see how many peoples choice he'd be then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

lol very good! biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

i had no opinion on either three because you failed to supply rather neccesarry points for me and politicians:

oratorical skill
    where he stands on issues (abortion, 3rd world poverty, envioronment, social spending, military spending etc)
    his/her education

in the first one i didn't kill beethoven. smile.gif

Well Hitler was one of the most compelling orators in history..... You can't really fault him on military spending either smile.gif

by military spending, as castor troy copped on to, i clearly meant that i vote for the man who spends the most on guns. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

Beethoven is already dead.... (nevermind it's bad humour).

I chose yes to the first and B on the second question.

Beethoven was an overated musician (or dog), the world can do without him.

Churchill seemed like a fun guy instead of the politician geek he was made out to be.

J'ai dormi sous l'eau.

Lucy la morte.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lucy_la_morte:

Churchill seemed like a fun guy instead of the politician geek he was made out to be.
    </font>

A fun guy????????????????? lol, after Oliver Cromwell, Churchill is the biggest enemy to the irish people since sliced bread.
    He wasnt a politician, he was a brave SOB who knew enough to incite bravery in others to beat the nazis.

[This message has been edited by Winning Hand (edited 14-03-2001).]

My nationality is French, so he is allowed to seem like a fun guy to me.

J'ai dormi sous l'eau.

Lucy la morte.

[This message has been edited by Lucy_la_morte (edited 14-03-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Winning Hand:
    Churchill is the biggest enemy to the irish people since sliced bread.</font>

erm are you sure? how about lloyd George and Baldwins policies i think they come higher up the list of anti irish british prime ministers,not really sure what your beef is with Chuchill though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Sheesh I didn't even know that the English
    had "beef" back in those days. Anyway if
    we r looking for the english man that did the most damage ya gotta go back to Cromwell.

You never expect the Beefy Inquisition !!!

smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lucy_la_morte:

Beethoven was an overated musician (or dog), the world can do without him.

</font>

yeah, i'm sure you have heard a whole lot of beethovens work..

Beethoven was one of the most influential musicians ever, without him, music today would not be the same

And the award for the most ignorant comment of the day gos to...

i'd wager that award goes to you Kaiser.

not least because Lucy made that comment yesterday.

but primarilly because she shared her opinion on a musician. music is relative.
    she dislikes Beethoven. big deal.

the major ignorance here is in your presumption that a very advanced, intelligent girl like Lucy might not have heard Beethoven's work.

Lucy: I respect your opinion and feel no need to demean it.

She didn't say she didn't like Beethoven, she said he was 'overrated',
    i don't have a problem with anyone disliking his music but i would think any true music lover would see the influence he has had on music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I thought she was trying to be funny. Remember those godawful films with the dog??
    *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Relax excelsior!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Darthmise, why didn't you post to tell Kaiser to relax? He was the one picking a fight...Excelsior just stuck up for Lucy.

I think Shakespeare is overrated and currently irrelevant. In fact, I might almost say I hate his work.

That said, there is nothing in my statement that implies that I deny the influence he has had on worldwide literature. Neither do I deny his worth.

Also, man, do I hate Francis Bacon - I think his stuff is pretentious and talentless. He's pretty darned popular too though.

And Lucy is 14. I think she is extremely eloquent and frankly rather brave, to come into this place and air her views.

GO LUCY! biggrin.gif

Give me back my towel. I'll sue.

• Advertisement

What make's today's music so important? If Beethoven was so influential then wouldn't it be interesting to see what music would be like without him ever existing today?

As for people actually sticking up for me.. Erh? That doesn't normally happen.. *looks suspicious*...*hides*.

J'ai dormi sous l'eau.

Lucy la morte.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement