Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl FTA Receivers Dec 30th - €70

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

thats great, right after christmas and just before new years

where is one to get the monies required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Robbing banks is currently in fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Erm.... it doesnt say anywhere on that ad that its a satellite receiver, let alone an FTA one.... ?????

All the other bits i.e. Dish, LNB, sat meter and wall fitting are there.... http://www.lidl.ie/ie/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20041230.index

Very odd piece of advertising...

Poor description alright. If you look in the item description though it mentions DVB radio reception + teletext. Anyways the pic is of a Comag SL55 which they had last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

nice price especially with optical and coaxial digital audio out

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

I know its probably been asked before, but what sort of channels can you pick up with this? Would it be possible to do a DIY install?

Best bang for your buck is Eurobird 1 - Astra 2A - 2B - 2D.
    www.flysat.com/tv-uk.php

DIY should be OK with the satfinder. Just watch out for low-flying reindeer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Can you just whip out your Sky box and replace it with this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Colm80

You certainly can just FTA stuff you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Valentia wrote:
    Can you just whip out your Sky box and replace it with this one?

Yes and then do a scan of FTA free to air stations!!!! To get full value connect it to your hi fi if you have one!!!:D :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I know very little about Satellite television and so would greatly appreciate answers to the following -

1) Can people who have seen the advert tell me if these are good quality units?

2) Are they good value or is their better value to be got elsewhere in Ireland?

3) Are these two items of equipment all I'll need to view digital satellite TV programs? Or will I require extra cabling, etc?

4) What channels will I be able to view? And are they free to view? In particular are there any Spanish language channels (as I'm currently trying to learn the language?).

Lidl are also offering two other items that they call 'Essential Accessories' - a Sat-Finder for Eur9.99 and a Single LNB for Eur9.99.

5) What is the benefit of these, especially the LNB?

6) Are they really 'essential'?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The LNB is what picks up the satellite signal off the dish, so a dish without an LNB is useless. Also, you'll find it difficult to align the dish without a sat finder.

You won't get Sky channels on this setup. Mostly european stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

In fact someone already put a link to the channels you can receive on this sort of setup. http://www.flysat.com/tv-uk.php
    It pays to read the thread before posting :P

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I bought the receiver when it was last on sale in October and it is an excellent receiver but it is not for DIY installation!. The LNB and the 80 cm dish were fine too. The Sat Finder I found to be useless and had to have the whole thing installed by an expert - and these guys are very hard to find and some of them highly unreliable, I speak from experience.
    If its Eurpean Mainland languages like French Spanish German etc you want, this offer would be well worthwhile but maybe you should find an installer first - a reputable one who will actually come out when arranged and agreed. If you find one of these let me know and I will pay a finders fee!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

the last time these came up you couldnt get your hands on them, people were queing in the middle of the night for them, especially foreigners so that they could get there own channels.

anyone in the d15 area have one and is it any use. can you get all the channels from the link above on it

are they worth leaving dublin and going to kildare or wicklow to get them or does anyone know of a lidl that isnt really that busy and i might have a chance. Blakestown, finglas and blanchardstown or out of questions as i find them too busy.

eth0_ wrote:
    In fact someone already put a link to the channels you can receive on this sort of setup. http://www.flysat.com/tv-uk.php
    It pays to read the thread before posting :P

Yes, I realise that now but the "Eurobird, Astra, etc" lingo put me out - I'm a newbie you see and that stuff doesn't mean anything to me. So, sorry about that and thanks for the answers lads - I think I'll make my way to Lidl tomorrow morning then :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If it's free Spanish channels you're after, I suggest Hotbird at 13°E.

On Astra2/Eurobird at 28°E, it's mostly English speaking, though I think Euronews contains a Spanish audio soundtrack if that's any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Im off now to pick up another one of the recievers and a bracket or 3. Oh and some of that nice double chocolate ice cream :)

Bah. Work. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

DMC wrote:
    Bah. Work. :(

Huge Queues this morning ... 50/60 at 08:30 in Blanch ...

Sure they are all gone now !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

the Spanish channel TELESIERRA is the best !!!!!!

very enjoyable after 11pm.

free to air

Does anybody know if i can just buy the LNB on it's own from LIDL. i want to add a sat to existing setup.

Is it difficult to squeeze 16e in between hotbird13e and Astra19e on a bracket ?

As discussed before, thats why there are too few Lidl's per population in Dublin. Trim or Edenderry would've been good bets for those with a car and dont mind travelling an hour or so. Edenderry was where I got mine before, but I still had to queue, but not as near as many as you'd get in Blanchardstown or Finglas.

LNB....They were advertised separately.. so yes.

Has anyone got one yet?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Ernest wrote:
    I bought the receiver when it was last on sale in October and it is an excellent receiver but it is not for DIY installation!

Just in case Ernest has put anybody off, I also bought the complete rig from Lidl. I had absolutely no satellite TV experience and I'm officially the world's worst DIYer (just ask the girlfriend!) but I was able to set it up myself in a couple of hours with very few problems. If you don't mind going up a ladder, can drill four holes in an outside wall, and have or can borrow a set of spanners you should be able to install everything fairly easily.
    Ernest wrote:
    The Sat Finder I found to be useless

I found the sat finder absolutely invaluable. The trick is to turn the dial way down to just one or two LEDs, then adjust the dish gradually - very gradually - until all the LEDs light up and the high pitched whine gets loud enough to start to annoy you. Of course it helps to have a rough idea what direction you're facing to begin with - if you're looking for Astra 2 (28.2 E), then pointing the dish towards the sun at about 10 a.m. is a good start. And remember:
    - you only have to move the dish a tiny amount to make a huge difference to the reception
    - when set correctly the dish will probably point much lower in the sky than you expect. To the naked eye my dish actually looks as though it's pointing at the ground rather than the sky, so don't let this take you by surprise.
    Ernest wrote:
    ...had to have the whole thing installed by an expert - and these guys are very hard to find and some of them highly unreliable, I speak from experience.

It's a great shame you ended up having to go this route. To anyone else having installation troubles, I suggest reading these two threads:

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=147912&page=1&pp=25

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=181365&page=1&pp=20

and posting here with any questions. It can be done fairly easily - believe me, if I can do it, anyone can. My advice is don't waste your money on professional installers when you could be spending it on equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭savemejebus

just picked up the kit (minus the receiver as i've an old sky box and fta card) in Lidl in Nenagh and they've at least 15 left (dish and receivers) if anyone in the tipp area is looking for them.

Haven't gone about sticking it up yet but took a quick look at the Lnb and it seems to look the same as any others i've seen and says "universal" on the pack so i can't see why it wouldn't work on a different dish. Of course how you would mount it (2 on 1 dish) could be a different story

If anyone can get to Ballinasloe they have some recievers and dishes left as far as I know. I was the last in the queue (about 30people) and yer man said they had "tonnes" left.

Picked up two of them and a reciver, 3 brackets and an lnb. Oh and a case of Stella and Ice cream.

LOL @ Ronan. Good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

LIDL Moore Street. Lunchtime

100 dishes left.

0 receivers

0 LNBs

I told a few people ahead of me in the queue who seemed to think they could watch sky one on the reciever that they couldnt. They still replied with "sure we will see" Still good for the FTA channels. I got the dish just for 28east tbh will keep the overlords happy with BBC'S and can finally get rid of the last horrid chorus box we have and get full control of my dish back :)

Rockbeer, thanks for the great advice and invaluable links!

I went and got all the gear this morning - there was only about 20 people in the queue 10 minutes before opening time. Ah, the advantage of living 'out the country' :)

Now, to prove that I really live 'out the country' can I just ask another stupid question. Yes, I have give a quick read through the links supplied and so on but can't find an answer and need a very quick answer so I can go back to Lidl right away if necessary...... so, can you only 'tune into' one satellite at a time? I presume you have to point the LNB at one satellite only? So, do I have to get a second LNB to be able to 'tune into' two satellites at once? If so, is it easy and 'normal' to mount a second LNB on my (new) dish?

Thanks for your patience :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

So can u pick Eurobird 1, Astra 2A, 2B and 2d all at the same time or do u have to pick on of them. Sorry for the stupid question but I dont know much bout satellites. Someone also mentioned that euronews had a spanish soundtrack, is there any version of it in english

Advertisement