Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do!!??!!??!??!??!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

what kind of software would you get with those interfaces? I've looked into guitar rig alright... tbh i'm not too impressed with the examples on the site

*edit* plus the EDIROL UA-25 can handle midi which is a plus cos the mbox can't :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I presume the mbox comes with a protools licence which is always nice to have, but I wouldn't factor software into your budget. You can always buy licences once your project moves beyond the bedroom (sorry for advocating theft, but we are poor, think of it as buying on another form of credit!). As far as guitar rig goes, I was perhaps wow'd by how much it can do. I've never had a POD, but based only on the fact that it was sucking up 60% of the cpu, I imagine it's at least as good as ... and, ahem ... free

I don't know what software came with our edirol (not an ua-25), it has ASIO drivers so it works with Cubase SX 2 without hitch and I presume almost any other package around. I'll check when I get home.

Also consider a condenser from studioprojects, whatever in their range you can afford. I've used a B1 (cheapest) and a C3 (not so), and they are both very good, probably more bang-for-buck from the B1 as it is dirt cheap. digitalvillage.co.uk is a source for them (shipping 20 something pounds, but they're also good for any other recording gear, thanks to some boards person for pointing me to them!)

yeah i find digital village a lot cheaper than thomann sometimes.. reason 2.5 is around 366 in thomann, it's less than 300 in DV!!

Did you get cubase with the interface?
    and, ahem ... free

please do tell more:)

The mbox does come with very well regarded preamps though, I don't think the edirol pres would be any match (though they've sounded fine on our fa-101).

But let me talk about midi!! If you only have need for one powered xlr preamp (with one other 1/4' jack pre) then consider an m-audio Ozone. It's a midi keyboard, with lots of midi knobs and stuff ... AND ... it's an audio interface. A friend I haven't talked to in a while has one, and I think he loves it (he loved it before he got it, I hope it's lived up to his expectations). I think it's potential is just brilliant, from albeit limited use in composition on the PC to quite comprehensive control of whatever sound processing/sampling you are doing with reason/guitar rig etc, as well as of course recording. I am hoping this friend will take his on stage at some point and blow my mind :D

newband wrote:
    Did you get cubase with the interface?

I just had a look at the box, only the driver came with it, which is a bit of a surprise as I'd have expected one of the cheap recording apps to be bundled, so if you get the ua-25 don't expect anything else in the box.

Rob

p.s. sorry for dragging this away from the guitars ;) That tele has a real purty finish to it and you know it would have a good range in comparison to the strat, three pickups in there and you might even be able to coil tap the neck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Don't get a pod.

Get the Mbox now. Pro Tools will open up a whole world of possibilities, the guitar can wait. Sort out your recording setup asap, it will pay off in the long run. Get the Factory Bundle (about €600 or so) which comes with Amplitube (which will do your guitar tones as well as the pod).

As for mics, get a 58 (take the pop shield off and it sounds like a 57)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Can you get Pro Tools 6(?) for Windows XP?

Yep, Pro Tools 6.7 LE for Windows XP.

LE? Isn't that the free version???

Nope, that's the version that works with an Mbox, Digi001 and Digi002. There's a stripped down old version of LE available as a free download.

Newband, get Pro Tools whatever you do, you'll need to know it if you want to work in the music industry, simple as that.

• Advertisement

i want to get pro tools for the simple fact that i know how to use it! :)

I might try and get the bundle on my mothers card, pay that off in jan, and get the guitar on my card and pay that off in march.. i can't use my epiphone for recording, the pickups are fúcked!!:D.. So i may as well try and get both at the same time:)

Rob, thanks for the pm, i'll try myself and let you know if i need any help, much appreciated;) So you reckon that tele might do?

Doctor J wrote:
    Nope, that's the version that works with an Mbox, Digi001 and Digi002. There's a stripped down old version of LE available as a free download.

Newband, get Pro Tools whatever you do, you'll need to know it if you want to work in the music industry, simple as that.

Is it your intention to move into the recording industry? If that's the case then it is a good idea to stick with Pro Tools as DrJ says, however if you are doing this to record yourself & your band, there's absolutely no point in going anywhere near Digidesign due to cost.

Cubase doesn't have the respect that Pro Tools demands as it used to suck in comparison, but it's as good (and certainly prettier!) these days, and the all under 1 roof solution from Digidesign is also getting outdated as other vendors improve the stability of their recording interfaces.

It depends on whether you need to put this stuff down on a CV or not ... you may just have to suck up the cost.

edit: didn't see your post there, no problem.

i would love gettin into the industry, but that is way way down the line, i'm no where near as experienced enough to even think of that right now!! there's soo many other things i'm thinking of doing aswell, all of which involve music... i might possibly decide to to go on and study it as a mature student.. who knows!! right now i'm thinking of my own studio for my own personal use, getting ideas out of my head.. i have so many and with a good set up i can really experiment! somethin of which i could never really do just by playing along in my bedroom:(

It's impossible to find musicians these days, or at least finding one's who are good, accomodating, and a drummer!:D so i've given up on that for now

So i'd like to record everythin myself, guitar, bass, drums, various instruments.. except vocals, i can't sing for ****!! it's a concept i like as i'll have 100% input on everything and it will be all my ideas.

If you record stuff at home you want to mix or add to elsewhere then go for ProTools. It is the industry standard, so you'll be able to bring projects to other systems and work on them there, you won't be restricted to your home setup.

cool.. looks like pro tools it is.. any other suggestions for the guitar? fat strat sounds good, although costs considerably more than the standard..

i do like the tele that was posted.. mmm

Have a look through here http://www.chrisguitars.com/

1.00 Euros = 1.34 US dollars

Exchange rate: 1.340150
    Rate valid as of: 12/21/2004

:D

2003 Fender ’72 Reissue Telecaster Custom

http://www.chrisguitars.com/fen72telecust-03bk.jpg

$529... mmmmmm

395 euro

Be less than €500 once shipping and import duty are taken care of... nice :)

Fender ’72 Telecaster Thinline Reissue

$550

And Duty mightn't be so much of a problem in the new year. GLS put every parcel through customs but they no longer have teh licence to deal with American post in Ireland :D

• Advertisement

how long is shipping from the u.s? might keep an eye out.. can't order anythin untill the 6th of jan tho:(

Yum yum, I'll be having second helpings of that :D

He'll send it via regular mail (cheaper but anywhere from 1-4 weeks) or by UPS etc (double the shipping and 3 days- a week). I'm getting mine sent over through regular mail, usually it's around a week or so and saves big €€€

Grrr, I want that H-302. Must start saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Doc, you're not allowed to link to that site anymore, my pockets are empty enough as it is, I can't afford 12 new guitars and a new amp!

I shouldn't look at it myself, got a new one coming in January I'm going to have to explain to the missus :o

But we'd be stupid not to take advantage of the situation... especially with those nasty musicmaker folk spamming the Boards with ads. We'll show them, eh? :)

i just had a mail back from Digital Village about shipping to here... 40 EURO!!! does that sound right? plus i have to ring them to order, unless they're open till about 10pm tonigh i can't ring them,, plus itll have to be my ma to ring them as i have to use her card.. and i don't trust her to ring them if i'm not there listening.. she'll probably end up ordering a PRS.. and they don't even sell them!!:D

Should i go with thomann? it's only an extra 10e,, plus i can just order online.. saves a lot of hassle

Unless you ordered with Thomann before, you'll have to fax a photocopy of your credit card to them.

i've ordered from them a few times and have never had to do that.. although i've never ordered anything as expensive.. will they have a history of me previous transactions?

• Advertisement

Nope. I tried to order €700, they gave me grief about faxing them the card, I told them where to cram it. Went else where and saved myself money.

Advertisement