Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally going metric on 19th January

Options
  • 16-12-2004 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/12/16/story180689.html
    Road signage goes metric on January 19
    16/12/2004 - 11:09:08

The Government has set midnight on January 19 as the date for the planned changeover from miles to kilometres on Ireland's roads.

From that date, speed limits and distances will be displayed in kilometres on all road signs throughout the country.

The changeover will cost around €10m and will coincide with a minor increase in the speed limit on motorways and a reduction in the limit on non-national roads.

An extra 23,000 signs are also being erected in addition to the existing 35,000 signs in a move that Junior Transport Minister Ivor Callely said should help improve road safety.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

An extra 23,000 signs are also being erected in addition to the existing 35,000 signs in a move that Junior Transport Minister Ivor Callely said should help improve road safety.

I wonder if the extra signs are the ones on non-national roads reminding drivers of the 80-zone.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

seamus wrote:

There's a lack of mention of a year - I have a feeling it may be significant.

There's no way that any state could change all the speed limit signs by the 19th Jan 05 - even if there wasn't the Christmas doldrums in the meantime!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

In the Independent. They're going to be putting up 65% more speed signs - this can only be a good thing.

Sign of times as 23,000 more go up to speed in metric switch

MORE than 23,000 extra speed limit signs are to be erected on our roads next month as part of the €10m metric changeover.

There are currently 35,000 speed signs on our roads - this is being increased by 65pc, to a massive 58,000 on January 20 next.

There will be shorter distances between speed signs. They will show the speed limit, with Km per hour underneath.

The signs are under wraps ready to be installed overnight by an army of council workers nationwide.

Speed limits are being cut by 10mph on the non-national back roads and increased by 5mph on motorways.

The Government is to ask gardai to exercise discretion on speeding for the first few days until the motoring public gets used to them.

Amid concerns that many motorists will be caught for speeding in the first few weeks believing speed limit signs relate to miles instead of kilometres, Ivor Callely, the minister responsible for traffic and the changeover, revealed he will be asking gardai to be flexible.

"I'm hoping that logic will apply in relation to garda detections," he told the Irish Independent yesterday.

The minister is writing to county managers telling them that the problem of multiple speed limit zones and signs on the same stretch of road must be tackled as part of the changeover unless there are safety reasons involved.

With widespread confusion expected for the first few weeks the public is to be bombarded with information in the run up to the changeover.

Under the plan the foundations for the signs will be installed and "teams of people" will put them up in time for midnight January 19.

Mr Callely, Minister of State at the Department of Transport, said yesterday the new signs would be more clearly visible than the older models. This lack of visibility has been a frequent source of complaint by motorists.

The minister said there had been "constant complaints" about multiple speed signs on the same stretches of roads and he wanted the councils who are responsible for the signs to examine this issue.

However, Mr Callely said in many cases there may be important safety reasons why a road has a number of speed signs such as dangerous junctions.

"I will be asking the local authorities to examine the complaints about stretches of road where multiple speed limits apply and where it might be more appropriate to have a single speed for the totality."

The Metrication Changeover Board is operating the same way as that set up for the switch to the Euro.

The board has members drawn from the departments of transport, environment, the National Roads Authority, National Safety Council, gardai, local authority managers, the Automobile Association and the Society of the Irish Motor Industry.

The new speed limits are: non-national roads 80 kph - 50mph (a drop of 10 mph), national roads 100 kph - 62.5mph (up 2.5 mph), 120kph on motorways (nearly 75mph). Local authorities can bring in new 30kph - 18mph at schools and other high risk locations.

Treacy Hogan
    Environment Correspondent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

18mph? Are they for real?

ambrose

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

18mph? Are they for real?
    Yep. At school crossings or heavily pedestrian areas, for example. Two places I can think of would be on the approach to Lucan village - at the schools, and also at the corners of St. Stephen's Green. They'd want to have a maximum length though, say 500m, and also a time-dependency, i.e. they only apply between 6.20 am and 7pm. Won't happen though, and somewhere, someone will set up a ridiculous 30kph limit, 3 miles long, that the Gardai will use to generate revenue.

The statement that "people might be confused" is ridiculous. Anyone who doesn't realise that there's no way in hell that the speed limit is in mph (80mph on the Tallaght bypass? C'mon!) shouldn't be on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

fjon wrote:
    "I'm hoping that logic will apply in relation to garda detections," he told the Irish Independent yesterday.

Garda...logic...seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

when exactly are these signs going to be installed?

There has been no driver education so far. Are they gonna send out books to everyone explaining all?

With a month to go it seems to be a shambles.

Bond-007 wrote:
    when exactly are these signs going to be installed?

There has been no driver education so far. Are they gonna send out books to everyone explaining all?
    They're gonna be done overnight allegedly.

Tbh, I don't think anything needs to be done. A few ads, maybe, a book would be way over the top. New limits will be posted with "km/h" (or something similar) written underneath the limit. Fairly self-explanatory.

seamus wrote:
    They're gonna be done overnight allegedly.

Tbh, I don't think anything needs to be done. A few ads, maybe, a book would be way over the top. New limits will be posted with "km/h" (or something similar) written underneath the limit. Fairly self-explanatory.
    I know, but you know the Irish. There will be some boyo caught doing 120mph on the Portlaoise By-Pass. "The sign said I could do 120!"

An aside, i notice that no enabling legislation has been brought in to cover the new limits.

Bond-007 wrote:

As noted by others, it doesn't take a lot of education. Something like "read your speed off the km/h scale from now on" should cover it.

Earlier publicity of the switchover indicated that there is a plan to send an info-pack to every licence holder including (FFS...) some sort of plastic ready-reckoner which they figure you should fix to your dashboard somewhere. Frankly, consulting a ready-reckoner while driving instead of just reading your speedo should definitely be a pointable offence. Much worse than telephoning, at least you can do that with both eyes on the road.

Dermot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Borzoi wrote:
    There's no way that any state could change all the speed limit signs by the 19th Jan 05 - even if there wasn't the Christmas doldrums in the meantime!

No need to, make it law that the figures on the sign are the limit in Km after the change over, and tell people that any old signs are to be considered as a Km/H after 19th Jan 2005 untill they are changed/replaced.

No need to, make it law that the figures on the sign are the limit in Km after the change over, and tell people that any old signs are to be considered as a Km/H after 19th Jan 2005 untill they are changed/replaced.
    That won't work. What about the national speed limit sign?
    So on the motorways the traffic will be going at 70kph? not a chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭ED-209

Driving a Jap bike as I do I welcome this change. Saves me having to work out what speed I'm doing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bond-007 wrote:
    Maybe if they got rid of the toll the average speed on the M50 might actually get nearer 70Kph

And they have already said "I didn't know" won't be an excuse for people choosing to break the "wrong" limit.

December would have been a good month to do it what with operation free flow and all that meaning that traffice is usually a lot slower than the speed limit for most commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

If a driver can't see that a speed limit sign has KM/H or KMPH speed limits or whatever and abide by the speed limit on that sign, then he/she should not be on the road. It's not a particularly difficult thing to comprehend. Even if I had been living under a hole in the ground for the next month or so and came up for a drive at the begining of Feb for example - If I was driving on the M50 and saw a sign for 120 KM/H, I would want to be a seriously stupid f*cking thick not to know that the speed limit had gone from 70mph to 120mph, considering the fact that the speed limit sign is already labelled in KM's. If people were that stupid to be confused by that, then they are as thick as Sh*ite!!! Speedometers are either dual (mph and kmph) or else jap import (kmph only) so there is no excuse in this country to be confused unless you are stupid.
    What if I went to Australia tomorrow and rented a car and saw a limit on the high way of 120. If I was as thick as sh*t I might somehow mistake it for mph but I'm making the presumption that anyone that can legally drive on public roads can tell the difference between kmph and mph and would have at least read up on speed limits of a country they were planing on driving in.
    Rant over - Off to bed now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Bond-007 wrote:

I assume the few motorways we have will get new signs from Day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Speedometers are either dual (mph and kmph) or else jap import (kmph only) so there is no excuse in this country to be confused unless you are stupid.
    Some cars are mph only. The only example I can think of is an 03 Merc, but I'm sure there are others. As to whether Merc drivers think they can go at 120mph, that probably depends on whether they have a Government minister in the back.

ED-209 wrote:
    Driving a Jap bike as I do I welcome this change. Saves me having to work out what speed I'm doing.
    Driving a Jap bike, I don't. My speedo has no kph at all. I'm used to it though, cos my last bike was all in kph, with no mph, so I know the kph speeds and their corresponding mph. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

I noticed when they "upgraded" the Easy Pass lanes at the M50 toll-bridge a month or so ago they put up new Kph speed limit signs. These have now mysteriously disappeared. I reckon someone told them to remove them until the "official" date :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Let's hope they site the signs so that they are usable by drivers. There is a 30 zone on the Naas Rd inbound from the Red Cow to Long mile. The roundall for the speed limit is right on the round about where it is difficult to tell if its for the round about or for the naas road. Furthermore, drivers are manoevering at this point and concentrating on other matters.

We also seem to have a lot of different standards when it come to speed signs - microscopic round signs (e.g. at Belfield) to diamond shaped signs on the Naas Rd. There should be a standard sign size and positioning. Personally, I think its very effective to have the speed limit painted on the road surface beside the signs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

The statement that "people might be confused" is ridiculous. Anyone who doesn't realise that there's no way in hell that the speed limit is in mph (80mph on the Tallaght bypass? C'mon!) shouldn't be on the road.

Doesn't mean it's not going to be used as a defence in court, and probably successfully too.

Seems somewhat pointless to me. Maybe spending the money on the crappy roads or a driver education programme might be more appropriate.

Does this mean all new cars are going to have KM/hr as the main dial on the speedo as of Jan 2005? No? Didn't think so.

Why don't we switch to driving on the right hand side of the road while we're at it?

magpie wrote:
    Doesn't mean it's not going to be used as a defence in court, and probably successfully too.
    "I read the sign, and thought it meant miles per hour"
    "So you didn't see the 'km/h' written on the sign?"
    "No."
    "So you admit you were driving without due care and attention".

Although, knowing this country, they'd probably get away with it, as you say.

magpie wrote:
    Does this mean all new cars are going to have KM/hr as the main dial on the speedo as of Jan 2005?

Yes, by law. In fact, at least one car dealer has km/h speedos on the bulk of the new cars currently on his forecourt. BTW, the norm is going to be km/h only, no miles on a secondary scale.
    magpie wrote:
    Why don't we switch to driving on the right hand side of the road while we're at it?

Because that would be hard to the point of impossibility?

Dermot

Yes, and utterly pointless. Much like changing to Km/h as far as I can make out.

Given that the government has sneaked its way past EU directives allowing free purchase/movement of cars in the EU with it's frankly sly and cynical VRT presumably they could have found a way out of the whole Km/h issue if they had bothered, thus saving us €10 m.

magpie wrote:
    Yes, and utterly pointless. Much like changing to Km/h as far as I can make out.

You're missing the point that finishing the change to km instead of miles is actually performing a public service. Not only is it handy for those of us with km/h-only speedos, it also finally lets us all perform the kinds of useful and obvious calculations that were always difficult:

So, if Limerick is 200km away (by sign) and I'll manage to average 50mph, how soon will I be there? And if my car does 45mpg over those 200km, how much fuel will I use up? And if petrol costs 91c per litre, how much will the trip cost? FFS...

Frankly, the only silliness involved in this switchover was in failing to do it back in the 80's when the distance signs changed. I started school in the 70's, and at no point did anybody ever teach me about miles or gallons or feet or yards or any of those other cumbersome units. Sure, society guaranteed that I found out about their existence, but laziness and a dislike of mental arithmetic dictated that the imperial system and I would never be friends. Now, finally, things will be simple.

Dermot

Frankly, the only silliness involved in this switchover was in failing to do it back in the 80's when the distance signs changed

Agreed. Either stick with the old system or make the change in one go. How much would it have cost to change the distance signs back to miles? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how have the Brits gotten out of doing this?

and is it really a good idea for new cars to get rid of the mile scale altogether - plently of drivers will still be driving in the north & UK a lot.

(actually I presume this is because they already make km only speedos for the continental market and don't want to have to manufacture 3 different types of speedos)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BrianD wrote:
    Let's hope they site the signs so that they are usable by drivers. There is a 30 zone on the Naas Rd inbound from the Red Cow to Long mile. The roundall for the speed limit is right on the round about where it is difficult to tell if its for the round about or for the naas road. Furthermore, drivers are manoevering at this point and concentrating on other matters.

We also seem to have a lot of different standards when it come to speed signs - microscopic round signs (e.g. at Belfield) to diamond shaped signs on the Naas Rd. There should be a standard sign size and positioning. Personally, I think its very effective to have the speed limit painted on the road surface beside the signs.
    I've always assumed that the small signs were to remind you that you are still in a 30 zone or whatever. And the big signs were to let you know that the limit has changed.

Still there are a lot of signs that are semi hidden or overgrown, will these be sorted out ?

Re manuoevering and concentrating on other matters - how about the adjacent junction of long mile / naas road / nangor road - that is freaky when there is poor visibility like rain at night. Apart from the ones that are properly shielded you can see about 14 lights change at a time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

mackerski wrote:
    Sweden managed to switch which side of the road they were driving on years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

robinph wrote:
    Sweden managed to switch which side of the road they were driving on years ago.

Many years ago, back in the 60's IIRC, before they had built much in the way of motorways etc.

Advertisement