Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] CIE fares set to rise in new year

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Victor wrote:
    Aircoach have one of the major UK bus companies as an investor.
    afaik they are completely owned by a large multinational name escapes me might be metroline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

afaik they are completely owned by a large multinational name escapes me might be metroline

'First Bus', I think it is :)
    O.k....but I have never seen one of their buses, whereas I can't go anywhere without seeing countless Dublin Bus buses.

Have you ever been either in the City Centre or on the Stillorgan Road? They're everywhere - Blue coloured coaches. Can't miss 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Ray777 wrote:
    'First Bus', I think it is :)

I think your right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Nuttzz wrote:
    I dont advocate a ryanair approach to everything but surely making public transport more expensive is a retrograde step.
    Just to say that the missus and I are flying to Cork via Ryannair next month for a total of EUR 86 (all in incl check-in costs), it was too costly to get the train down EUR 120.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

talk about resurrecting the dead! have you factored in the costs of you getting to dublin airport and from cork airport to city centre? suppose it depends on where you live and where in cork you're going but if it was me i'd chose the train - no check in delays, no having to go through security, walk for 15 minutes from security to gate (in dublin) check in times at both ends all add up to extra hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Just to say that the missus and I are flying to Cork via Ryannair next month for a total of EUR 86 (all in incl check-in costs), it was too costly to get the train down EUR 120.
    Single fare by train Heuston Cork is €31 if bought online or €32.20 including the 90/Luas city centre transfer, available all trains every day. Seat guaranteed or money back

Return vary on when you come back but start at €61 either online or at the station, €44 day return Cork Dublin exists after 9:30 am every day except Sunday and Monday

No idea where €120 is coming from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

2 people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

My bad sorry

That said there is a €52 return available if you get the weekender card which costs 10 euro (valid 12 months) for a trip out on Fri/Sat/Sun and return any day before the next Tuesday, again guaranteed seat or money back and you choose which seat if booked online, ticket posted for free if booked a week in-advance. Available all trains Dublin Cork up to one hour before departure

Its now rare for the ryanair fare to be cheaper. As pointed out you need to account for the costs getting to the airport each way where as the train fare can include the Luas for 1.20 extra each way and its 6+ euro by direct bus to the Airport, then add in baggage charges check in charges and credit card surcharges (its one transaction but its charged at €3 per passenger per flight), IE charge none of this crap to be fair so its a false economy in most cases

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

oldposts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

bk wrote:
    oldposts.jpg
    It's not an old thread if its still applicable today.
    Someone predicted in this thread that it was a bad move to increase prices,
    and as I've said, I only realised just how back this move was when I went to book a flight to Cork from Dublin.
    On the one hand we have airlines reducing fares and on the other we have CIE increasing their prices. Grant it, I must admit that I have booked my flight 4 WEEKs in ADVANCE and therefore would benefit from the early booking discount.
    MarkoP11 wrote:
    As pointed out you need to account for the costs getting to the airport each way where as the train fare can include the Luas for 1.20 extra each way and its 6+ euro by direct bus to the Airport, then add in baggage charges check in charges and credit card surcharges (its one transaction but its charged at €3 per passenger per flight)
    As I said our fare was EUR 86 all in(check-in, baggage etc), except the cost of the bus from Donnybrook Church to the airport, and the cost of the corresponding bus in Cork. This is not to even include the time saved.
    I know the train from London to Paris is cheaper & quicker than the flight, but not in Ireland in MY case.

• Advertisement
Advertisement