Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schols

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revelate

Methinks there can only be 70 foundation scholars at any one time. So if say 20 foundation scholars finished in 2004 they would count the 20 highest results in schols this year and make them foundation scholars. They get to go to more meetings and apparently can be sued as part of the body corporate of the college.

Was lucky enough to get schol this year..damn hard work but worth it in the end. One of my friends got exemptions from all of the summer exams and was on summer holidays from the end of march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 guwh

True.

The foundation scholars are shareholders in college. College is owned by the Provost, the Fellows and the Foundation Scholars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

hrmmm do the foundation scholars have any control over how its run tho?
    the 70 or so of em couldn't just decide to i dunno sell the college?(i imagine a nice dividend to the shareholders...)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

has anyone any idea how hard the schols are for science? trying to decide whether i should bother studying my ass off or not.....if anyone has done them do ya know if physics or chemistry would be harder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 atlas

has anyone any idea how hard the schols are for science? trying to decide whether i should bother studying my ass off or not.....if anyone has done them do ya know if physics or chemistry would be harder?

As stupid as it sounds - it depends on how much you like the subjects and how good you are yourself. Thought check out the exam papers and talk to some scholars - just ask around people usually know the ones in their class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I did schols in science but I did biology I and II. Depressingly I got a first in one paper of Biology I and failed the other paper so I only got an exemption in Biology II. The exams aren't much harder than the summer exams, some questions overlap. Generally the questions just have longer answers and you're expected to have a broad knowledge about the subject as opposed to just know how to answer the bare minimum. My proudest moment was filling an entire answer book with pro's and cons as regards the evolution of sex.

As stupid as it sounds - it depends on how much you like the subjects and how good you are yourself. Thought check out the exam papers and talk to some scholars - just ask around people usually know the ones in their class
    i shall do that- actually come to think of it i think i know someone who did them in science last year...why didnt i remember that sooner! :o
    My proudest moment was filling an entire answer book with pro's and cons as regards the evolution of sex.
    and thats why i should have done biology ;)

except the whole learn off this mountain's of book lark :s dunno how they do that subject at all at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Captain Planet

So if there are 70 foundation scholars, how many non-foundation ones are there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

no idea cp. go to tcdsu boards and ask there, or specifically ask daithi who is very helpful.

unless someone around here knows???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

I'm doin schols this year (BESS) and was hoping to get some advice from people who sat them, espically if you managed to get a 1st. Things like the number of hours you studied, the way you studied the material etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

-Stevo

Also there's a boardsish 5 aside being organised in trinity, if any of yeas are interested pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

*hisses at the BESS infidel*

:p

lol, it not vary madly between courses how many hours you'd have to study?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

if you want a first you should have probably have started studying already and not be wasting time on boards. I thought I was sorted for schols last year, I was wrong.

John2 wrote:
    if you want a first you should have probably have started studying already
    uhoh thats not good to hear, i figured i could start studying over christmas?! thats not too late is it??! (well dont have much choice now since only one week left...incidentally woohhooo :D )

It depends on the person, the course, the paper, what underwear you have on that day...

Having done the leaving cert, you should kinda know yourself what you need to do as regards studying (or cramming)!

Just have a look at the papers a lot. And ask your lecturers who did the papers last year for sample solutions, and in the subject(s) you're weakest in, ask for extra classes, or tutorials. Or anything that you think could help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭T "real deal" J

Afternoon Stevo. It's TJ from Public Policy. I do the maths & economics and yes I'm doing the schols. Won't be too hard as I had a "chat" with the lecturer and she said she'd give me the schols on a silver plate. Anyway easy peasy they take the best 3 out of 4 and it's done over a grade average. Think positive

I do the maths & economics and yes I'm doing the schols.
    maths and econ? hrmm should probally know u then...or know to see anyway.
    someone.. wrote:
    Won't be too hard as I had a "chat" with the lecturer and she said she'd give me the schols on a silver plate. Anyway easy peasy they take the best 3 out of 4 and it's done over a grade average. Think positive
    Don't u have more than one lecturer?

Yes I've a few lecturers and obviously I was lying about chatting up some lecturer to get schols. I'll leave that till after Christmas. Are you in Maths or Economics? Don't tell me you're in Theoretical Physics.

i started in theoretical physics, moved to pure maths............................

• Advertisement

Well if you're in 2nd year you have to tell me who you are. There's not many people in maths. If you're Ruben (Swiss lad) you're dead (you didn't get me those Christmas party tickets like you said).

no i'm a 3rd yr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Im going into second year this year and was just wondering is this something that your told about or do you have to find out for yourself? and if so who do I find out from? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

your first step should be the college calendar, that gives a general overview. it really all depends on what course you're doing. also try and talk to someone who did the exams last year, they'll usually give you the best advice. try and meet with your head of dept sometime in michaelmas term (the earlier the better) and indicate your interest, and find out about the specific requirements for your course. also it's no harm letting your tutor know

Advertisement