Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlestar Galactica, episode 7: "Six Degrees of Seperation"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

ixoy wrote:
    But given that we assume the Chief and Boomer were screwing around before the attack, then CapricaBoomer doesn't need any form of communication - light speed or otherwise.
    The only one who needed communication, as I see it, was BaltarSix chip with RealSix. Since RealSix was on the ship, there was no lightspeed communication needed to communicate and transfer info with BaltarSix. And there's no indication that they were talking to CapricaSix or had any need to. It's all still plausible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Helo do all the talking regarding Boomers relationship with the Chief? AFAIR Boomer just looked down at the ground as he tripped over his tongue mentioning it.

In that case, no prior knowledge is needed as she just played along and eventually just shut him up all together by sticking her tongue down his throat.

I think (and this is a guess, not a spoiler) I see whats happening on Caprica, I reckon they are monitoring Helo and his personality and response to different situation, perhaps they are trying to figure out his personality traits in order to create a cylon model 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

It was okay...
    OOOOrrrrrrr.... since the real enemy they need to defeat is the military group of the fleet. The civilians will be easy to pick off after galactica is destroyed. Actually some ships would not survive at all if galactica left them.

They are probably learning from Helo's responses to the situations they are putting infront of him.

It would be better for the Cyklons to know what the military will do in certain situations to enable them to trap Galactica. I would imagine the Cyklons have learned from the incident with the space station/nebula type thing where galactica and the fleet got away. Simply attacking them will mean Galactica and the fleet will FTL the frack out of there and the Cyklons will have to start their search over again.

Tactics my good man, tactics. Or are they after some tictacs?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It was great!
    syke wrote:
    I think (and this is a guess, not a spoiler) I see whats happening on Caprica, I reckon they are monitoring Helo and his personality and response to different situation, perhaps they are trying to figure out his personality traits in order to create a cylon model 13.
    Actually that's an interesting idea. It's in keeping with my belief, stated over a number of threads, that this is just a massive test. But more interesting is the idea they may use this as the basis for a new Cylon - it would make a great way to end Season One. As far as I can make out they're running a series of tests, including on Galactica, trying to understand humans, working towards some mysterius will of God.

Speaking of God, Six's explanation of God was slightly simplistic. Given that they're cybernetic in origin, perhaps part of the Cylon's problem is understanding methods of faith and humanity, human diversity. So they engineer these tests to understand us, understand them, and better appreciate abstract concepts like spirituality. Again, bringing them closer to God...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

It was great!
    I like the theory of Model 13.. that at least might explain all the bollox on the planet... but I've yet to be convinced of any inter-model communication.

Regarding the conversation with boomer-helo, she did respond... but even leaving that aside, the idea that baltar's 6 could have somehow communicated at will with the other 6 after her little hissy fit with Baltar - just doesn't wash with me.

I like evidence, things I can explain etc... and so far I don't see them. Then again - that doesn't mean I'm seeing the 'whole' picture yet. There is a spoiler thread for anyone who wants it.. but I've managed to avoid peeking so far :p

c0y0te

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

It was crap!
    The scene in the command centre was gas. I thought to myself that he's never gonna get out of this one, therefore i was little bit disappointed tbh by the net result. Nothing was really achieved other than Baltars rep being increased (i think he has 3 greenies now).

I thought the picture analysing scene was a tribute to that film with Gene Hackman and Kevin Costner (i think), you know the one where he turns out to be Russian.

And finally, a note to Baltar, talking to six and other people thinking your crazy is one thing, but engaging in the funky chicken with a fantasy is quite another. I can see him now wandering around the ship with his pants around his ankles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It was great!
    Actually that's an interesting idea. It's in keeping with my belief, stated over a number of threads, that this is just a massive test. But more interesting is the idea they may use this as the basis for a new Cylon - it would make a great way to end Season One. As far as I can make out they're running a series of tests, including on Galactica, trying to understand humans, working towards some mysterius will of God.

That would tie-in nicley with Baltar's comment at the end of this episode - "was there ever an actual Shelly Godfrey?". And maybe implicitly - "was she also a total horn-ball? "

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

It was great!
    Personally I'm finding the whole re-imagined BSG fantastic. I haven't been eagerly anticipating the next episode of anything this much in a long time.

There's obviously a lot more going on than meets the eye and thats whats so intriguing about the whole thing.

Could 'God' possibly be a person? (or an advanced Cylon?)

One thing struck me though as to why the Cylons are playing around with the surviving humans so much... Is the BSG their best hope of finding and destroying the mytical 13th Colony and so ensuring humanitys final defeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It was crap!
    I was disappointed with this episode for the reasons stated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

It was okay...
    Bluehair wrote:
    Could 'God' possibly be a person? (or an advanced Cylon?)

It's interesting to note that the Colonists always refer to the "Gods of Kobol" while Six refers to just "God" in the episode.
    Is there some punishment being meted out here by the Cylons on the Colonists for worshipping multiple deities? It's intriguing and I hope they explore this quasi-religious aspect a bit more! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

It was crap!
    Haruspex wrote:
    It's interesting to note that the Colonists always refer to the "Gods of Kobol" while Six refers to just "God" in the episode.
    Is there some also punishment being meted out here by the Cylons on the Colonists for worshipping multiple deities? It's intriguing and I hope they explore this quasi-religious aspect a bit more! :D

I agree 100%. Lots of possibilities for some adult, thought provoking, metaphysical jiggerypokery. Even the original BSG series got into some arcane stuff towards the end (before they completely lost the plot)
    However, they might be a bit scared of really tackling esoteric quasi-religious issues head-on due to their need for acceptance in the American market.
    Are the Cylons a metaphor for the religious right in America?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

It was great!
    Let me first say that I *really* hope there is no moral payoff at the end of series. The way its going is challenging enough, keeping with the physical reality, the adult themes and the gritty camerwork... but the risk raised above (about keeping the americans happy) is a real one.

Good shows get cancelled regularly in the US due to their unfortunately lack of faith in anything *different*. If shows don't conform to bog standard crowd pleasing moral orthodoxy - they generally get canned by the networks because they don't get the audience figures.

This season has started off well, and looks promising, but it's still season 1 of a new show so it's future is in doubt, unfortunately. You only have to look at the track record of challenging sci-fi such as Babylon 5 or Farscape, both of which got cancelled, and only due to lots of pressure were they rescued (in one form or another).

My fear is that season 1 will all wrap up nicely, keeping the americans happy and massively dissappointing us.. but I shall keep the faith until episode 13 because (niggles aside) this series has been the most captivating piece of sci-fi I've seen in a long while, which I belive could be worthy of sharing the same sentance space as Babylon 5 and Farscape!

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Bluehair wrote:
    Is the BSG their best hope of finding and destroying the mytical 13th Colony and so ensuring humanitys final defeat?

Speaking as someone who was an absolute BSG-nut as a child, I'm puzzled at the complete lack of reference to the 13th colony in the episodes..?

I didn't see the pilot/mini-series - did they mention it much..?

Also seeing as this is a re-imagined BSG (actually so far the only re-imagined thing I strongly dislike is that starbuck is now a CHICK!!! nnnooooooo *LOL*), if they get to earth (surely 'when' if the series lasts long enough) I wonder how advanced (which year..) Earth will be.... there's room for another twist there altho I'd probably prefer the timeline in the original.

It was crap!
    soma wrote:
    Speaking as someone who was an absolute BSG-nut as a child, I'm puzzled at the complete lack of reference to the 13th colony in the episodes..?

I didn't see the pilot/mini-series - did they mention it much..?

Also seeing as this is a re-imagined BSG (actually so far the only re-imagined thing I strongly dislike is that starbuck is now a CHICK!!! nnnooooooo *LOL*), if they get to earth (surely 'when' if the series lasts long enough) I wonder how advanced (which year..) Earth will be.... there's room for another twist there altho I'd probably prefer the timeline in the original.

You bet they mentioned the lost colony and in an appropriately cynical, twisted way!

IMHO the worst thing about this BSG is that it IS a remake. I cant understand why they didn't start from scratch.

I agree with you that arriving at Earth could be very dodgy but on the showing so far I have a reasonable level of faith that they will continue to surprise us. I personally hope they will keep Earth for season 4 or 5 - oh yeah!

It was crap!
    c0y0te wrote:
    Let me first say that I *really* hope there is no moral payoff at the end of series. The way its going is challenging enough, keeping with the physical reality, the adult themes and the gritty camerwork... but the risk raised above (about keeping the americans happy) is a real one.

Good shows get cancelled regularly in the US due to their unfortunately lack of faith in anything *different*. If shows don't conform to bog standard crowd pleasing moral orthodoxy - they generally get canned by the networks because they don't get the audience figures.

This season has started off well, and looks promising, but it's still season 1 of a new show so it's future is in doubt, unfortunately. You only have to look at the track record of challenging sci-fi such as Babylon 5 or Farscape, both of which got cancelled, and only due to lots of pressure were they rescued (in one form or another).

My fear is that season 1 will all wrap up nicely, keeping the americans happy and massively dissappointing us.. but I shall keep the faith until episode 13 because (niggles aside) this series has been the most captivating piece of sci-fi I've seen in a long while, which I belive could be worthy of sharing the same sentance space as Babylon 5 and Farscape!

c0y0te

I wonder what proportion of the target audience in USA has already seen it on bittorrent? and what their reaction has been to date?
    Apparently Ronald Moore has asked potential US fans not to watch it on BT because it will impact ratings/ad revenue when it does air over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

It was great!
    The original "The Hand of God" featured the fleet recieving transmissions from Earth. If the remake stays with the original...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

It was okay...
    I went for "great" rather than "amazing".

Loved the scenes in the bathroom and in the command centre, Baltar's increasingly frantic and increasingly futile attempts to destroy the computer, some great lines ; "No more Mister nice Gaius", "You haven't washed your hands". Also the twist with the grafitti.

But.. the Caprica plot is beginning to drag. I agree it is some kind of test and I like the idea of a 13th Cylon, but just how naive is Helo? He has killed several centurions and yet the Cylons seem to be only devoting a minimum of resources to catching him. Shouldn't he find that suspicious?

As to why the Cylons want Baltar to be above suspicion, I would guess because they intend to make him do more treasonous stuff. A cylon detector that implicates innocent people and lets the real cylons get off scot free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

It was okay...
    One implication of sherry bobbins or whatever realSix's name was turning up - was - was it even Dr G who betrayed humanity?

Isnt is possible there was a cylon shagging every brainy Guy with security clearance. realSix certainly implied that she was sleeping with the other doctor.

Wouldnt it be ironic (and evil :D and in keeping with the show) if chipSix was manipulating Dr G with the guilt of something he's not even responsible for?

And God is sooo obviously the cylon overmind/mainframe. Either that or the curly haired bad guy from the original series.... (nooooooo)

edit: and how long before someone says Rock Me Dr Gaius??? Cue guest appearance from Falco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

By Virtue of centering on Gaius/Six its a solid episode.I ranked it as "great" though that feels a little gushing. Gaius swings from Playboy arrogance to helpless Panic with ease. Strangely he's the most convincing and human character in the show. But still minimal plot advancement either on BSG or Planet Crapella is really starting to grate.Im starting to think the cylon plan touted in the opening sequence is of the five year variety.
    And while i did enjoy this ep, I gave it a good on the poll,Its the same basic plots over and over again.So much is being neglected.I want to actually see some of the hapless refugees kick a fuss,Let the president sink her teeth into something...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It was great!
    The storyline on Caprica isn't that slow compared to the likes of say Angel Season 5 where we waited a full season and still didn't much satisfaction as to "why the hell would the senior partners give them their whole LA office?".

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement