Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2024 - Results

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

FG are a happy and united party this evening. I heard from the canvassing team that there was a lot of positive vibes coming from the doors (and they are the party of door knocking these days).

They possibly should have ran an extra candidate in some of the heartlands (Mayo, Galway East, Kerry, South Dublin), but overall very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Fine Gael having a excellent day - there is a lot of rich landlords and dairy farmers out there but there’s more than that voting Fine Gael then again the Healy Raes are cleaning up out of been landlords and they are topping the polls all over Kerry .
    A great day for the rich and landlords !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Eddy Fennessy (SF) has edged out Emer Toibin to top the tallies in Navan with 14% to her 13%. It's a Fine Gael 1-2 in Kells, with incumbents Sarah Reilly on 14% leading home Eugene Cassidy on 12%. It's neck-and-neck in Laytown-Bettystown with 4 candidates on 13% each - Sharon Tolan (FG), Stephen McKee (FF), Geraldine Keogan (Ind) and Paddy Meade (FG).

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2024/06/08/live-election-blog-local-elections-meath-2024/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Are you suggesting that more than a quarter of the population are wealthy/landlords?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you want to see results for your area, and at least one count is in, you can find it on the RTE site

You can search by name or click on your LA on the map.

https://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2024/results/#/local/national

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Given their insular breeding habits I'd doubt that

• Registered Users Posts: 13 HobbitRing

Sorry, I don't understand.

I'll be accused of living in a bubble. But I am part of several community groups. Have talked to folks in different jobs, and different parts of the country. Everyone is angry and disappointed at the government. Everyone wants them gone. No one agrees on who will be better, but all agree that FF FG and the Greens have to go.

Yet the election results indicate the exact opposite. Aparently everything is fantastic and the government can do no wrong. Despite a public transport system worse than war torn 3rd world countries. Etc etc.

I don't get it.

To re-use a phrase from a previous election, it's a vote of no confidence in the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭Xander10

is there anywhere that shows how many of the seats go to each area in Meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If the young are getting it so bad under FFG, why aren't they using their vote and getting them out?

Or perhaps plenty of young people are doing well enough to be happy with the status quo?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Counting has been underway since 7pm to elect councillors in Blackrock & Dun Laoghaire Rathdown LEA's.

There probably will be a official result sometime until later tonight.

There was one guy who running on a hard right platform in the Blackrock LEA in Dublin.

He works as a truck driver and lives in Booterstown. From looking at the tallies earlier this afternoon; his vote from 100% of tallies from Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council by around lunchtime was very low at 1.5% which amounted to about 181 votes.

There was another candidate who was a foreign national and ran on a pro-life platform in the Blackrock LEA.

He did get more votes than the far right candidate who lives in Booterstown. Although the number of votes from the foreign candidate wasn't showing enough clout to get him elected to the council in Dun Laogahire.

Marie Baker of FG topped the tallies in Blackrock with 3,040 votes. The Greens & FF were doing well in Blackrock LEA in 2nd & 3rd place respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Half the Independent vote is basically a vote for FF and FG as well.

The country is doing quite well.

Simon Harris got a handle on refugees which was welcomed by the public who wanted financial cuts etc. So that put that problem aside.

Sinn Fein unable to provide an effective alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I have little doubt that back in the day if the current problems in the country existed under either a FF government or FG/Labour one they would be voted out .But there is no coherent opposition so the current government have an easy enough job to get back in .For all the talk of people wanting change when it comes to the crunch they don't vote for real change. There are obviously enough people doing OK to be more or less content enough not to rock the boat too hard .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭This is it

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Babyreignbow

Personally I wouldn't ever give a vote to FF/FG/SF but I accept that our system works better as a coalition and aim to support those who can use their voice to sway or change the dynamic when those parties are in power. The opposition can be very powerful in the right context but I would never give a vote to the paranoia, distrust, persecution complex and eternal victimhood of the militant disenfranchised men and women who want to destabilize our society with their facist hate driven ideaologies.

Independents across the board have done very well and there has been a shift back to center, how it will play out in the GE will be interesting to see but there is momentum for change and hopefully it will continue.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know it's a healy rae stronghold, but in castleisland in kerry, independents got 59% of the first preference votes; i suspect that will be hard to match elsewhere in the country.

https://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2024/results/#/local/kerry-county/castleisland

• Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Incorrectly accusing teachers of inappropriate behaviour and never apologising and saying that Ireland is institutionally racist is a recipe for getting re-elected it would seem.

Maybe next time out she can call to peoples doors and insult them in person.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

RTE as giddy as NBC when Trump lost 2020,they sure do hate the shinners

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Babyreignbow

It would be interesting to see the stats but I think there is a generation who have no interest in politics.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We don't have an opposition of any substance.

Just the usual left wing student politicians and a bunch of racist scumbags cosplaying as Nazis or English football hooligans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was surprised at the Ukrainian candidate in Killarney doing so poorly when there are so many of them in the town. She only got 136 first preference votes.

In comparison in ballybunnion several hundred were registered to vote and most of them turned up to vote for the SF candidate who made their presence known to them , telling them how to register, vote and who to vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The cosplay Nazis are rightly unelected (if they couldn't sway people this time around they never will) but people keep voting for their left wing counterparts.

We should be targeting a zero right or left wing nutters result in the future. Keep the loonies out of politics, there's enough undesirables in there already.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I was surprised at the Ukrainian candidate in Killarney doing so poorly
    when there are so many of them in the town. She only got 136 first
    preference votes.

goes to show the difference between standing as an independent (presumably - or was she standing for a party?) for the first time, and having the mechanisms of a well drilled party behind you?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,502 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Paddy Holohan is in the shake-up to win two seats.

The outgoing councillor stood for election in Tallaght Central and Tallaght South.

Tallies indicate he may top the poll in Tallaght South and he has also polled around 7% of the vote in Tallaght Central.

RTE News

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Maybe she was just a c_nt. It's wrong to assume the Ukrainians were just gonna vote for a Ukrainian.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The brazilian deliveroo guy from the Parnell st attack who stood for FF only got 324 votes in the first count, a quarter of a quota

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not sure who you would classify as right wing but it looks like Gavin Pepper (I would) might get in Malachy Steenson too, Niall Boylan possibly an MEP...yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Some going, fair play to him, he is a gentleman.

Will he have 2 votes or have to hand a seat over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

He can co opt someone but it will most likely go to a sdcc vote when they convene

Advertisement